“Fine dining on the pier with a great view” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 24 Restaurants in Avila Beach
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Southern California
“Fine dining on the pier with a great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

An elegant restaurant, at least if you eat in the original section - avoid the newer back section. Make sure you reserve, many people do not and will wind up envying your prime table. The cioppino was not only good, but very large and satisfying. We skipped appetizers and salads and went straight to the cioppino (and bread) which was plenty. The wine list appears spendy but they are serving some very high quality wines. We had a 375 of 'Mantanzas Creek Sauvignon Blanc for a very reasonable $18. A huge plus here: no corkage fee. Be warned that there is only limited parking at the end of the pier where the restaurant is. You can drive out to see if you are lucky, drop off your passengers if you are not and then take the car back to the non pier parking lot, preparing for the hike to the restaurant. It is a hike that is worth it. This is the #1 restaurant in Avila Beach for atmosphere and water views.
ps- We went back again on a non week end night. It was easy to park on the pier and the restaurant was not nearly as crowded. My wife went for the excellent cioppino again and I tried the Greek scallops and calamari, both were very good.

Visited July 2014

Sacramento
“Awesome seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I ordered the Fisherman's Platter and it was pricey but worth every penny. It has 2 scallops, 2 shrimps, calamari, clams, salmon, and 2 different whitefish. The clam chowder was a little too thick for me but still had a great taste. I also had rolls and butter.

The meal cost me $54 (tax & tip included).

Visited July 2014
“Great waitress that really knew the menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

From Iowa and came here on recomendation of neighbors. Nothing could have been better and the waitress Roxandra from Romania was superb. All in all it will be hard to top on this trip !!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sugar Land
“A Nice Evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Four friends / business associates and I took dinner at the Olde Port Inn and we ordered a variety of dishes. I chose the Cioppino and was pleased although not awed which I was looking to be. The broth was a little too garlicky and this from someone that loves garlic. Three of my friends ordered the Halibut and were very pleased. The other gentleman ordered the Sea Bass and it was too dry. He tried a taste of the Halibut from another and was impressed as was I when I tried it from a separate plate.
Overall, you have a nice setting, pre sunset is very pretty, and the service and wines were enjoyable but the meals were good but not special. Go for the atmosphere and the meal will be good to very good.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Expected lots, got disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We are doing a trip around California and planned to have lunch at the Old Port Inn at Avila Bay. I sent them an email several weeks ago regarding booking a table for Saturday 12th June Lunch. We never even received a reply which was a bad omen, but decided to go there anyway and chance our hand. As it happened we were given a table straight away.

Now I had read the story of the rebuilding of the pier and about the Old Port Inn and the stories of beautiful fresh fish and seafood. Sadly I must have been spoilt at home in Australia, as there was nothing on offer that was even inspiring. I had visualised a beautiful fresh fish grilled to perfection or similar, but there was nothing like this available at all. Everything was typical Californian messed about with! Cajun this and that and whatever, nothing resembling the beautiful unadulterated fresh fish I had been looking forward to. In desperation to get something to eat, I ordered simple fish and chips and even this had rubbery batter with some sort of Cajun spice in it that ruined the fish. I had a memory of Avila Beach and the Old port Inn from ten years ago or so, and was really looking forward to the experience I had then. Seeing the crowd at Avila Beach, the demographic seems to have changed downwards somewhat and so this probably accounts for the sad demise of this former great restaurant. I don't think I will return there again.

• Visited June 2014