“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunshine Mountain Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Allenspark
Sunshine Mountain Lodge
You added Sunshine Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
18078 Colorado Highway 7, PO Box 416, Allenspark, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO 80510   |
Nebraska
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2006

We had a great time here! everything was clean and the hospitality great:). And to quote my son Breakfast was the BEST! We will for sure stay here again. The cabins may be rustic but this was just what we nedded, no Tv's but you can use the tv with a video player, which is what we did most nights and the kids thought that was cool. We were here for a week in June 2006 and hopefully I can get back next year and would stay again.

• Stayed June 2006

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

I have stayed several times at Sunshine Mountain Inn and have loved it. My friends and I have done group retreats there and have found it to be clean, inviting, peaceful, fun and the food is healthy, well presented and extremely tasty.
The cabins are so wonderful we never want to leave. It is one of our favorite places to be.
Thank you Marge for all your wonderful care and hospitality. You are great! And we will continue to spend our get aways at Sunshine Mountain Inn.

• Stayed November 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2006

Sunshine Mountain Inn in Allenspark, Colorado was awesome! The cabins, altho old and rustic, had been updated and were sparkling clean. We stayed there in Feb. 2006 and even with old man winter outside we were toasty warm inside our cabin. I LOVED hearing the pines in the cold, gusty wind outside. Our cabins kitchen was clean, fully equipped and bed-sheets and towels smelled fresh and clean. We liked that it was pet friendly even though the owners had no dog, upon arrival our dog Skeeter was handed a doggie biscuit! Breakfast was included and butter melted on our delicious homemade muffins and sweetbread. Fresh fruit was available and our mugs of tea and coffee never ran dry! All in all this was a very peaceful place to stay. It is not in town but on five acres of tall pines about 12 miles outside of Estes Park. My husband and I were both sad to leave. We will definitely return and stay longer.
The owners were kind and went out of their way to make us feel like special guests.
We left feeling like we had found new friends.

Pueblo, Co
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2005

The Sunshine Mountain Inn in Allenspark Colorado is the WORST place I have ever stayed. It's anything but a "Bed and Breakfast & Wellness Center". For who, hobos? No joke, this place was filthy, unkept, falling apart and uncomfortable. The sheets were soiled from the guests before, the bedspread had hair and dirt on it, the carpet was so filthy I never took my shoes off, I slept in all of my clothes on top of my coat on top of the bed. A dead mouse fell out of the bed, food was left in the refrigerator. I'm telling you it was awful! When we went to the main cabin for breakfast it was pathetic. Fruit loops and granola in two plastic bowls with some warm milk! And...the owners dog stood there and peed on the kitchen floor while we were trying to eat and she just put a paper towel over it. No sanitizing!!! My kids didn't sleep, and even my husband who is a hunter and can sleep in a tent and pee in the woods for a month felt uncomfortable. Please don't put yourself through the trauma of staying here. When I complained to the owner about the unsanitary conditions she said it was "rustic". Rustic I can handle, I'm a country girl, but filth? There is no excuse for it and at $100 a night? I demanded my money back and was told too bad. Now I know why they only accept cash or prepayment in full. That way you can't cancel your check or stop payment on your credit card when you discover what an awful place this is. I would rather have slept in my car and in fact we saw another couple who said the same thing.

, owner/manager at Sunshine Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, February 22, 2006
I was deeply saddened to read the above reviewer's extremely negative comments. I have owned and operated Sunshine Mountain Inn for 12 years and take pride in the high standards of cleanliness and personal service we provide. We receive scores of unsolicited thank-yous and positive visitor "reviews" every year; most of our guests, in fact, are return visitors or word-of-mouth referrals.

Over the years we have, unfortunately, had a very few unhappy guests, including the above reviewer who emailed me a week or so after her stay (including similar remarks to those published above) and demanded her money back.

Our mountain cabins are 60 years old and, no matter what we do, never will have the "feel" of a shiny new hotel or motel room. I am scrupulous to explain that to any prospective visitor who does not visit the facility prior to booking. Still, on rare occasions, someone's expectations may not be fulfilled, and I understand that.

In this particular case, however, I must take issue with many factual errors in the above review. We are a very small business, and I do most of the cleaning myself, as I did in this instance. All the linens are always clean and laundered after each use. Refrigerators are cleaned and emptied as well, carpets are vacuumed, bathrooms scrubbed, etc.

Regarding her comments about breakfast, I do not have a dog and I do not serve fruit loops.

I immediately responded to this reviewer's email and apologized for anything that might have been unpleasant about her stay, but also explained to her the same facts that I just stated above. Because I had personally shown her and her family to the cabin (a matter of standard procedure for us) and she had expressed no dissatisfaction at that time (nor did she before she left the next day), I did not feel that it was appropriate to refund her money

Been to Sunshine Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!