“Another fine Hampton Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early-Save up to 15%
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Alamosa
Hillsboro, OR
“Another fine Hampton Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

One of the nicer things about smaller towns is that you get major h/motel properties at small town prices. Our room has a comfortable office chair and mini desk with a hardwired ethernet connection, 32" flat screen t.v., a nice selection of toiletries, coffee maker, mini-fridge and so forth. Very well maintained and appeared to be very clean. The complimentary breakfast was better than average.
This property is clustered with some other name brands so a quick price comparison is possible. There is a large multi-screen theater within 1/4 mile as well as a 24 hour Walmart.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lori Y, General Manager at Hampton Inn Alamosa, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
What a lovely review! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your room. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

After a horrible experience at the Hampton in Kayente, Az. this was a true pleasure. From the moment we walked in the door until we drove away we were impressed. Front desk people were outstanding. Room was spotless and comfortable. Breakfast was the best of all we had from this genre of motel. Makes you wonder why the others can't follow suit. Called 1 day later looking for my electric tooth brush. Linda was very helpful, helped locate it for me, and has it on it's way home to me. Small town but great attitude.

Room Tip: The front desk will look out for you if you're pleasant
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for being our guest and for your kind words. We love seeing our guests leave happy and satisfied! I will be sure to pass on your compliments to Linda and the rest of our staff.
San Luis Obispo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The Hampton Inn in Alamosa is probably the best hotel around here, but it could be so much better... With a little attention, there would never be any question.

* Breakfast - really good.
* Lobby and gym facility - above what I expected for Alamosa. It's clear this hotel is new and pretty well-kept in the public areas.
* Staff - Hit and miss. The managers seem like they are trying hard, but not all the staff probably has the same attitude. I sat in the breakfast area to do some work and some of the staff's conversations weren't super professional... Most of the staff I've interacted with have been really good. I did (or didn't...) get a missed wake-up call one morning. Hurried on my way out the door, I asked about whether there was an issue with the wake-up call system. One front desk person made a joke to another that they were fired, but I never really got the idea that anything was actually going to be followed-up on and they generally blamed the person on duty the night before....
* Internet - This is a pet peeve of mine. The Internet here is pretty slow -- no chance of watching something like netflix, hulu, or a streaming sporting event. This makes being on the road for work a little less palatable. When I asked them about their slow speed, they blamed it on being in the San Luis Valley and said that all Internet here was slow.
This is patently incorrect. They just need to be honest and say "our Internet here isn't fast enough for you because we're too cheap to upgrade to something that actually works..."
If you want higher-speed Internet, there's a place called "The Hub" over by WalMart that is super-friendly and that has Internet fast enough to stream a football game or hulu/netflix...
* Noise insulation - This is a problem I have with most hotels, so won't single this one out, but somebody has got to do something about hotel room doors and walls sealing out sound. There is a half to 3/4 inch gap between the bottom of my door and the floor. There is also tile next to the doorway to help carry the sound into my room. When people are having conversations in the halls, I can hear it REALLY easily. As for the walls, maybe hanging a tablecloth between rooms instead of the walls would provide more sound buffering... Like I said, that probably goes for most hotels I stay in...
* Overall, maybe the best hotel in the 'mosa, but could be better.

Room Tip: easy to hear people above you so 4th floor might be best...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience during your stay at the Hampton Inn Alamosa. We appreciate this kind of specific information as it gives us the opportunity to find and work on the focus areas that really matter to our guests. I apologize for the overly casual attitude of the front desk. A missed wake-up call should always be taken seriously and I am sorry that the comments made did not reflect that. We do receive our internet service from AT&T, and we can always call them if there is an issue affecting the connectivity for our guests. I am sorry that the staff did not follow up on your complaint to make sure that it was working to your satisfaction. I do hope that when you are next in the San Luis Valley that you will give us another chance to make it right and display our Hamptonality!
Potsdam, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night at the Hampton Inn in Alamosa Colorado during mid-October 2012. The Alamosa property is located in a developing commercial area that is sufficiently new that the GPS database on my 2012 model vehicle did not include the Alamosa Hampton’s address; however, Google Maps did and we found the motel with little difficulty. In most respects, the Alamosa Hampton Inn nicely met the high standards of the Hampton system - the Inn’s staff members we encountered at check-in, breakfast, and housekeeping were courteous and helpful, the breakfast was tasty and well-presented with ample room for other diners, our room was clean and the comfortable bed provided a good night’s sleep.
In spite of the newness of the facility, however, we did observed a few issues which we provided as comments to the desk staff on checkout: the ventilation system was not effective for the bathroom in our 4th floor room, and as a consequence the shower curtain bar already was rusting and the wall paper was loosening. Perhaps related to the lack of ventilation, we perceived a distinct stale tobacco smoke smell in the bathroom during the evening of our stay, which seemed to waft into the room on backdrafts from the vent and eventually drifted to the sleeping area; the air conditioner could disperse the odor when operating, but the smell would return when the AC kicked off. Neither my wife nor I smoke and we each find stale (or fresh) smoke to be offensive. Unrelated to the HVAC system, but likely related to the location of our room on the 4th floor, the water pressure was quite low, both in the shower and the sink. Other issues we noted included the dryer in the guest laundry facility – largely ineffective for drying at any temperature setting; and the breakfast/coffee bar – no lids for cups, which was not only an inconvenience for the guests, but also put the facilities carpeting and other Inn features at risk for damage from an accidental spill.

Room Tip: Avoid the fourth floor if given a choice
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lori Y, General Manager at Hampton Inn Alamosa, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I just wanted to say thanks for your recent stay here at our hotel! I’m so glad you were able to experience our warm Hamptonality. We appreciate your feedback on TripAdvisor and at check-out. I am so sorry about the smoke smell you experienced. As you know ours is a non-smoking facility. It seems that another guest may have smoked in their room against policy. Thank you also for pointing out the maintanence issues you noticed. Our maintenance and housekeeping teams have been checking all of our rooms for any signs of rust or damage to wallpaper. Thank you again. We would really love to see you again soon.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Standard Hampton Inn in Alamosa. New, nice rooms, good breakfast, very nice lobby area. Location on the major highway in a nice area. Good place for a stopover or to visit area attractions. Convenient to restaurants and other shopping.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed one night, arriving as "walk-up." Staff very efficient & friendly, room was clean, pool nice, breakfast pretty hotel standard, but few non-dairy choices for one of us...overall a positive experience, everything I would expect and hope for, based on prior experiences with Hampton Inns. Didn't have any of the noise problems others have noted in reviews.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Like many hotels I have stayed in over the years located in the "country", the Management struggles to meet a level of service that is expected of a Hilton property. Tis location is very similar to hotels you would find in Amarillo, TX. Although the staff was friendly and working diligently, here are the areas MGMT should try to improve:

1. Drapes that typically can be closed to block the sun were designed to not close at all ... I have never seen this before.
2. Flat screen LG TV did not broadcast HD stations, even though front desk thought that they did.
3. Lighting and fan controls and placement are lacking ... Leaves half of the bathroom dark and ventilation did not appear to be sufficient
4. Hat pump had a position to allow the fan to run constantly but there was no way to get it in that position ... This would help with the noise issues other customers reported.
5. Kitchen ran out of orange juice and coffee cup lids during breakfast.

On the positive side, the wireless Internet was great, the parking lot was situated nicely, and the pool and exercise rooms looked good, although I did not use them. The food selection was good and the dining as was nice and open with inviting seating locations.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lori Y, General Manager at Hampton Inn Alamosa, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate your input. I wanted to address some of the concerns that you listed that bothered you during your stay. Our drapes are set up in a three layer system. The outermost drapes are decorative only and do not move. The middle set are sheers, which allow light while keeping the room private. The innermost drapes are blackout curtains, which close completely. Because these are tucked back closest to the window, they can be hard to see. I apologize that our staff did not situate them in a way that would be more visable for you.
You mentioned wanting a better fan setting as well. While we do have wall thermostats in all of our rooms, you can also make adjustments directly to the PTAC unit on the wall. There is a setting on the unit for continuous fan, it is not however, available on the thermostat.
I am so sorry that the staff was mistaken about the HD channels. Unfortunately, in the San Luis Valley, we have only one choice for cable television. We have been on a waiting list for our HD channels since the hotel was built. I can certainly understand your frustration. I apologize. I have been assured that they are currently in process of ordering the boxes necessary to convert all of our televisions to HD service. I do not yet have a date, but I hope it will be soon!

Been to Hampton Inn Alamosa? Share your experiences!