“Looks nice, but dumpy under that remodel” 3 of 5 stars

Super 8 Motel - Azusa
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   117 N. Azusa Ave., Azusa, CA 91702   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Azusa
Lomita, California
“Looks nice, but dumpy under that remodel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012 via mobile

So, I decide to ride my scooter from my home in Huntington Beach to Azusa in orded to cruise the foothills and San Gabriel Canyon.

The day grew late, so having seen the Super 8 motel on Azusa on my way up, I used my smart phone to book a room for the night. After tax, I paid about $68, and making the reservation was e-z on the internet.

I arrived and entered the small office, noticing the nice rack of local attractions brochures and what appeared to be the setup for the Continental Breakfast, located in a niche.

The young lady at the desk greeted me well enough, and although she did the job of registering me well enough, was far from warm or pleasant. I took my key card and an armful of my things upstairs directly above the office to room 203.

The key card did not work, so I visited the office for a new one. The second card worked just fine. Upon entering he small, but not too crowded room, I observed the old-style (not flat screen) TV, a well-made king bed, dresser with fully stocked coffee setup, and a mini fridge and microwave. All decent appointments for a $68 room.

I carefully inspected the bed linens; all clean and in order. The bathroom had adequate, but not luxurious towels, plus small bars of soap and a small tube of shampoo. The bath and room were generally clean, but has a feel and slight odor of much use and a few remodels, not done quite to a high level of excellence.

I unpacked, set my room up, then fired up the combo heater/ac unit to warm the room, and to freshen the staleness a bit. Later, after my hot shower (water press good), I lay back on the firm but comfortable bed, watched the news, snacked, and fiddled with my smart phone. Traffic noise was minimal to moderate, but banging, door slamming, and other guests' noise could be heard.

I slept well enough, but woke briefly a couple of times at late night guests noise. In the morning, the in-room coffee maker worked and the coffee and supplies were of good quality. I went down to the office and picked up a couple of pre-packaged complimentary rolls, some oj, and checked out the milk, cereal, and fruit that was offered. It was minimal, nothing special, but a little bite did me the trick.

Overall, I would rate this Super 8 about three stars overall, and would consider staying there again. But next time, I will almost certainly consult Trip Advisor about other affordable local accomodations and perhaps do a bit better.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Considering the location near a freeway the room was pretty quiet.
No frills and clean.
Some of the other patrons could have been noisy, but weren't.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Ridgecrest, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

We are a senior couple in our 70’s staying at this motel in room115 prior to and after a visit to City of Hope Medical Facility which is just 5 freeway miles distant. Reservations for a ground floor king bed non-smoking room were made through the Super 8 website at a cost of $61.00 total per night without a problem.

Although there is no indication that this is a handicapped room I presume it to be as there are two so designated parking spots in front of it. It is not however outfitted for handicapped nor marked as such.

The motel, located on and very close to a busy and noisy street is old and obviously remodeled “on the cheap”.

We waited until 2:30pm for our 2:00pm room to be ready and found it very small but clean and free of any lingering odor.

All lighting and appliances (including the fridge and microwave) worked well although there was a slight problem regulating the A/C.

The very small bathroom with toilet and tub/shower are apart from the vanity top, sink and mirror.

Water pressure and drainage were very good.

Irregular bathroom tile and a 1” gap between the room door to the outside and the floor caused cool air to leave the room and dust, noise, cigarette smoke and bugs to enter. It was necessary to place a folded bath towel on the floor to cover the wide gap. The door to room 116 was noted to be the same.

The bed was fairly comfortable but street noise (apparently there is no car stereo amplifier law in Azusa) and squeaky and slamming motel doors make it difficult to sleep.

There is no desk person at night and on the last day of our stay a person from the living quarters in back had to be awakened at 6:15am to open for the 6:00am claimed breakfast. On neither day was there a USA Today newspaper as promised. Breakfast was meager with an offering of two cold cereals; packaged sweet rolls; coffee; milk and imitation orange juice which can be eaten in the tiny lobby at the table with three chairs.

There is Internet high speed access but it requires you to obtain a motel identifier code, username and password at the front desk to get on-line.

Check-out is without problem as your billing is done at check-in.

Easy freeway access either East or West on the 210 from this location.

We might stay here again, if necessary, but will check out the across the street Rodeway Inn and the Best Value Inn down the block.

• Liked — Easy access to freeway and proximity to City of Hope
  • Disliked — Meager breakfast; Street & Motel noise; Lack of promised morning newspaper
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

I needed a bed when I went to get my son from APU and this had one. It was cheap and my room was clean. You can't expect much when you pay $66 a night. Only needed it for one night and it worked.

• Liked — It had a bed
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

The Super 8 is conveniently located off the 210. It looks a bit worn on the outside, but the rooms are clean, comfortable and very nice. Ours was a king bed and had a hair dryer, ironing board, microwave and fridge. The hotel also offers complimentary wi-fi. Breakfast was just donuts/muffins, juice, coffee -- not impressive, but that's OK. My only complaint is that the bed was rock hard (I prefer a little give), but my spouse loved it!

• Liked — Clean and inexpensive for CA
  • Disliked — Hard bed!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Joshua Tree, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

Well, stayed here again due to not being much better in the area. They are remodeling it, helps, but need to get ride of the roaches and ants. Rented 2 rooms. Mine was ok, king bed. slept good except very firm. upon check in, ants on front window. morning huge roach in bath tub, it was alive. Front door had about 1" gap at the bottom. Second room, ants everywhere, in bed floor u name it. Mentioned it to front desk, they said thanks. For telling them or for staying there? Last time staying there due to basketball tournament at Azusa Pacific Un. there are several motels there but none on inter net except Stardust. try it, Also there is a Colonial Motel looks nice from the street. Parking is short due to partly being blocked by construction material. Parking in alley behind motel seemed kinda risky for night.

• Liked — costs
  • Disliked — bugs and parking
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

Upon arrival we found no pool as promised but rather a spa which was heated to a pool temperature. We were told that if we wanted it warmer to let them know and they would turn on the spa heater for us. This never happened unfortunately so we ended up just putting our feet in the water for a bit.
Room was adequate as far as furnishings with a refridgerator and a microwave. Both were clean and in good working order. We did however encounter some real problems withthe bathroom . The floor was very dirty and the corners of the floor were so filled with dirt and mold it was disgusting, as was the graffiti etched into the base of the wall lamps.
The beds were so hard we woke up many times during the night with back pain . finally getting up earlier than expected because of the hardness of the bed. The continental breakfast was really something . I went down there about 7:30 am and found coffee ( which was horrible) three pieces of fruit and two blueberry muffins. and a half container of orange juice. I guess everyone has their own idea of continental breakfast this did not coincide with my idea however.
If you are looking for a place to spend the night don't mind dirty bathrooms graffiti on the wall, and hard mattresses this is a great place to be. just off the freeway, near all the restaurants and shopping! I believe I will take my business elsewhere though Thanks

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Been to Super 8 Motel - Azusa? Share your experiences!