“Alamosa's Best Steak House!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 53 Restaurants in Alamosa
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Walsenburg, Colorado
“Alamosa's Best Steak House!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

One of Alamosa's most popular restaurants, True Grits is decorated all in a John Wayne theme and proudly offers a classic American menu of steak, seafood, sandwiches, BBQ

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tennessee
“Sorry to have to write this but......”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I've been coming to True Grits several times each summer for the last 10 years and last night was the last straw. The meat has generally been good but the decor and standard has steadily deteriorated to the point where it is unhealthy and unacceptable. I am planning to contact the health department.
My wife's lettuce was brown and slimy. Her rice was partly raw and caused a severe coughing bout. The whole place is dark and dirty. We got a view of the kitchen and I wish we hadn't . There is just too much bad to report.
One major problem is the bathroom. There is no disabled access (how do they get away with that?) and it is absolutely disgusting. I took a photo because I don't think anyone would believe how bad it was. This whole place is a disease waiting to happen.
I'm really sorry to post this as I've had some good times there but people need to be warned. This place needs a major clean up or closure!

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Tenderest steak ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

"The Duke" Melted in my mouth.
Could use more seasoning but great cut of meat.
Great friendly service.
Restroom could use updates.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alamosa, Colorado
“A local "favorite" spoiled”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A couple of years ago we took my best friend and his family here for lunch. They're from Denver. My thought was, "We'll, it's dingy and the decor hasn't been changed in probably 40 years, but it's reasonable for a group, and people who like steak (which my friends did, big time) usually considered True Grits an Alamosa staple. What a gigantic failure this choice was. After the meal, my friend said, "That was undoubtedly the worst meal I've ever had!" And he's had a lot of meals out, all over Colorado and the U.S. it's still a joke between us. If he's coming to visit, I'll say, "We'll go to True Grits." His reply is strong and inappropriate. I have never been back either.

Visited December 2012
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“lots of other places in town”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Four of us had dinner there recently. They were busy, and our waitress said they were short handed. One of us just had a potato--no problem. 2 of us had steak and shrimp. Steak was so-so, shrimp were actually pretty good--rice and (previously frozen) steamed veggies were cold. My wife ordered grilled trout. EVERYTHING on her plate was cold. She sent it all back to get it warmed up. When the plate came back, the only thing on it was the fish (STILL cold). Her veggies/sides ?? maybe the cat ate them. We gave up. I shared my dinner, we paid up and left. Never again.

• Visited February 2013