“Dull "Americanized" Mexican Food in an clean Diner setting.” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Denver
“Dull "Americanized" Mexican Food in an clean Diner setting.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

IF this were a 2-star hotel... I would rate it as a "5" because it meets my explications of a 2-start hotel.

I was at Monterrey House yesterday, 8/7/13. My mom has been hearing them recommended (advertised?) on a radio restaurant show with "great" reviews. So across town we went to give them a try. Should have stayed home.

Nice clean little Dinner in older part of Arvada. Simple spartan non-mexican decor that is not at all run-down. Friendly, helpful and fast couple working there.

First. I am a spice wimp. I always order mild and sometimes even that hits my limit. But I love Mexican food and usually get my fix once a week.

The Food: Completely "Americanized". The first words out our mouth is that it tasted like it came out of can. Made fresh or not... it was blandest Mexican food I have had in a very long time. The rice and beans did not taste bad... they just had no taste. Cheese enchiladas appeared to have been sliced from a brick and tasted like "American cheese-food". The salsa on the table was a sweet and mild type (just my type actually) and it was tasty and fresh. But I and others at our table had to use every drop of salsa to overcome the dull Mexican meal. Any national chain restaurant will have better Mexican dishes than what we had.

I understand that restaurants have to cater to their regulars and give them what they like. So I guess this is what the local regular customer likes.

If you like Chef Boyardee spaghetti and meatballs then you'll like the Mexican food at this clean well run restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Denver, Colorado
“Learn from our mistake”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We went to this restaurant based on its good reviews. We were dissatisfied with it so much! First off, the atmosphere left something wanting, however, that's not too bad because it means the food must be good if they've been in business for awhile-wrong! The service was okay but the food was clearly canned, their chile verde was like soup, there were no chips and salsa, and the salsa they did provide was awful. The food tasted cheap (not inexpensive) and costed like a decent restaurant, the worst of two worlds. We don't plan on going back anytime soon!

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado, United States
“One of THE BEST IN DENVER!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I am a native of Denver, Colorado. I grew up on 20th Larimer St. At that time, the Monterrey House was a few doors down the street from my dad's place of business. No matter where this restaurant was located it has always served the best Mexican food in Denver. The present owners worked with Gerardo and Grace for many years. It still is a family restaurant and it still serves excellent mexican food. I am very glad it has survived and thrived for over fifty some years.

My father owned Western Beef company and my uncles owned Johnny's Market at 20th Larimer Street.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
denver, colorado
“Jerry would never had said that”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Jerry and Grace moved back to Mexico many years ago, Jerry would never have been offended at someone praying, as he was religious. I went to the Arvada location after they sold it, the service was awful and so was the food. That's been 10 years ago, never been back, I had been eating there since I was a child, that was a VERY long time ago, {Edgewater location). I really miss the food, and the people. Leon, who was a server there (he started at the Wadsworth location) is now at Tofolinos at 26th and Youngfield.
Y

Visited January 2012
Arvada, Colorado
“We will NEVER go back!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The owner insulted us for praying before we ate and we were very offended. Their food is good but after Jerry's comment we will NEVER go back. We ate there for years without incident but we took a guest with us to the location in Arvada and were insulted.