“Solid burger, great staff” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 53 Restaurants in Alamosa
Cuisines: American
Santa Fe
“Solid burger, great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

The burger I had here was good, huge but I'm a burger snob and I wouldn't put this super high on my list. It's a bargain that's for sure. The staff is really super and efficient. The ambience is fine, I wouldn’t call it a dive but these days that may mean it is fashionable after the TV show. I think of a dive as not much to look at or broken down, this isn't the case here.

For me, the meat is critical on a burger, then how it's cooked. I wasn't asked how I wanted it cooked, my mistake for not specifying Med Rare if they would do that. At Med, the meat isn't as juicy or tasty as burgers I put higher on my list but the other ingredient were fresh. Not sure coming from NM what they consider 'green chili' which I requested on the burger.

For a small town, absolutely severable burger, but if someone says it's the best they ever had, they need to eat more burgers (try "The Bite" (formally Bobcat Bite) in Santa Fe. That's a green chili burger !

Visited March 2014

Colorado
“Funky Diner, Great Burgers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We tried Wize Apples on our way through Alamosa, having read some good reviews about it here on Trip Advisor. Since we were limited on time, we placed an order to go. Though every table in the restaurant was not taken, we were told we had to wait 25-30 minutes for our carry out order as "the grill was completely full."

Our food was worth the wait. Portions were absolutely huge; it would have been easy to share a burger and fries, but we were glad we each had our own burger. We enjoyed a bacon cheese burger with fries and a green chile cheese burger with onion rings. Both were cooked the way we wanted with all condiments we ordered, and the fresh green chile was excellent.

You can order over 10 different types of burgers from the menu, or build your own. There were easily two large potatoes cut into french fries on our order, and the onion rings were hot, delicious and also served in a generous portion.

The atmosphere of the Wize Apple is surely funky, not at all fancy, but service is good and the food is even better. We would surely stop here again next time we're in Alamosa.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wichita Falls, Texas
“An excellant burger dive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This place is a gem in Alamosa! It is a dive for sure, but the friendliest service and best burgers we've had in a long time! The handcut fries were really good, and my steak salad was great too! Don't miss this place!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
TEXAS
“WISE APPLES”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We are on a long motorhome trip, read the review on hamburgers at Wize Apples, My wife said it was the best burgers she ever had. The small salad and fries were so large we brought it home for our lunch. The service was also great, plus they have wine in the small bottles.
A must stop if you are in the area.
BUD CARTER

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Monte Vista
“Great Dive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

great dive for huge burgers and mounds of fries...friendly and simple. bar setting in case you are traveling with small kids this may not be where you want to go.

Visited June 2013