“Totally awesome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rainbow Trout Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antonito
Rainbow Trout Ranch
You added Rainbow Trout Ranch to your Saves list
1484 FDR 250, Antonito, CO 81120   |
Brasher Falls, New York
“Totally awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I own and ride horses at home. I was amazed with the service, treatment, quality, and experience that this ranch gave. When they do not require a tip and you WANT to give them the maximum that I could afford, it tells the story. The staff, owners, horses, scenery, activities, and food are all prime time. I felt like I was safe and definitely was delighted with each ride. The all day rides were breath taking. My only regret is that I had to go home. The aura of the ranch gives you a sense peace and serenity. The family that runs the ranch take care of every need you could imagine. The cabins and lodge are very clean. The activities (which are optional) are so positive and fun. The staff makes you feel like family and you want to bring them home with you. My dream is to take my grandchildren to experience this ranch in the future. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions that I could help you with. My email is squeakbrookkbf@hotmail.com.

Room Tip: Contact the ranch and have them suggest the cabin that fits your needs. They are different and all...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Kingman, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have been repeat visitors to Rainbow Trout Ranch over the years. Whether you travel with children or adults only, Rainbow Trout offers everything you need for a relaxing vacation!
The horseback riding is second to none. Each guest is "assigned" your own horse for the week, and Jane spends much time making sure that assignment is just right. You can ride as little or as much as you want. The scenery is gorgeous and the wranglers are the best. If riding isn't what your looking for, the pool is very relaxing, and the trout fishing is superb. You're less than 2 hours away from Taos, so a daytrip for whitewater rafting or shopping is always an option. The accomodations are comfortable and super-clean. The food is AMAZING!! Especially the desserts!! You will be treated like family here--RTR is NOT to be missed!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
greenville va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I love reading tripadvisor reviews but sadly-- rarely do I do reviews. But wow—when I read the last review I just l had to respond. I was quite surprised to read: “the ranch felt a bit like a Christian summer camp.” My large extended family has been going there for over a decade and we never once felt like we’re being proselytized. This is especially true in my case since I’m a non-Christian. Religion is just not discussed. Jewish friends have felt quite comfortable in this non-denomination environment. (The only hint of any religion would be Doug the owners shrines to the old-fashioned cowboy virtues of Roy Rogers and Gene Autry). Rainbow Trout Ranch—if anything—is an old time dude ranch where computers, phones and electronic gadgets are frowned upon. The kids, instead, run around in their outstanding children’s and teen programs. The staff is incredible—an assemblage of well-traveled, educated, fun and talented young people who work at the ranch during their summer leave from university. The cabins are rustic—decorated in western theme, clean and with plenty of hot water. The food is excellent and plentiful (they bend over backwards to help with food special needs). The trout fishing is great and the hiking spectacular. For the riders in my family none have complained that the riding is anything less than fun and challenging. My wife is actually happy at times to not ride with our daughters who enjoy energetic lopping and galloping along the scenic trails and pastures. I just don’t get the last review—to each their own.

La Quinta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My mother, sister, and I enjoyed Rainbow Trout Ranch several years ago. The lodge is so beautiful and the food was fantastic. We especially loved our delicious breakfasts of melt-in-your-mouth pancakes and creamy scrambled eggs ;>) ! We also liked the free-choice seating during mealtimes as opposed to assigned seating at some other dude ranches. Some of our highlights included the line dancing, last-day rodeo in which guests participated and wranglers showed off their equestrian skills, and the performing guest musician. We were there to RIDE, so we appreciated Jane's attention to detail in terms of matching us with suitable, quality horses that were not plugs. The scenery was very beautiful, however, we were surprised that the rides were not more rigorous and varied. We spent most of our week riding on maintained forestry roads, or weaving through the same meadows, riding mostly nose to tail, with frequent breaks. In retrospect, it seems like the perfect ranch for beginning riders as Jane is an excellent teacher and horsewoman. Future guests should keep in mind that this ranch felt a bit like a Christian summer camp. Cabins are set closely together, many children run about the property, and the young college-aged wranglers and wait staff with whom we interacted openly discussed their faith during dining and trail rides. Those traits surely appeal to some, but perhaps not so much to others. Although this ranch may not have been the perfect fit for us, we still had a wonderful time in a very pretty setting.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
VisitRTR, Head Wrangler/Part of Owner Family at Rainbow Trout Ranch, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about the ranch--it is a special place to say the least. I do apologize for the fact that we obviously didn't get you onto some of our advanced rides. Our riding program is very strong and we have tremendous variety with everything from gentle meadow rides to truly advanced rides--in fact we were voted the Dude Ranch with the Best Horseback Riding in the 2013 Signature Ranch Awards. Many guests remark that our riding is the best they've come across in all the ranches they've visited. We do take short breaks on our rides--we've found that it adds to our safety-first attitude and gives folks a chance to stretch while their horses graze and relax. And while we have a wonderful safety record, we still have fun and spectacular riding with plenty of loping and other adventures, as well as mosey rides for those who prefer that. As far as being a Christian ranch, we certainly don't bill ourselves as such although we are very selective in our hiring process, handpicking each staff member based on strong values and integrity. Some of our cabins are indeed relatively close together (although we do have some more secluded cabins) and during the summer months, we do have lots of families with children who find it a refreshing change to roam at will with complete safety. Each week in the summer becomes one big family, and our 65% plus return rate is a testament to that. I am so glad that you enjoyed yourself even though it wasn't the perfect fit for you. By the way, if we had the rodeo when you were here, we were still in our summer season. I would highly recommend that you come in the "Adults Only" time given some of your thoughts and comments--and we would certainly love for you to come again so that we can expand upon your previous visit. Or we can certainly suggest some other ranches that might suit you better. We do want everyone to have the perfect dude or guest ranch vacation for them. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and please never hesitate to call or email us directly if questions or comments. Sincerely, Jane Van Berkum
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Our family of four – at that time our girls were 8 and 13 years old at the time – discovered RTR 13 years ago, and since then we would not go anywhere else for summer vacation. Over the years, we have had various family members join us there – the oldest 79 and the youngest 2 years old. We’ve had experienced horseback riders, crappy horseback riders, non-riders by inclination or medical reasons, fishermen and non-fisherman, and people who swore they would never – ever – in a million years line dance (but did) – and every single one of us has had a great time, every time.

The ranch itself is a gorgeous old wooden structure (the largest in Colorado at one time) with open fireplaces that Doug has blazing every morning, and the most fabulous wide wooden porch with rockers and chairs set to look down into the valley; one of my favorite sounds in the world is the clomping of kids in cowboy boots running up and down that porch on the way to their latest adventure (peanut butter and jelly ride? S’mores with Doug by the river? Fishing with the Buckaroo’s counselors?). The horse program is phenomenal, with excellent horses well matched to the riders (of all levels), personable and experienced wranglers, and incredible scenery to trot around in. Our kids (and nephews and nieces) loved the kids programs (three groups covering 3-19 year olds – though I caught my 21 year old playing capture the flag with the teens one night) and have made lifelong friends through them. The food is hearty ranch fare, with fresh bread rising by the breakfast fire and cookouts at the river and by the pool. And the evening activities – dances, cookouts, sing-alongs – are a blast for all ages.

What really makes this the vacation you need to reserve NOW are the people who run the ranch, the Van Berkums, and the outstanding staff they put together each year. Doug and Linda bought the ranch 20 years ago and are the heart and soul of the place. Doug is a true cowboy in spirit and bearing and is a hero to every kid who has stayed there (and not a few of us adults). He takes special time with the kids, teaching them old western songs and ferrying them around in his many horse drawn wagons. Jane and David – joined by their three kids Mary Ann, Caroline, and Derek -- run the horse program with care and skill – plus they are in the thick of all the other fun things going on at the ranch, from calling the square dances to judging the weekly rodeo.

I feel so lucky and blessed that our family has been able to spend so many summers stacking up the memories at RTR – memories of a true western experience – and claiming membership (at least for a week) in the Van Berkum clan. We’ll be back for as long as they will have us!

Marble Falls, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband, two kids (8 and 6), and I just returned from our first trip to RTR. We had a wonderful, wonderful time. The programs are set up so that there is plenty of time to pursue your individual wants and have lots of quality family time as well. Though I had pretty limited horseback riding experience, I was able to join the advanced group after two days -- some very fun loping and also excellent instruction. Even the cowpokes (ages 6-12) got to lope. Everyone is assigned a horse when they arrive to ride all week long, and both the kids (and I) fell in love with "our" horses. The Conejos River truly delivered, too. Lots of great fishing to be had with beautiful rainbow trout and brown trout. A mile and a half of river that you are free to explore at any time. They have rods and reels you can borrow, but I recommend bringing your own gear since some of the free gear wasn't in very good shape (the fishing program is not at the level of the amazing horseback riding program). We had our own gear short one rod and mostly used fake salmon eggs at dusk and dawn. RTR does an excellent job hiring college-aged, mostly college-attending, staff who are personable, helpful, intelligent, and interesting to get to know. This made the dances, meals, breaks, and walking portions of the horseback riding even more fun. Finally, the location is STUNNING. The pictures just don't do it justice. The food was great, too. So fun to not plan meals for a full week and still have tasty and healthy options. Our cabin was very cool -- one of the old ones but very comfortable and spacious and set apart from the other cabins, so lots of privacy. Twice, large does walked right by our cabin and bunnies and chipmunks and several bird species were everywhere. My only recommendation that I had for RTR at our trip's end was to upgrade their mattresses on the larger beds (that adults use). Some of the cabins are newer, so not sure this advice would apply to other cabins or not. All in all, there's no question we're satisfied. As we drove away, my 6-year-old teared up and said, "I can't believe we're leaving paradise. I wish I could turn back time by one week." We'll be back!

Albany, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

From the moment you drive up to the lodge you will not believe the world you have entered! The rustic, huge lodge complete with wrap around porch and fireplace is where you will also dine each day. The food is very good, served by college students who work on the ranch to make money for the next year of college. All of the workers are so friendly!!! Line dancing night is a blast! But wait, it gets even better! The horseback riding is out of this world! I have ridden for 5 years and was able to go on some of the most advanced riding I've ever done including riding in the river which I loved! They have over 100 horses that are beautifully taken care of, so they have the perfect horse for your riding ability and will take you on a ride for your comfort level. Seemed like heaven riding through the Aspen Cathedral with a super friendly wrangler leading the way!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Rainbow Trout Ranch? Share your experiences!