“Mayflower Tours Worst Nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Inn of the Rio Grande
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Sante Fe Ave., Alamosa, CO 81101   |
Ranked #12 of 12 hotels in Alamosa
Anthony, Florida
“Mayflower Tours Worst Nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I as part of a Mayflower Tour of Colorado railroads. This was one of our "select" hotels. DO NOT EVERY STAY HERE!!!!!! Where to start, no A/C at the entire complex. Mold in many rooms, Showers did not drain. Bugs and bug remains in rooms. There were 40 people on this tour and I know that 9 others have complained to Mayflower and are demanding a refund for this hotel.

I went to the front desk and informed the manager of the horrid shape of the hotel. He was very sorry and realized the problems. The hotel had changed hands very rcently and was about to change again. The only cure for this place is to tear it down and start over.

If you value your life and health, do NOT stay here!!!

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all costs.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Mesa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

There are no elevators to the 2nd floor, so if you have a heavy bag be prepared to lug it up a flight of stairs. The first room they gave my family had not been cleaned. The bathroom had the previous occupant's garbage left in it and the tub was dirty. They moved us to another room and it was equally dirty. The shower wouldn't drain. The floor looked like it hadn't been vacuumed. It was dark blue carpet so who knows how filthy it really was. Everything was outdated: big TV, ugly bedspreads, 80s alarm clock, hideous wallpaper. I'm surprised the phone wasn't a rotary one. My young children even knew this place was substandard. If other hotels weren't sold out and my family wasn't so exhausted from driving 12 hours, we would have pushed on or slept in our vehicle. $120 for this? Run the other way.

• Stayed July 2014

Travelers are raving about these Alamosa hotels

Mosca, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

OK room, decent location. This place keeps changing management and each time everyone has to be retrained so it gets confusing. Clean, but no microwave or fridge which my dad needed for his insulin. But the restaurant got him ice each night... Which was great. Staff really friendly and helpful. I needed to fax paperwork and they did it for me no problem. Also, went in to book the room and they gave me an even lower rate than what was listed online. With some consistency and TLC this place could really be top notch.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Alamosa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Due to a sick pet, we were delayed on our trip and were forced to stay in Alamosa at the last minute. Only place we could get a room that allowed pets. Hot A/c, security lacking, no coffee in rooms, no soap, shampoo. Truly hope we don't have bed bugs when we leave. If we hadn't had to stay in town, I would have gone on! Don't waste your money here!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

On the evening of June 7th, 2014 we stayed at the Inn of the Rio Grande in Alamosa. The property is undergoing renovation but was still taking guests. It is an older property, 60's-80's, 3 sided, with an atrium that looked like a filled in pool with lawn furniture on one side of the enclosed reception desk and a restaurant with yellow tape across the back but open for business on the other.
All three doors were held open by heavy concrete trash cans. We were given a room on the far back side. There was a chair from a meeting room on one side with rocks & dog poop and a bar b que grill on the other. Inside the door were 2 large rolling bins with the trash bags piled high and falling off that we had to navigate around. Our room was mediocre with pieces broken out of the lamp shad that only worked sporadically. The door between the rooms and atrium had been removed from it's hinges so all the noise came into the sleeping room hallways.
Around midnite the noise from the partiers woke our dog who needed to go out on a call of nature,
The doors were all still held open and the trash bins still over flowing. The only lights were on the building so we went close toward the front door/front desk thinking it would be safer when a group of 6 or 8 young men with bottles and cans started yelling nasty comments and cut us off from the front door. My dog and I had to hurry out into the unlighted parking lot to get out of range of the menacing behavior. Going back past the open doors ours was now covered by 5 men smoking and drinking while making comments about myself and my dog.
When this behavior was brought to the attention of the night clerk he merely responded that they were paying guests. (They had our credit card!)
This property is not safe or secure and I would definitely not recommend it to women. At the high rate charged, substandard surroundings and poor customer service this is definitely a place to be by passed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Northglenn, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I am writing this review on behalf of the staff. I felt so bad for them. Everyone was complaining on how bad this place is and they where so nice and apologetic. There was no air in the restaurant or bar. The wait staff was so hot but still very nice. I can't imagin working in those conditions. The hotel itself was very dark and outdated. Our room smelled like stale cigarette smoke and the phone didn't work in either of the two rooms we had. There was only one mini fridge in the two rooms. When I reserved our room it said the water park was included in the price of the room but when we got there we where told we had to pay. They said the new owners changed the policy and guest had to pay half price. 8.00 for adults and 4.00 for kids. The room was already over priced and then to find out we had to pay to swim. I will never stay there again unless they make big and I mean big changes! I hope the best for all the staff and hope things get better

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Inn of the Rio Grande? Share your experiences!