“Best place in Avila!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
“Best place in Avila!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

All the reviews were great for this rest., so we went there! My husband had the 5 Seas cocktail. He LOVED IT! i had the fish taco which was grilled and it was very good. We were very glad we checked the reviews and chose this place. If you don't mind eating out on the dock, don't miss it.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Hyattsville, Maryland
“Good food, good fun, good wine...let's eat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

My husband and I were passing through Avila on our honeymoon, and lodging at Pismo Beach- Cliff Resort. Being captivated by this little seafront town, we decided to walk along and stopped in this cafe for a light dinner. We were so surprised to get such great food! Great service and quick too! The menu was so much fun to choose from that we chose a little of everything from "sliders" to fish tacos, to a cranberry walnut salad! Owners were so friendly, that when we bought a bottle of wine, they asked to open it for us and gave us a decorative stainless steel bottle-stopper to go with it! Maybe because it was our honeymoon? But it was wonderful service and friendly people!

• Visited June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Castle Rock, Colorado
“Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We ate here twice for dinner - they close at 5 so get there early - excellent local cuisine. I'm pretty sure they get their fish direct from the boats as it's right there on the pier. Good value, excellent food. You can even bring your dog! It is semi enclosed, but not indoor. I recommend for anybody looking for a tasty meal. They have swordfish tacos, i tasted my friend's and it was AMAZING, and I don''t even like fish to begin with! Bottom line, don't miss out.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
ddsp3
“Good food and friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

Was making the drive from LA to San Jose and decided to have lunch with my mom at Pete’s a few weeks back (mid July) it was an absolutely beautiful Friday afternoon on the pier and not too crowded .. we tried the clam strips and fries along with a Dungeness crab that was picked out from the market behind Petes.. (it wasn’t too busy so we got some help picking out a bigger one about 2 lbs (about $11/lbs with all limbs)
The clam strips came out first and the crab soon after (about 10-15 minutes for the crab). As expected, it got messy with the shells and all but the food and beer was very good… it got even messier when I tried the oysters.. unfortunately they don’t shuck-em for you so you have to do it yourself.. I’ve shucked oysters before so I decided to give it a shot & they were nice enough to loan me a oyster knife.. I soon discovered it was a bit more difficult than what I remembered.. but one of the guys came over to our table & took the time to show us how to properly/safely shuck oysters.. before long I was prying the tops off those guys.. although I don’t recommended b/c it can be quite dangerous b/c oyster knife is sharp!..

All in all the food was good, but the service even better … thanks to the guys at Petes!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Atascadero, California
“OK OK, I know I've already reviewed it once... But I went again today...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

And I had the best shrimp I've ever had! I went with my mom for mothers day, and I ordered the beer steamed shrimp. It was a huge plate of steaming shrimp.. at least a pound, maybe a pound and a half for $8.50!

The shrimp was whole, with heads. legs and everything. It was steamed in an absolutely fantastic mixture of beer, lemon, salt, and who knows what else. It was hot, flavorful, and tasted incredibly fresh. I was licking my fingers when the shrimp was all gone!

They key to Petes is to order whatever they have written on the specials board. Or just ask the person taking your order what is the best that day, and order whatever they say. I promise you'll be happy :)