“Not a fancy chain restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Golden, Colorado
“Not a fancy chain restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Famous for their delicious smothered burritos! Not fancy but clean with great food at a fair price. Family favorite for 30 years.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
“Very average Mexican food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

This place was a very basic Mexican food restaurant. Not many customers. Not a place that I would return.

Visited April 2013
Arvada, Colorado
“Not good.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

If you like authentic Mexican food, you will be disappointed. I would rather have Taco Bell, which is gross.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Arvada, Colorado
“Hooray for Monterrey!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband and I love the Monterrey House. The salsa and green chili are like none other. We eat here at least twice a month. The taco meat is my husband's favorite in all of Denver. Try the salad plate for a delicious treat.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Denver
“Dull "Americanized" Mexican Food in an clean Diner setting.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

IF this were a 2-star hotel... I would rate it as a "5" because it meets my explications of a 2-start hotel.

I was at Monterrey House yesterday, 8/7/13. My mom has been hearing them recommended (advertised?) on a radio restaurant show with "great" reviews. So across town we went to give them a try. Should have stayed home.

Nice clean little Dinner in older part of Arvada. Simple spartan non-mexican decor that is not at all run-down. Friendly, helpful and fast couple working there.

First. I am a spice wimp. I always order mild and sometimes even that hits my limit. But I love Mexican food and usually get my fix once a week.

The Food: Completely "Americanized". The first words out our mouth is that it tasted like it came out of can. Made fresh or not... it was blandest Mexican food I have had in a very long time. The rice and beans did not taste bad... they just had no taste. Cheese enchiladas appeared to have been sliced from a brick and tasted like "American cheese-food". The salsa on the table was a sweet and mild type (just my type actually) and it was tasty and fresh. But I and others at our table had to use every drop of salsa to overcome the dull Mexican meal. Any national chain restaurant will have better Mexican dishes than what we had.

I understand that restaurants have to cater to their regulars and give them what they like. So I guess this is what the local regular customer likes.

If you like Chef Boyardee spaghetti and meatballs then you'll like the Mexican food at this clean well run restaurant.

• Visited August 2013