“5 Stars all the way!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 restaurants in Allenspark
Cuisines: Austrian, French, German, Continental
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Fawn Brook Inn is the premier fine dining establishment in the mountains of Boulder County. Family owned and operated for over 34 years. Austrian head chef and owner Herman Groicher along with his wife Mieke specialize in traditional cuisine prepared with unmatched commitment to culinary excellence. Experienced staff perform table-side meal preparation in time-honored methods; the unforgettable European style atmosphere is the perfect special occasion setting for couples, families, groups, weddings and other events. Private dining rooms available on request. World class meal selections prepared fresh daily include: Black Angus Filet, Duckling, Lamb, Elk, Chicken, Trout, Black Forest Rouladen and many others starting at $31. Soup and salad included with all entrees. World class wine cellar, premium spirit and beer selections. Specialty gourmet meal offerings for couples.
Three Rivers, California
“5 Stars all the way!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

A guy I met on a plane last Spring told me about this place after I told him that I announce the Rooftop Rodeo in Estes Park, CO. After a day of jeeping in Pierson Park my wife and I stopped in and man are we glad we did. Will, Meika, and Herrman were all very hospitable and the smoked trout was the best! We sat outside in Meika's lovely garden and enjoyed our dinner and wine. This is 5 star so don't expect your food in a hurry because good food doesn't work that way. Meika gave us the grand tour of this historical place and showed us their expansive wine cellar. We even bought their cookbook! If you are looking for the best in fine dining in a rural Rocky Mountain atmosphere then this is the place. See you all again soon!

• Visited June 2013

82% Recommend
Boulder, CO
“Charming old-world atmosphere, but prices are over the top”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

After living in Boulder, CO for 20+ years, finally made it to Fawn Brook Inn. As we walked in to the cozy log cottage, a fire flickering in the grate, I felt like I'd entered some vintage spot in the mountains of Bavaria. The classic continental menu, too, harks back a half-century. And while the overall experience was delightful - particularly the gracious service we received from sous chef Will (we were the only customers on a winter Monday night) - everything is in need of updating to remotely warrant the prices. From a glass of wine starting at $9 to entrees averaging $40 + (though all do come with an appetizer and light dinner salad) and desserts over $10, I felt like I should have been enjoying some truly impressive and/or creative cuisine. Yet though the food was good, it wasn't great. All the way around, flavors were too understated. I had the seafood pasta, which was nice but not memorable. My husband felt the same way about his duck. When the tab for our party of four, with a nice tip for attentive Will, came to $275 for dinner, a drink or two a piece and one shared dessert, I concluded that we probably wouldn't be back to the Fawn Brook for quite a while. That said, the setting is so special and romantic that if the menu were updated, a bit of bric-a-brac removed from the interior, and the prices scaled back at least 10-15%, I'd be excited to return for my next special occasion.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boulder, Colorado
“Most romantic restaurant in Boulder County”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Recently, we had a good fortune to dine at the Fawn Brook Inn, and the rewards for dining there linger long after you've gone. Quite possibly, this is the most charming restaurant in Colorado. Tucked off a busy little highway that leads into Estes Park, the restaurant offers an experience that you can only find traveling in Europe And while we have marvelous restaurants in Boulder, many are quite similar, high-tech and small plates, but almost no restaurant has the incredible feel of the Fawn Brook and its mountain setting. I imagine in summer it would be breath-taking, but on a chilly February night, with the snow falling, it was absolutely magical. The well-prepared food, is the stick-to-your ribs fare that I grew up with as a child. My Dad was a chef, an old world chef. He could cook your socks off. The food at the Fawn Brook is brought to your table by properly trained staff, in a very warm and relaxed manner. You needn't rush through all the courses set before you...and the ambiance so remarkable that were I younger and looking for a place to have a wedding reception, this would be the place. If you check the menu on their website beforehand, you'll know exactly what dishes are created in the kitchen and a fair idea of the price. You needn't arrive shocked by the entrees or the cost of each dish. You get what you pay for and at the Fawn Brook Inn, what you get is a memorable experience. It's my new best favorite and we can't wait to return.

• Visited February 2013
Allenspark, Colorado, United States
“A Night to Remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

European cooking, authentic old world style, generous hospitality, impressive wine cellar. From owners Hermann and Mika Groicher to young sous chef Will, this is the place you'll want to remember, always.

Visited October 2012
Cedar Crest, New Mexico
“Warm and friendly in winter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

It's been a long time since I have had five star food service which to me is where they finish some of the food at the table. Since there was no snow in the foothills, it was like going to a Christmas winter wonderland. They had about six inches of snow on the ground and white lights as we entered. They had a wonderful fireplace going with a Christmas tree to the side, as well as, a fish tank. The place is warm and quiet, which was just what we were looking for. If you want wild, skip this place. With friends, you want to talk. You have to have two people to split a beef wellington. I'm not sure, if it was a classic recipe, because it didn't seem to have any pate or very little of it, but the puff pastry was excellent. They cooked the tenderloin rare and it was a huge chunk of meat--at least ten ounces each. Others at the table had the sea bass fish special and rack of lamb. Everyone was happy. Other reviews have said the place is too pricy. It does cost quite a bit, but you get what you pay for. You don't have to dress up either, unless you want to. Casual is fine. Think mountain lodge when you go skiing. Plan for a two to three hour meal with lots of conversation. Three of our meals were five courses (appetizer, soup, salad, entree, and dessert). If you ordered the beef wellington, it also came with a glass of tawny port. I have to mention the unique cold blueberry soup we all had. Everyone liked it and said the restaurant felt so warm and cozy that the cold soup went fine in winter. It was my birthday and the owner told us stories of one of her birthdays. It's family run, so I could imagine them having a service problem, if people come in without reservations. The night we were there they had two people to wait on guests plus the owner and one or two people in the kitchen. They took care of our table of four and another table of four, so our service was very good. They have limited hours this time of year from 5 pm to 8 pm on weekends and you also have to check on mountain weather. My friends have been here several times and have enjoyed it each time. I've been told they have lots of hummingbirds to look at outside, if you go in the summer. I would check their online menu and call to see what their planned special is. Also, please have a designated driver. You want to enjoy wine (not sure about beer, but ask ahead) with your meal and you don't want to drive those windy and sometimes snowy roads at night.

• Visited December 2012