“Favorite getaway place!” 5 of 5 stars

Best prices from these 7 sites
Save Saved
You added Avila La Fonda Hotel to your Saves list
Avila La Fonda Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 San Miguel Street, PO Box 217, Avila Beach, CA 93424   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
Danville, California
“Favorite getaway place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Avila La Fonda Hotel staff is the friendliest staff ever. They make sure every need is met. The rooms are all beautiful and very equipped. They even come with a wonderful snack basket. The nightly wine tasting/ appetizers are fantastic and the evening fresh baked pie is to die for. We will be back regularly.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Avila_La_Fonda_Hotel, General Manager at Avila La Fonda Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Wendy B,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It sound like La Fonda is your home away from home as is the case for many of our guests.

It is so nice to hear such wonderful comments about the Inn and it's world-class staff.

We look forward to seeing you another time in the very near future.

Warm regards,

Avila La Fonda Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Lompoc, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My wife and I were looking for a quick get away to celebrate our birthdays and were lucky to score two nights at this very special hotel. The hotel was everything stated on the web site, the location was perfect. One block back from the beach and noise, walk to everything and a very accommodating staff. We plan on returning soon.
Only negative was the service from housekeepers which we are sure Chris will correct.

Room Tip: Room 211 is a great value
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Christopher K, General Manager at Avila La Fonda Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear KurtL,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at the Avila La Fonda Hotel. I was so pleased that most aspects of your stay were spot on with our reputation. As for the issue you experienced with our housekeeping staff as I mentioned in my email you really gave us a great training opportunity and I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to let me know about your experience so that we can consistently improve upon the guest experience!

More than anything else I am so happy to hear that you and your wife were able to find a little rest and relaxation during your visit. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Westerville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We had never before been to this part of California and took a chance on La Fonda in Avila Beach. It was a great choice - the hotel is one of the best we've stayed in, even though it isn't on the beach and rooms have portable AC units (they aren't loud at all, and make the room quite comfortable in summer). The staff was wonderful, ever helpful and friendly, and the beach is about a 3-5 minute walk. If you need towels, beach chairs, or even a beach umbrella the hotel has you covered. And the complimentary food they provide - croissants with coffee and fruit in the morning, nachos at noon, wine in the evening, and pies at 8pm. Oh, and the beach is terrific by the way. Not crowded at all even though it was peak season. The only problem we had in the three days we were there - on the second day the maid didn't get to our room until 5pm, and by then it was too late. That aside, this was a great stay and a first rate choice for us, and we will hopefully be back soon.

Dear Steve C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let others know about your recent experience with us. I am so happy you took a chance and checked out our beautiful area. Great food, great wine and pristine coastline makes for a perfect marriage of convenience and elegance.

I am so happy you were able to take advantage of so many of the wonderful things that make our area so special. I was also pleased to hear that the staff was kind and accommodating. I was happy to hear the issue with housekeeping was resolved and I assure you we have discussed the issue with our staff to help ensure that nobody else will have the same experience.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We were fortunate to be able to stay 1 night at the La Fonda during a family vacation from San Fran to LA.
This was my families favorite hotel on our journey. We had a charming "suite"consisting of adjoining rooms. One with a king bed and the other with a full kitchen and murphy queen for the kids. Super friendly personal service and tons of extras. They have a lovely wine reception in the evening and then later at night a feasting of locally baked pies. In the morning we were treated to some great croissants and fresh fruit. There are games to play and free DVDs to use.
Great location in Avila Beach.
Would unquestionably return if we are lucky enough to be back in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear David G,

Thank you so much for taking time to review our hotel! I was ecstatic to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you had an opportunity to enjoy some of the things that make the Avila La Fonda Hotel so special. We pride ourselves on being more of an experience than a hotel and the proof is in the details for many of our guests experiences.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Culver City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Wife and I visited Avila La Fonda this past weekend for her birthday celebration. Everyone was nice and welcoming. As stated in all the reviews, there was constantly food in the kitchen for everyone to share. We arrived just in time for the wine reception and had a glass of wine and some food.

The food served here is all costco food and while it's good, it's nothing to write home about. The room was nice, and we had a little slice of cake in the fridge for wife's bday, that was very nice. we took advantage of the snack bar and had some 25cent sodas.

We had an upstairs jacuzzi room right next to the ice machine and laundry room. the first thing i noticed was the AC, it was one of those portable units and was extremely loud.

The reason why I'm giving this place two stars is because the bed was extremely soft. We did not get any sleep all weekend due to the soft bed along with the super loud AC.

Despite all the amenities, it was a pretty miserable vacation due to the fact that we were not able to get any sleep. At $400/night, that is just not acceptable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Shengte Y,

Thank you for taking the time to let others know about your recent experience with us. It was disappointing to me that you didn't find value in your visit to the Avila La Fonda Hotel. While much of our food is from Costco, Nuts, fruit, veggies, etc... a lot of the foods that we serve are local from our many Farmer's Markets. We take deep pride in putting out a very nice spread of food morning, noon and night. Including fresh baked croissants which are handmade by a local award winning artisan baker. We serve this with organic orange juice and Peets Coffee each and every morning. Every afternoon we feature our Nacho Happy Hour which is served with select Santa Barbara Salsa from the Santa Barbara Salsa Company as well as locally handmade Taco Chips from Taco Works in San Luis Obispo. Each evening we provide complimentary appetizers (from Costco, i.e. shrimp, whole grain crackers, assorted artisan cheeses and a different Local, award-winning winery each and every night. In addition every night at 8PM we offer fresh baked pie from locally renowned Avila Valley Barn all of the fruit is grown locally and we bake the pies fresh every evening for our guests. As you can see we try to use as many local food products as possible. I do apologize that our complimentary goodies did not live up to your expectation and I will take that into consideration in the future.

To help explain the portable A/C unit: Because there aren't too many days in Avila Beach where A/C is necessary and we attempted to work around that issue and help make our guests as comfortable as possible by placing portable units in each and every room when the weather makes it necessary. I wish we would have had an opportunity to come look at the A/C unit and ensure that it was working appropriately, if it were I assure you it would have been whisper quiet as all other units are.

As you may know ice and laundry area's exist in each and every hotel, and while I understand that this may not have been your preference in regards to location, we simply had no other options available at the time you stayed with us. As you may have noticed our rooms are very well insulated and we very rarely get a noise complaint due to ice and laundry. I also apologize that the bed wasn't to your liking. Most hotels have to choose between a firm or a soft bed when selecting their mattress style and for the most part our guests prefer a softer bed. Many hotels now offer sleep number beds which can help resolve this issue greatly. Perhaps this is something we will look into the next time we replace our beds.

If there is anything I can do to assist you in relieving your frustrations please contact me directly at 805/595-1700.

Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

My wife and I had visited Pismo on a previous occasion and, while venturing about, found the Avila la Fonda and decided to stay there during our next trip.

Booking the trip using their website was very easy, and they offer a 20% discount to Costco members.

When we arrived, we were given the typical orientation of the property. But then the desk clerk also told us about the complimentary services and amenities offered by the hotel: the afternoon nacho bar, wine and hors d'ourves, and evening desert. The snacks were a welcome respite from a long day.

The hotel also offers both a welcome and a departure gift, and has a library of both books and dvds with which to spend one's evening.

The staff was exceptionally friendly and the noise level from neighboring rooms was practically non-existent (not sure if that was because the walls were that good or because we just had quiet neighbors).

We have already booked another stay for November. :0)

Room Tip: The Great Rooms have queen-sized Murphy bed. A bit snug in there, but it does have the kitchenette.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Brian61871,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to let us, and others, know about your recent experience at the Avila La Fonda Hotel.

We take deep pride in providing an outstanding experience for each and every guest that we encounter. It sounds like each and every aspect of your stay was pleasant and enjoyable and that is exactly what we strive for! We we're so pleased to see that you have already booked your next visit to the Avila La Fonda Hotel and hope that you will find a similar experience during your next trip.

If there is anything we can do to make your next visit to Avila Beach as enjoyable as this one please contact me directly at 805/595-1700.

Agoura Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Avila La Fonda is a little boutique hotel tucked in the beach community of Avila Beach, California. I happened to stay here overnight during graduation weekend at the nearby Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, when hotels in this town and in the surrounding areas jack up their prices in response to the demand. I paid double the normal rate, which was why I did NOT give this place an excellent rating. It just cost too much. Other than that, everything else was great. My husband and I arrived just in time for their afternoon reception. We did not stay for that, though, because we had an appointment to keep. Later in the evening, different kinds of pies were served with coffee, tea and ice cream. We particularly liked the Olallieberry pie. Delicious!

We had a spa in our room right next to the king-sized bed. Although I prefer tubs to be inside bathrooms instead of bedrooms, the tub's location did not bother me. The hotel also had a collection of DVD's you could borrow should you feel like it. Another guest told me there was a fitness room, but I did not have the time to try it out. There was a complimentary basket of snacks in our room, and just outside there was a room full of other snacks you could purchase at cost. There was no attendant - purchases I guess were on an "honor" system.

In the morning, we woke to the smell of freshly-baked croissants. Fresh fruit was also available with orange juice, coffee and tea. You would not go hungry in this hotel.

What set this hotel apart from the rest is the wonderful staff. They make you feel as if you were in someone's home. They were quite helpful too in letting people know what's available, and what's good to visit around Avila Beach.

This hotel is only a block and a half from the beach. People have told me that they've seen whales and dolphins in the ocean, but I never saw any while I was there. The underground parking in this hotel if convenient for guests because parking is rather hard to find close to the beach.

I loved it here! I normally stay at either the Embassy Suites or at the Marriott at the nearby San Luis Obispo because of the points I can accumulate, but now that we've discovered Avila La Fonda, I would probably stay here next time we're in the area. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear CITravelfan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us and others know about your recent experience with us. I am so pleased that you were able to take advantage of so many of the wonderful amenities that make us so special. I was also very pleased to hear that our staff was so helpful, kind and courteous during your visit. We take deep pride in providing an outstanding experience for each and every guest that we encounter and I was so happy to hear that you were no exception. If there is anything I can do to make a future visit to us even better please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 805/595-1700.

Avila La Fonda Hotel

Been to Avila La Fonda Hotel? Share your experiences!