“Interesting place and great atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Livermore, California
“Interesting place and great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had a nice meal there that good but we loved the scenery and atmosphere more than anything. I would recommend going out to the Olde Port Inn at least once during your stay in Avila Beach or if you are in the area.

Visited August 2013

Fresno
“Paying for the view...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My memories of the OPI were from the mid-80's and my college sweetheart (Cal Poly student) took me there for our 2 yr. (1st date) anniversary. Maybe my memories were colored by young love and maybe by a few first - legal ;-)) drinks, but boy, has it changed! We thought of it as very "swanky" place back then! Nothing about the OPI could be considered swanky in my jaded world-view now. Although the place is not super expensive by today's standards, you can expect to pay at least $25/person for average seafood. The only reason to go today is if you wanted to TRY and catch a romantic sundown view w/dinner. Although the day was sunny, we were not able to catch a view of the sun setting?!? Time of yr. vs. some low hanging clouds? The staff were very pleasant, arranging for a window (sunset) view seating reservation 3 hours before we called. The restaurant is definitely run-down, though, and needs a thorough renovation if it is to survive - I would think! We ordered the bacon wrapped shrimp as an appetizer. The shrimp were a good size (4 for the total plate), but the bacon was very salty and seemed to be encrusted in some sort of crusty batter. I think that ran about $12-13. I would have thought the dish would have been much better without the bacon being so heavily seasoned. The bread was tasty and warm but nothing special. We had to ask the waiter for more twice - just as noted in a previous review. The seafood platter we ordered was $32 (or $34 - something like that). It had fresh cod, large shrimp, scallops, and (tiny :-() clams. We had scalloped potatoes and vegies as a side. Everything was fine - just mediocre. The one seafood dish my husband and I ordered was plenty for us with the appetizer and bread, but those with heartier appetites might want more. The waiter was very pleasant and brought us the main entree split on two dishes for my husband and I without us having to ask. Unfortunately, the tables with the best sunset views were obscured by a large crane (seeming to be semi-permanently stored) to the left of us and a chain link fence to the right with an area full of people fishing off the dock. Long story short! ;-) If you are going to spend the $ for a special night and a beautiful view is very important to you, go somewhere else. If you want a pleasant venue for a group of friends to go drinking and having appetizers, this is probably a great choice. Also, the tables that have a clear glass-like top with a view of the sealife below (wasn't seated there but very cool according to earlier reviews), would probably be great if you are traveling with children/family. Parking can be very trying. We lucked out on a space that came up as we drove down to the end of the pier - and hung around for about 5" - but we watched as many cars tried to get lucky and had to drive back down the pier to park a walk away. No big deal if you are young and able-bodied, but for a woman in heels or a person with any disabilities, it's not going to be a fun walk! There were "handicapped" stalls but these were probably largely being utilized by the many elderly fisher-people (?)... as opposed to guests of the OPI. As a final note, we had read that diners would not be charged a corkage fee and we brought our own bottle of wine with us. The waiter was awesome - didn't have an iota of "attitude" about it, and we really appreciated that!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Reno
“Used to be good, now just so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

When I was young,my family would eat here quite often.I always remember it as very good.The ambiance has really changed over the years.When we were here in July the food was ok but very expensive and the service not great .they really need to do some remodeling and clean it up.We return to the SLO area every year and plan on moving back here on retirement.I doubt we will eat here again.Its sad because it used to be the best place for fish and it's out on the pier making it a cool place to eat.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“See aquatic life thru table!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

So cool and fantastic food and not that expensive, had a great bday dinner with family and desert was amazing also

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff
“Gr8 Views, Average food, High Prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was my first visit to the area and the 4 mile drive off of Hwy 101 to get to the bay is absolutely worth it. It's a bit of paradise, nestled in a hillside with a sandy beach, boats floating in the harbor and oceanside RV parking.

I drove to the end of the road and saw the building at the end of the pier, so I parked to walk over. It was fun to see and hear the sea otters along the pier, and the views were stunning.

The restaurant seating at the end of the pier offers good harbor views, fabulous sunsets and gr8 city light views. I had the sand dabs and both the fish & veggis were a bit oily for me. Service was average at 6 pm, but there were many reservations for the 7-8 sunset dining.

I love the area, but will try a different restaurant on my return, and hopefully RV parking!

• Visited August 2013