“Enthusiatic REAL railroad welcomes passenger service!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 12 things to do in Alamosa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Rio Grande Scenic Railroad is Colorado's newest train offering steam engine rides through breathtaking mountain valleys and over legendary La Veta pass on hundreds of miles of historic rail. Daily and weekend excursions offer riders a trip back in time on restored passenger cars that stop at historic towns, Great Sand Dunes National Park and connect with the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad.
Philadelphia
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Enthusiatic REAL railroad welcomes passenger service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

Get on board with the Rio Grande Scenic RR. They offer trips in three directions from Alamosa. The staff has a great vibe -- they want you to ride with them and are proud to show off the equipment and the scenery.

We rode to LaVeta, the longest trip - it takes the full day (9 - 5). We recommend the dome car for the view and the seats. Dome passengers are welcome to wander the train.

Our conductor Steve was informative and funny. The rest of the crew was equally excited and enthusiastic.

Dallas, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful scenery on an up-and-coming scenic railroad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

The Rio Grande Scenic Railroad is one of the, if not the, newest tourist railroad in Colorado. The route runs over La Veta Pass. I took the La Veta-Fir roundtrip, and the ride was very comfortable. Service on board was limited to hot chocolate/hot tea and a muffin on my trip. There was no onboard gift shop, and the La Veta station had no gift shop to speak of unfortunately. I upgraded to the dome car, and I was glad I did as the view out was great. On our trip, we even saw some bears along the line. The route from La Veta runs diesel engines, and the route back down from Fir was steam.

chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“One of the best train rides I've ever taken”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

It was easy to get a ticket over the phone, we were in the dome car which was spectacular but the open air car at the back of the train was just as good. The staff was very friendly. The train from Alamosa to La Veta has a steam engine, but all their other trains are diesel.

The friendliest staff on any train I have ever ridden.

Breckenridge, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very Unorganized”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

I booked a day-long excursion from Alamosa to La Veta and back for 5/9/09 and was told the train might not run that day if there wasn't enough interest. The reservationist told me they would let me know by the previous Thursday if the train wasn't running. I gave them both my phone number and email address. When I didn't hear from them, I reserved an area hotel room for Friday night. Before I left my house on Friday morning, I called to double-check the train was running. It had been cancelled and no one had informed me. "Sorry," was what they said. And, "It's very chaotic around here."
Good luck if you try to plan a train trip with this company. I won't do it again.

Gilbert, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A great train ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

Tourist passenger service was restored on the old standard guage Rio Grande Western Railroad between Alamosa and La Veta last year. An authentic steam locomotive No 1744 was added this spring for the weekend trips.
You can enjoy the trip across the San Luis Valley and climb the mountains through tunnels to the historic art town of La Veta where you can eat at the La Veta Inn before your return trip.
I'm returning for my third trip next week!

Been to Rio Grande Scenic Railroad? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Rio Grande Scenic Railroad, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.