“A little Closer to Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rainbow Trout Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antonito
Rainbow Trout Ranch
You added Rainbow Trout Ranch to your Saves list
1484 FDR 250, P.O. Box 458, Antonito, CO 81120   |
london
“A little Closer to Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

My wife Lynda and i found Rainbow trout ranch on the web in London England 9 months before we went on our 5th USA road trip, and we were not to be disappointed. Firstly it was the vision of the valley and the surrounding mountains and then it was the welcome from the Van Berkam Family. The cabins are wonderful and we had a wonderful log fire in the evenings. The food was very good and far too much of it and your coffee cup is never empty. September was for us quite the most stunning time to be there--and no children--sorry i am sure that august is fun but this was grown up stuff. The horses were in really great condition and a big credit to Jane and the Wranglers for the way they are managed. One of the long lasting memories for me was in the river fishing for trout--what else-- and seeing the horses being released and charging down from the coral , across the bridge and galloping into the meadows--quite surreal. Anyway the rides were amazing , especially the all day one and the company of those that we met that week was fantastic. RTR is a location that is inspirational , can bring you close to what is real in life and help get things into perspective. All in all a truly merorable visit for us Brits, and one we hope that we can make a return trip to at some point in the future.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

Want an amazing vacation? Then Rainbow Trout Ranch is for you.

Whether your passion is horseback riding, flyfishing, hiking, trapshooting, stargazing or archery, RTR has it all.

This is our seventh year going and sometimes we manage a spring and fall trip. Escaping to RTR, quite a different world from Miami, is what we look forward to every summer.

Enjoy the brilliant blue sky, the amazing fall colors of the aspens and the variety of mountain wildlife surrounded by a background of spectacular mountain views. All this from atop quality horses matched to your riding abilities and personality whether you enjoy a mosey ride along the river or overnight trip to the backcountry.

The Van Berkums (Doug, Linda, David and Jane) have a little piece of heaven that you will want to return to year after year. They along with the fantastic staff will make you feel a part of the RTR family. Experience it for yourself, you won't be disappointed!!

Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

Although our date above says Sept 2009, we have been going to The Rainbow Trout Ranch for 14 years. It began when our children were 10 and 13 respectively because they wanted to "ride horses." We booked---and got so much more than that. The Van Berkums own and run the ranch and to return each year is like going to spend time with a branch of our own family. The mountainous setting is incredibly beautiful. The cabins are quaint and authentically decorated, yet modernized. The food is plentiful and delicious. Our children grew up here each summer, part of the "Cow Poke program" that kept them busy and entertained while my husband and I enjoyed the company of other adults out on the trail. There are over 100 horses and Jane does a fabulous job of matching each rider with the right mount. We spent some time at a different ranch where we were able to ride only "nose to butt" on a dusty trail----Not so at RTR where all types and levels of rides are offered. With all of this, what's BEST about the ranch? I'd have to say it's the hospitality.....the feeling of being part of the Van Berkum Family. Our children are now grown and on their own, but my husband and I could not imagine a year without our favorite place----the Rainbow Trout Ranch.

Minnetonka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

My wife and I have been guests at Rainbow Trout Ranch at least 4 times in the past 9 years. We have always gone to the ranch in September and have experienced the changing aspen colors and beautiful fall weather. Our experiences have always been great, whether it is the wonderful hospitality of the Van Berkum's and their super staff or the quiet horseback rides in the Rio Grande National Forest or the fly fishing on the beautiful Conejos River . . . . We have met other guests at the ranch from Colorado to Florida to Pennsylvania to England who become good friends in the short time we are able to spend with them. We definitely plan on returning to the ranch in the future!!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

Greetings from your favorite Concrete Cowboy and Cowgirl from New York. According to your latest RTR Newsletter all is well at the Ranch even the dogs. Every time a Newsletter arrives out comes the photo albums from 1997 and 1998, and Will Dudley's CD. We still talk about the Hayrides, the famous Rodeos, the great horses, the good looking wranglers (guys and girls) and who could forget THE FOOD. I'm enclosing my email address so that Doug can put it in his hat. I hope you all have a healthy and prosperous Summer. Thinking of you fondly, Bob and Viola Black

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Golden, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

The Rainbow Trout Ranch is one of those special places on this Earth. It's a place where the Van Berkum family made us feel like one of their own. It's a place where we rejoiced in nature's incredible beauty. It’s a place where a guy who rode a horse for the first time on Monday, competed in a rodeo on Saturday. It’s a place where I felt like I was living in luxury in historical cabins and a lodge 100 years old. It’s a place where my kid caught a bigger fish on his Super-Man fishing rod than I did on my fancy fly rod. It’s a place where I connected with people on an overnight pack trip the way you only do around a campfire. It’s a place where I sang songs with folks I hardly knew a few days before, and where I hoped to meet them again the next year. It’s a place where my son tasted his first cup of coffee. Rainbow Trout Ranch is a place where I learned the “cowboy way” and remembered what’s important in life. And, it’s a place I’ll return to every year.

Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Southlake, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

Our family of five (children ages 11, 8 and 5) visited Rainbow Trout Ranch to celebrate a 40th birthday and it was the vacation of a lifetime. Every aspect of the Ranch and the daily activities exceeded our expectations. The food was spectacular - home cooking at it's best. The cabins were private and lovely, each in it's own wooded setting, and cleaned daily. The scenery was the most beautiful I've seen, both on the ranch and on the trail rides. But what made this vacation so special was the Van Berkum family who run and own Rainbow Trout Ranch. They take a special interest in each family and truly make you feel welcome. They see to it that 'your horse' matches your personality and you match its. We left feeling relaxed and refreshed and made some good friends to boot. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Antonito
Elkhorn Lodge
Branding Iron Motel
#6 of 8 in Chama
4.0 of 5 stars 74 reviews
The Parlor Car Bed & Breakfast

Been to Rainbow Trout Ranch? Share your experiences!