“Love this place.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avila La Fonda Hotel

You added Avila La Fonda Hotel to your Saves list
Avila La Fonda Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 San Miguel Street, PO Box 217, Avila Beach, CA 93424   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
Sacramento, California
“Love this place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

We have been here a half a dozen times and always have a very pleasurable experience. The staff is super friendly. The atmosphere very warm and welcoming. I love the spacious king rooms. The bed was so comfortable. We get a room facing west so we don't look out onto the parking lot! The beach is one block away. The hotel has fresh chocolate croissants in the morning and in the afternoon they have a nacho bar with beer and coke. They have a wine bar in the evening and fresh pies after dinner. They load your room up with goodies. The best part is that there is no charge for these items. The hotel needs a new remodel. The tiles are cracked and coming up in the entry way and my husband tripped. The room we were in the tile in the bathroom had missing pieces. The sink had a problem draining. With all this said I would still stay here again. A little pricey but go on the off season and use your Costco membership to get thirty percent off.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Tulare, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I always love staying here when I go to Avila. The staff are so friendly. The pies are amazing! We actually went and bought one to make at home after our stay. Our only complaint was that housekeeping chain smoked. This wouldnt have been a problem (more of a running joke with my husband...every single time we left the room for three days, someone was smoking) except our room was on the ground floor with windows that were open all the time to let the air in and our room alway smelled like smoke. If you have read previous comments, one of the only complaints have been the lack of regular air conditioning. The units in the room work great to cool the room down quick, but being at the coast, you hardly use them. Being a former smoker, I found the smell pretty offensive. It isn't something that would ever prevent me from staying there again, I would just make sure to ask for a second floor room

Room Tip: Get some of the bath salts at the cute soap store across the street. A half a scoop and a soak in th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
El Pescadero, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

What a fun place to spend the night! Avila La Fonda provides lots of treats and amenities to make your stay delicious. Of course, I would love any place that provides yummy, complimentary sweets all day long. We stayed in the Retreat Room, which is on the second floor and has a balcony, fireplace, and jacuzzi tub. The tub is in the bathroom so it has a larger living area than the other rooms. Some people complained that this room is noisy as it is next to the laundry room. It didn't bother us at all. We loved the room and hanging out was enjoyable. We borrowed a great old gangster movie and lots of picture books from their extensive collection. The fireplace and beautiful bathtub made us forget about the fog and have fun staying in. It was like having a slumber party with my husband, fresh baked cookies and all!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The manager and staff were so amazing. The room was big and extremely clean. The layout was amazing. A huge bed, jet spa tub, fire place, double headed shower, fun events hosted by the hotel manger. The best hotel stay I've ever had in my life. I couldn't imagine a better weekend. I can't thank those guys enough.

• Stayed May 2013
Evanston, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel, and was pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff and amenities the hotel offered. Guests get freshly baked chocolate croissants and orange juice in the morning, and freshly baked pies are served in the common area every evening. Daily wine tastings are also available.

My room was very nice and spacious, with both a bath tub (which I unfortunately did not have time to take advantage of) and shower and, surprisingly, a full kitchen (I'm not sure if all rooms have that). If I'd have any complaints at all, it would be that my bed was a little bit squeaky (though it was comfortable), and my balcony had a view of a large empty parking lot (presumably to accommodate beach dwellers during the summer months). Other than that, my stay there was fantastic.

The hotel is situated a block from the beach and has a free parking lot. The ambiance in the hotel is very pretty and relaxing, you can even purchase snacks and drinks at very low prices. You can also rent DVDs and books for free.

I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Two years ago we stayed in Pismo Beach and was less than impressed with the crowds and the noise. Last year we found Avila and the La Fonda Hotel. What a great find it was. No crowd because we stay during the week, great food, wine, and most of all quiet. The ONLY noise we can make comment about is the Monday morning trash truck. Of course the La Fonda has no control of that. We have referred several friends to Avila and the hotel. In fact, we met up with close friends from San Jose last week in Avila and they are now hooked as well. We'll be back next year for another wonderful stay at La Fonda. Keep the pies baking and the wine pouring.
Chuck & Leslie
Temecula, CA

Room Tip: Both visits we were on the second floor. Room 210 is excellent.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This hotel is really wonderful. The staff was so friendly and accommodating. There were so many snacks during the wine reception they have every evening to the baked pies they serve every night. The chocolate croissants in the morning are really nice too. My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights recently and we definitely relaxed and enjoyed all of the peacefulness of Avila Beach. It's so close to Pismo and San Luis Obispo. Both towns have some really great restaurants. The trip could not have been better. Thanks to this amazing hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Avila La Fonda Hotel? Share your experiences!