“The best vacation ever...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rainbow Trout Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antonito
Rainbow Trout Ranch
You added Rainbow Trout Ranch to your Saves list
1484 FDR 250, P.O. Box 458, Antonito, CO 81120   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
florence italy
“The best vacation ever...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Didn't know what to expect...went a few years ago with my 14 year old, and then husband. I was blown away by the grand lodge...the big porch where you can stand in the morning and see the horses driven in from the pasture...the giant fireplaces where bread is rising! Our cabin was perfect in every way...not really roughing it--the fireplace all set and ready to light! The staff is amazing. So are the horses. I am pretty critical, but after another amazing day of riding I remember saying, this place is a "10." They literally have gotten every detail right. You can get away "from it all" here, like no other place and just relax. RELAX! Remember what that is like???
Well, it is here. At Rainbow Trout Ranch. And in a way, I hate to write the review because y'all may take my reservation!! But it is out of respect for RTR and, in gratitude! Thanks, guys...you are the best!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Missouri City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This year was our second time at RTR so we are still "newbies." Most of the guests who were there were veterans of 15 or more trips. That alone says it all. It's a place you want to keep coming back to. This year our group consisted of my husband and me, our daughter and her husband, our son and his fiancee, and our grandsons, ages 3 and 5. The kids' program is outstanding! Alyssa whisked them away after breakfast, brought them back at lunch, and took them again in the afternoon. They learned horsemanship, went on treasure hunts, swam, and hiked. The rest of the staff treated them like little brothers, always keeping an eye on them. and interacting with them. As a result, my daughter and her husband were able to relax and enjoy the adult activities. The horse program is wonderful. With ten wranglers, every guest gets to take the ride he wants, whether it's an hour "mosey" or and all day back country excursion. Meals are wonderful, and the staff joins the guests, allowing guests to get to know the outstanding group of young people that make your stay so enjoyable. Finally, I cannot say enough about the VanBerkum family! Doug and Linda set the warm family tone of the ranch. ( Doug is famously quick to fill your coffee cup and tell you a story.) Their son David and his wife Jane are such fun and go above and beyond to make sure every guest is having a good experience. Jane and David's children are wonderful and already show they have what it take to be ranch hosts. Book a trip to RTR, and you will be hooked!

Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We enjoyed a family vacation at Rainbow Trout Ranch last week with 13 family members ranging in age from 9-75 and everyone had a fantastic time. The scenery is spectacular and we enjoyed a wide range of activities including horseback riding (transitioning from beginners to intermediate by the end of the week), whitewater rafting, fishing, skeet shooting, archery, hiking, swimming, gourmet meals, dancing, and the list goes on. All of the activities and amenities are terrific, but what really makes this place special are the Van Berkum family and their incredible staff. Doug, Linda, David and Jane welcome you into their family and when you leave that is exactly how you feel, like you are saying goodbye to family. The staff could not be more accommodating and are wonderful people to get to know. The kids/teen programs are exceptional and our twin 9 year old boys enjoyed all of the fun activities and meeting new friends from all over the country. Our sons probably summed it up best when they said “This is the best vacation ever!” and “Can we live here?” You will leave Rainbow Trout Ranch with memories that are simply unforgettable. We can’t wait to go back! - The Williams Family

Franklin, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have been driving from Florida to Rainbow Trout Ranch for eighteen years and I have never written a review, can't imagine why! Anyone looking for the most wonderful place in the world to spend a week at need look no further. Every thing about the ranch is memorable and wonderful.....Linda and Doug, Dave and Jane, the hired staff, food, vintage cabins, no tv, food, dancing, did I mention the food??? My husband and I have a dream that one day we will win the lottery and move onto the ranch! We recently took our 15 yr old twin grandchildren and our granddaughter has not stopped talking about it yet.you may conclude that we LOVE Rainbow Trout Ranch and would recommend it highly to everyone!!

Honeoye Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

A friend and I just got back from the ranch. I'm not much of a writer but I just can't keep quiet about RTR. What a perfect vacation! Everything was wonderful from the early morning coffee, left on the porch of the cabin, to the evening entertainment. The food was delicious. The setting in the mountains of Colorado is breathtaking. The horses were in excellent health and of sweet temperament. Most importantly, the Van Berkum family were genuine, welcoming and just made us feel like we were part of one big family!

I went for the horseback riding. It could not have been better. The rides were tailored to what the guest would like to do (safety first of course) We were paired with fine horses and I must admit I fell in love with Ford, my mustang. The wranglers were engaging and I always felt as though we were in capable hands. The days were full of sun, wind and amazing scenery. The cool nights were perfect for sleeping

We stayed in a two bedroom cabin which had a living / dining area and bath. We could have a fire in the fireplace but I must admit we spent very little time there as we didn't want to miss any of the on going activity. We hit the pool and hot tub daily after several hours in the saddle. Every evening we were treated to a tasty dinner ...remember to save room for dessert!

I cannot say enough about the staff at the ranch. They were delightful, intelligent, talented, friendly and spirited. A great group! We even got little hand written notes from housekeeping. They wished us happy trails and safe travels. Staff shares meals with guests whenever they have the time. It was such fun to get to know such a delightful group of young people.

Will I go back? You betcha!
Linda Mack

Room Tip: We stayed in Willow. It was perfect for the two of us. It was very quiet and private. The view from...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Harleysville, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Rainbow Trout Ranch is more than just somewhere to go on vacation. There is the beautiful scenery, the wonderful horseback riding, the abundant and delicious food and the comfortable cabins. What really sets the ranch apart is the van Berkum family. You feel like an old friend the moment you walk in the door. My wife and I have vacationed here the past 12 years and have will continue to in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hudson, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our family has enjoyed five ranch vacations over the years. In July 2012 we selected Rainbow Trout Ranch. It was by far the best ranch we have visited. Great owners, staff and wranglers. Very good food, comfortable cabins, spectacular scenery, great horses and riding opportunities and very good fishing. A ranch I would return to again, with or without my teenage girls.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rainbow Trout Ranch? Share your experiences!