“California Cuisine with Ocean Views” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 24 Restaurants in Avila Beach
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Ocean Grill is ocean front dining just steps away from the sand in beautiful Avila Beach! Stop in today and try some of the most delicious and creatively prepared cuisine in San Luis Obispo county!
Avila Beach
“California Cuisine with Ocean Views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We live in Avila Beach, CA and were excited to try this new restaurant. It did not disappoint. We went for brunch on a Sunday and were delighted to discover that it is dog friendly. The food is people friendly. I had the Albacore Salad Nicoise which was a treat for the eyes as well as the mouth. My husband had the fish tacos, equally well prepared and presented. We are anxious to try it out for dinner and I will report back. The menu items look fresh with many healthy options. Beer and wine only.

Visited December 2013

Avila Beach, California
“Go to Custom House instead”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I came here after hearing some pretty good reviews on it. We started with the ceviche appetizer and it was great so I was excited to try the entrees.

I had the pork tenderloin which was totally bland and lukewarm. I barely touched it and the server didn't notice. Later I realized it was completely missing the horseradish sauce that the menu stated it had. I should've said something but I didn't. My husband liked the salmon and I thought it was just ok.

I wasn't too impressed. Maybe I'll come back for lunch so I can try the food again and it won't be so expensive like the dinner entrees.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Eric K, General Manager at Ocean Grill, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Hello! I wanted to personally reach out to you regarding your less than enjoyable experience with us here at Ocean Grill. Since your last visit we have introduced a new chef along with an entirely new menu! With this we have gone back to our roots with only the freshest local produce, fish, and meats! The flavors are definitely anything but lacking now! Also along those lines we have an entirely new menu that follows suit and is bursting with flavors and freshness! We hope that you will give us a second chance to show you that we are back and better than ever! Looking forward to seeing you soon! :)
Morro Bay, CA
“A Tale of Only Two”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

A couple of caveats so you know what to expect when dining in Avila: First, since the rebuilding of the town after the broken petroleum pipe, most new construction has been hotels, vacation condo rentals and two streets of visitor serving facilities. With all that lodging, your choices for dining are limited to just two nicer sit-down restaurants (Ocean Grill and The Custom House) this is no reflection on the pizza, fast-food, taqueria places.

With the numerous traveler accommodations, dinner usually means a wait at either of the two restaurants. As of now they don't take reservations, so if you go in during prime dining times, you are probably going to have to wait. Just a heads up on planning for dinner…

My server was Dan, he was efficient, kept me informed as to when me meal was coming and very polite. I ordered a caesar salad, and the mahi-mahi tacos with fries. Personally, I judge restaurants by their caesar salads. Greens were fresh and crisp and the salad dressing was lite, both in taste and amount (I liked both). So if you like a caesar smothered in dressing, you will have to ask for additional dressing. Said it came with croutons but didn't (good!) and they use Spanish anchovies (good).

The mahi-mahi tacos were large and served with (I think) a mango/pineapple salsa. Generous portion of fish in each taco and cooked to perfection. But there is something missing: With just a tortilla, the fish and the salsa, it was rather bland. The salsa had no kick (not necessarily heat, just no pungent flavors like cilantro…) and you know what a tortilla and the fish taste like. So that just needs a little improvement. I thought the fries that came with the tacos (I know…) were very good if you are fry guy like me.

The have California beers (Firestone, Figueroa Mountain and Stone) on tap, so I chose the FM Hoppy Poppy. Also a pretty extensive wine list. Some reviews have said cash only, wrong, they do take credit cards. And they do have a really nice view...

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Clovis, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Long wait but friendly staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Very busy Sat nite with 1 hr wait at 7:30. Busy fun atmosphere and wait staff very friendly. Not for an intimate nite date!
Thai potstickers were excellent. Fish chowder was small portion and not hot.
Ahi was ordered rare but over-cooked.
Probably go back as this was first experience and only open for a few months.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boulder, Colorado
“Wonderful addition to Avila Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Quirky, little Avila Beach has few choices for sea food. The new Ocean Grill provides a fine dining choice from the more mass market alternative. We had two choices from their "Fresh Fish" specials and found that Chef Michael really knows his stuff. The waitstaff did a great job of communicating my lactose intolerance. Highly recommended stop for a meal when journeying up the mid-California coast to the Hearst Castle or when staying in Avila or nearby Pismo Beach.

• Visited October 2013