“Trying hard but coffee only ok ” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 23 Restaurants in Avila Beach
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Australia
“Trying hard but coffee only ok ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This place has potential and it's committed to good coffee but I would say it has some way to go to nail it. I found cappuccino quite bitter and a bit nothing. Keep trying. It's got a future!

Presteigne, United Kingdom
“Good coffee friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

A really good cup of coffee and tasty pastry, a great start to the day. Obviously a popular place to go as the seats outside were full and only a few seats available inside.

Visited May 2014
Avila Beach, California
“Just a coffee shop, not a do again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Love the name of the place, but that was about it.

The wife and I stopped in on 6-17-2014 at around 6:20 pm. Took a minute or two to get acknowledged by the guy that was cleaning the place before he stopped cleaning to take our order. No, "hello, how you doing"; just a, "what can I get you".

The so called "barista" never even said a word until he said the name of the coffee we ordered, signaling it was ready to be picked up, then not even a thank you. Coming from the LA / Orange County area, I am used to folks greeting you when you walk into their shop, unless it is real busy; we were only two of about six people in the shop.

The guy that took the order overcharged us; charging the price of a large for a medium, the coffee that was served was just barely hot so there was no need for a coffee sleeve, and I think I have had stronger coffee from instant. At least it had a tolerable taste, but by no means was it fit to be called a vanilla latte. My wife's white chocolate mocha was the same. She is not one to complain, but even she was surprised that a place the boldly states how good their coffee is, failed to meet her expectations and stated she found the service to be rude at best.

In my opinion, $10.00 for two cups of coffee, requires the coffee be something that is remembered for quality and the service should be great. I will say the building was clean and they have some good looking danishes, but I highly doubt I will return to give them a try.

Truly a sad thing, since this place is only one of three places to get coffee and they are so close to the water. They could easily be as good as the advertise they are.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
SAN JOSE
“Have your coffee, and watch the dolphins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Starbuck's eat your heart out.
Open early for those of us who can't as yet beat the early morning habit. Advantage is you can have your early morning coffee and watch the dolphins in the bay.
Really nice pastries. The (unfrosted) cinnamon rolls are very tasty without being overly sweet. The scones that we had were excellent. And the coffee was rich without the scorched taste. Plus, really close to an outstanding Inn.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Carpinteria, California
“How can a place so good be so bad?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

To start off the coffee is great and service was polite and fun to talk to. So why do I use the word bad?

Well the owner can be a little rude, and when I say a little I mean a lot. We had bought coffees and food early in the morning and were now catching up on some studying when a man who announced himself as the owner told us we could not be loitering on his property.

I kindly explained we had bought food earlier but he would not listen. We just ended up leaving. My advise is to try it out and cross your fingers he isn't around.

Visited April 2014
cahotelguy, Owner at Joe Momma's Coffee, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
How can just few students ruin it for all rest ! We have only 24 seats ,unfortunately a small group students abuse not only our store but Avila restaurants, by ,bringing their own food,ordering pizza delivery,asking for hot water bringing own tea, making huge mess in bathroom,using drugs in bathroom, shoving two tables together and than camping out for hours ,while customers wait for tables to clear,put their muddy feet on chairs, table tops,
So if you are one of the above " poorly behaved children" ,we unfortunately have to be the mom or dad clearly you never had.and ask you to behave.
Most students are great but we are not a library,or study hall. Please if that's why you want to come
To beach ,go elsewhere ( but just alittle secret no one else in Avila wants that business either )
But if you do want great coffee, ocean views and staff that are passionate about coffee we your place .But if act like spoiled kid ,yes you will be asked to leave.