“Gorgeous little gem filled with attention to every detail and ran with love!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of River's Inn & Swiss Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antonito
River's Inn & Swiss Cottage
You added River's Inn & Swiss Cottage to your Saves list
317 River St / 4th Ave, PO Box 457, Antonito, CO 81120   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Antonito B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Gorgeous little gem filled with attention to every detail and ran with love!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

A group of friends and myself recently visited the River's Inn cottage and were in awe of the place from the moment we entered to the moment we drove away. This is a location that dates back to the early 1900s, created as a replica of a house in upstate New York...believe me when I say there is nothing like this around!
We were greeted upon arrival by April and Tim, the quintessential caretakers of the establishment, and at or request were given a tour on the history. The reason I say this is because upon entering, one can't help but notice the exquisite detailing in architecture, the
painstaking time spent in renovations, and the selective acquiring of furniture to compliment the wooden interior...everything
was warm, rich, and inviting.
The bedrooms were presented as a cozy and quaint space in which to deflate from a tiresome car ride, which was most welcome to us. Towels and sheets were fresh, chocolates and bottled waters peppered the place, and soap was scented with a lavender/lilac combo (my
favorite)! If you spend your evening in the Jordan suite, there is a giant and gorgeous porcelain bathtub that beckons in the ensuite bathroom, and indulgence is fit even for two...according to April, it is one of the original pieces from the
house!
After sleeping like a log, I ventured downstairs in the morning to join my comrades in homemade breakfast...April had made us a hearty spread of eggs, pancakes, and hashbrowns to prepare us for the long car trip ahead. Delicious cupcakes stared us down from their spotlight as the centerpiece, that is until they dissipated as we obliged with guilty pleasure.
Lastly, and this is most important, I cannot speak enough about the hospitality of April and Tim. The two have a laid back, down to earth attitude toward something they so ceremoniously and perfectly apply their passion/experience to (April had mentioned the two had spent years in hotel hospitality). In my experiences with staying in an unfamiliar place, the difference is in whether or not you are treated as family. With the River's Inn, I
couldn't help but feel right at home.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Del Norte, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

The Rivers Inn & Swiss Cottage is a very lovely, clean and great place to stay. I have stayed there
many times wen passing thru and have never been disappointed. Good food, comfortable, and upon occation have enjoyed visiting with other guests. They also enjoyed there room, food and Ursula hospitality. By staying there you are close to different train rides, Sand Dunes for sand boarding etc,, If you love the outdoors, sightseing, this the place to stay. I can't say enough.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do..

Room Tip: She has different size rooms, depends on what best fits you..
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Loveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Wonderful hospitality. The rooms were comfortable and clean. Breakfast was delicious! We will stay again when we visit that area again. They accommodated our schedule and made sure we were comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

In early October my friend and I stayed two nights in this beautifully restored B&B. We felt lucky to find it as the personnel at the Cumbres & Toltec RR did not mention it when we asked about lodging. We enjoyed the turn of the century decor, the beautiful inlaid floor, and Ursula's knowledge about the history of the house and town. Our first breakfast was crepes which were very good and filling; the second was potatoes and eggs, also very good. My room, the Bodmer was tiny. I'm used to more space to set out my toiletries, but it was adequate. I had an electric heater, which I used at the beginning of each evening. My friend stayed in a larger room. We shared the hall bathroom, which was not being used by anyone else that week. We each had a key, so could arrive as late as we wanted and still get in.
A couple of years ago, vandals broke in and destroyed many things, but Ursula is resilient, and has recovered beautifully. I wish I could have seen it before. One evening we ate at Dutch Mill and it was fine. But I will always want to go back to Dos Hermanas to have another bowl of their menudo. We enjoyed our stay immensely and thank Ursula for making us feel at home.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Richmond, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I arranged for 7 of us, three couples and one single, to stay one week here. Ursula, the hostess, has been working hard on making this B&B a success. The decor is wonderful. The older sofa needs new springs. We sank almost to the floor. The rooms were very comfortable and decorated beautifully. Breakfast was very European, not a feast, but totally adequate. The oatmeal was served cold, with fruit. Very different and I probably won't have cold oatmeal again, but it served the purpose of breakfast. Dinner is another issue. We tried the Dutch Mill in Antonito, which was OK. The Wagon Wheel in La Jara was better. There are many places in Alamosa, too.
We wanted to be centered in the southern part of the San Luis Valley to have easy access to everything from Conejos Canyon, Manassa, Cumbres & Toltec RR, Rio Grande Scenic RR, La Jara and Alamosa, so this was the obvious choice. We were not disappointed. The large suite is very comfortable, but the shower was not functional at all. Bath is the only real option.
Our family filled the B&B, so we had the place to ourselves all week except for the final breakfast. It fit our needs perfectly. We may never have a reunion again, but this B&B was the best. Thanks, Ursula, for helping us have a very memorable reunion.

Room Tip: No AC means no air flowing around. I grew up in the San Luis Valley (Alamosa) and we never did have...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Moab, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I recently stayed one night at the charming River's Inn in Antonito. The original inlaid wood floor and art deco chandeliers are exquisite and well worth the stay, as is the crystal table service laid out so beautifully at breakfast. It was August so it was warm upstairs, but the fan cooled the room comfortably. Ursula was extremely hospitable and friendly, eager to please and accommodate my needs. I was there on the Swiss national holiday so found the porch all decorated with special Swiss flags, banners and lanterns for the occasion. All in all, I was pleasantly reminded of the bed and breakfasts I have stayed in while traveling in Europe and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I stayed in the small Bodmer room, but the most expensive room is huge and seems to be well worth th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

My first stay at a B & B. It was hot, uncomfortable and very noisy. Hotels are wonderful in comparison to this place for both value and comfort. The breakfast was disappointing too :(

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to River's Inn & Swiss Cottage? Share your experiences!