“Great destination for a vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Three Rivers Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   130 County Rd. 742, PO Box 339, Almont, CO 81210   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Almont
denver
“Great destination for a vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We just spent 2 nights in cabin 14 at 3 Rivers and loved it. The location is perfect with access to so many things:
Rafting right on site
Great smoke house/restaurant on site
Crestted Butte 20 minutes away
Gunnison 10 minutes away

The cabin was very functional and comfortable. The smokehouse was a treat with great food and a nice bar for relaxing. The rafting company 3 Rivers Outfitters can't be beat, and rafting the upper Taylor is my favorite rafting in Colorado.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

All of the other 15 reviews at the time of this writing were of cabins, so this review of the lodge rooms may be helpful to folks looking into those.

First, though, a brief word about the cabins: Beware just a bit of glowing reviews about particular cabins. They're an eclectic mix, and a review of a modern cabin in a beautiful, scenic location on the river may not apply to an older cabin in the cramped-appearing "cabin village" lot behind the main store, well away from the river. As with everything else in life, it pays to know exactly what you are getting before committing.

On to the lodge rooms: They are on the second floor above the store. I don't intend the average rating I gave them to be too discouraging, and I'd stay there again (and probably will, since they are quite economical if you are staying in the Crested Butte area), but there are some issues. First the good news: One unexpected plus was that my room was air conditioned, which was not advertised. Also, despite comments about the Internet signal not reaching the cabins, it is a strong five-bar signal above the store, and I had no problem with it. In addition, the room had a large kitchen area with a full refrigerator and microwave (but no full stove). And getting my luggage to and from the room was easy, since there is a long outside ramp to the second floor that well serves the purpose of an elevator.

The issues: The biggest was that the room had a fairly strong body odor smell that I could not get rid of despite my best efforts to air it out. One has to remember that this place specializes in outdoor activities (e.g., hiking and climbing, which is what I was doing there), and lots of sweaty folks will use these rooms, but the smell of this room was over the top. Also, I believe that the owners are having maintenance done by nontrained staff, and that shows. Examples: The vent duct for the air conditioning unit was circular, and the roughly circular hole cut in the wall to accommodate it was significantly larger than the vent duct and not plugged -- nothing flew in through the gap while I was there, which was good. Also, the metal strip tacked down where the carpet met the linoleum required the tacks to be driven in at an angle, but they were instead hammered in vertically, with the heads sticking up and ready to rip a sock (or, worse, a foot); despite my noting that upon first getting to the room and vowing that I'd remember to keep my shoes on, I did end up losing a sock to the tack heads. It appears that when a new electrical connection was needed, the fast fix was to rob an older connection, which resulted in the three main ceiling lights no longer working when the line was moved to a new overhead fixture nearer the kitchen. (When I commented on this at the front desk, I was first told that the three ceiling fixtures were only decorations, but they fessed up when I offered my opinion on what happened.) There was another example of this in the bathroom, and while I was there a towel rack by the bathroom sink fell off of its own accord from the weight of the towels.

And I'll add my voice to that of others that a business that relies on the health of the environment absolutely must offer recycling beyond a barrel outside the store just for cans.

Concerning the helpfulness of the front desk people about which others have commented: Yeah, they're not given a lot of training, but when a situation arose that required their aid if I was not to make a long drive into Gunnison, they were remarkably helpful, well above and beyond the call of duty. They're good people, and I have no complaints.

Lest this sound like a tale of woe, all in all I didn't have a bad time and, as I mentioned, will most likely return. The average rating is just what it says it is, which on balance plunks the lodge rooms in the middle of the pack of what I'd expect for the price and the use I made of the lodging.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This place was amazing. Organized, friendly service. Our cabin (36) was cute, clean, reasonably priced. It had everything we needed and everything we forgot, like toothpaste, matches, and every pot, pan and utensil we could need. It was quiet in the evening. The location was perfect. We did crested butte one day, ouray another, cureacanti another and headed back from taylor reservoir. Almont os the perfect hub. We cant wait to come back.

• Stayed August 2012
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Super time at our 2 bedroom, 1 bath cabin rental, right on the Lower Taylor River. We went with another couple for some R&R and loved our snug little cabin. Best of all was the large hot tub on the desk (we rented #19). There is a camp store for all your needs, and it was here that we arranged both a paddle trip and horseback riding adventure. We also hiked to the top of a pretty steep hill (located in the back of the property) and wished we'd had time to rent ATVs for even more exploring. The hike is great - you have quite a view once you make it up to the top. The River is lovely to listen to, and the full kitchenette (is that an oxymoron?) is perfect for cooking up any meals. There is a gas grill, as well as a charcoal grill. The cabin has a small, flat screen television with satellite service, and we appreciated this as we were visiting with family who have a home in Colorado Springs and were concerned about the fires there and keeping up with the news. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
1. Charming decor/log cabin
2. Well-planned space for bunking/bathing. There are vanities in the bedrooms, which makes so much sense and does not tie up the toilet for other guests.
3. Hot tub - it was bliss, soaking in the hot tub, listening to the river and all of the birds, and later on at night, looking up at the stars while the temps cooled down outdoors. The best!
4. Easy to arrange trips/adventures right from the front desk. Their paddle/whitewater trip on the Upper Taylor is excellent and super well -organized. We had a blast doing this and simply had to walk to the camp store to be picked up for the trip. Guides were helpful, friendly, entertaining and professional - cannot recommend it enough.
5. Great location - you can hang out in Gunnison or Crested Butte. They are just a short drive away, and if you forgot some groceries, you can hit the Walmart and/or King Souper in Gunny.
6. Linens laundered daily if you so desire.

Cons:
1. Trash dumpsters located out back are not attractive to look at, but really, I don't know where else you'd put them. A bit challenging to open, but I know this is because of the bears.
2. Family next to us partied loudly into the night, after quiet hours, but we didn't really fuss over this. They also smoked on their deck, and the smoke drifted over to our area while we were in the hot tub and we did not like this.
3. Would have liked room-darkening curtains, bur this is a personal desire so hardly bears mentioning.

Overall - highly recommend. You will find serenity and excitement here - all in the same day! The cabins are snug and clean and a joy. You can even purchase one if you want!

Room Tip: We cannot say enough good things about Cabin 19 - you will feel as if you have your own private oasi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Keller, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Our family had a fantastic time here. We saw this place 7 years ago on a trip and vowed to come back. So glad we did! Cabin was clean and modern. Quiet and very scenic overlooking the river. The on site rafting crew were wonderful. Vito was great with our family of four and gave us the best rafting trip. Alot of memories were made and we will be back. Highly recommend it. All of the staff were so great to talk to about the area and things to do! Love it here!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in cabin 22 on the river with extended family. We had plenty of room in the open kitchen/dining/living area. The cabin was very nice and is right on the river. The resort staff is very nice and helpful. We booked our activities through the resort - rafting, horseback riding,4-wheeling. We'll definitely keep Three Rivers on our short list for the next family vacation.

• Stayed June 2012
Liberal, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We've spent a family weekend here for the last two years and highly recommend Three Rivers. Cabins on the river are like new, well furnished and very clean. It is a great place and love this area of Colorado.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Almont
The Inn at Tomichi Village
Harmel's Ranch Resort
Harmel's Ranch Resort
#1 of 3 in Almont
4.0 of 5 stars 37 reviews

Been to Three Rivers Resort? Share your experiences!