“Great Place to Relax” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   256 Front Street, PO Box 328, Avila Beach, CA 93424   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Avila Beach
“Great Place to Relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2005

My husband and I have enjoyed this hotel for the last two years. It is not a big hotel, I think they have 31 or 32 rooms, but the rooms are spacious and very clean. Because the hotel is smaller it is usually very quiet. We have always had a room with the small kitchen (stove, refrigerator, microwave, and sink) which allows us to have breakfast and dinner at the hotel. We eat up on the lovely sun deck with its grand view. The sundeck has cabanas, BBQ's, TV's/VCR's, hammock, and wet bar. While sitting up on the deck, we have watched dolphins, pelicans, seals, and sea otters swim by us. If you like walking on the beach, it is literally right across the street.

The staff is friendly and you truly feel like a guest. The lobby has a wonderful collection of art. There is also a common room with a fireplace, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. There is a sitting area and tables. The hotel also has a great video library for the guests to use during their stay.

This is the place to go to get away and RELAX!

Carey and Debby Parnell

Stayed October 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2005

Enjoyed the Inn and appreciated the laid-back staff who made us feel like guests and not customers. Nice room on third floor, with great view overlooking the Bay. Plenty of room for kicking back and relaxing. The rooftop patio provided an excellent alternative to the large balcony. With the local restaurant, deli and bar down the block, there wasn't any reason to drive. We ended up staying another night just to appreciate the peace and quiet. Their ecelectic video library came in handy after learning I left our stack at home. We lucked out and had beautiful weather, but I would stay here rain or shine.

• Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

The Inn at Avila Beach is not your typical hotel. Although my husband and I have enjoyed previous stays in the romantic spa & fireplace rooms, this time we reserved a family suite to include our two young grandchildren.

As soon as we arrived, I knew we'd made a good decision to book our vacation at the Inn at Avula Beach. While some places "tolerate" children, this hotel welcomes them with open arms. Even as we were checking in, the owner handed beach buckets, shovels, frisbees, and adorable sunglasses to the kids, who couldn't wait to walk across the street to play on the beach. After sunset, we were given popcorn and movies to keep the children occupied while we relaxed in our suite.

To top it off, the Inn now has a massage therapist on duty and I received a wonderful treatment while the my husband and the kids spent time on the sun deck barbequing fish we bought at the farmer's market in the afternoon.

It's all the special touches like this that make the Inn different from your corporate type places. Each room has a different theme, so each stay can be a different experience. I highly recommend the Inn at Avila Beach for couples, families, and singles alike. It's what a vacation destination should be!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

My girlfriends and I occasionally schedule a weekend away from the the hustle and bustle of partners, children, and jobs to recharge our batteries and enjoy a little women-only time together. This summer we booked a suite at The Inn at Avila Beach for a weekend of sunning, reading, swimming, and relaxing (okay and a teensy bit of shopping). This year was the best ever.

The manager at The Inn at Avila Beach (Edward) was all smiles and made us feel very welcome without being intrusive. Our room was just wonderful--including a deck with a full view of the ocean. The library was stocked with lots of great books /videos and the coffee was on all day long. The room also included comfy robes, and endless supply of towels, and friendly staff who seemed eager to help answer questions and give directions.

We spent a great day on the beach after a fabulous evening at Mr. Ricks Nightclub--just a block or so up the street. The next morning we hung out on the rooftop deck where the massage therapist set up her table so we could enjoy the fresh air and waves while getting yummy rubdowns. (Thanks, Eldonna!) After walking the pier and browsing the shops, we ordered a drop-dead-delicious meal from Guiseppe's--delivered to the Inn and consumed on our little deck as the sun set over the ocean.

We've all agreed to make the Inn at Avila a regular girl's getaway, but that after reading the bedside journals (with entries left by satisfied couples) that we will definitely book a room with our partners in the future, as romance would easily go hand-in-hand with the quiet little inn at this beautiful coastal getaway.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

I wanted to kick back with a friend and forget about things for a while. This place was the greatest! Thank you to all the staff for a job well done.

When you find a place like this, as I did, one wants to tell all how great it is - the service, the comfort, the quiet, the pause, the special things that are so important - I have told many but I hold this place as a special place for my retreat. We needed just that and will be back again and again as you are our piece of paradise.

Please keep this location, your service, and all you deliver to your customers a special secret. I will give you the highest marks and will be back again and again.

Your team delivers the best of the best. Well done!!!

A customer in San Diego

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2005

What a fun little place - Nothing usual about it. Our room was beautifully decorated (good size touches of elegance, plushness, bold colors, with a touch of funky), comfortable, well and thoughfully appointed, and everything is wonderfully clean. We had an in-room jacuzzi and gas fire place which was perfect after a day at the beach.

The Inn is casual and full of nooks and crannies with surprises in each one -I especially loved the library wall (stuffed with videos and books free for guest use) that rolls aside to reveal a large hidden room behind that is prefect for good sized gathering. The roof of the entire building facing the ocean has been turned into a row of semi-private cabanas, each with hammocks, a daybed with lots of pillows, gauzey drapes, a bar, refrig and community barbeques. Perfect for siesta, watching the sunset or moonrise, romance or whatever. The service was amazing (cheerful and not intrusive).

The Inn is located in the last remaining "real" little beach town in California. High quality restaurants, a few shops, golf, wineries, and the best of California scenery everywhere you look. Everything right at hand without being in the middle of any commercialism or traffic. The beach is a great family beach.

When I want a special get away, I want to feel like I've been someplace special and at the same time be able to really relax. This place will stay high on my list.

• Stayed June 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2005

Who would have guessed this funky old inn would have so many wonderful secrets tucked inside its unpretentious exterior? From the unique tuscan decor to the world's most unique bathroom to the breathtaking rooftop views to the massage therapist who made our vacation package complete with one of the best massage I've ever had (and I've had a lot of massages).

The Inn at Avila is perfect for those looking for a true getaway without all the bells and whistles of your typical hotel. No phones in the rooms (who needs 'em--we all have mobile phones and I prefer to turn mine OFF on vacation) but plenty of entertainment including a full video library and free unlimited popcorn for foggy days and cushy robes to hang out on the deck overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

Did I mention the massage? Local Massage Therapist, Eldonna Edwards, (she's also an author) works out of a beautifully appointed studio decorated with silky fabric on the ceiling and deep purple walls that make the room feel cozy yet elegant. Her 12 years experience are evident in confident hands that sought out all my achy places and soothed my work-stressed body. Her kind smile and gentle spirit make you immediately comfortable and her well-trained hands are strong yet nurturing. Best money I spent in Avila besides the room itself.

I highly recommend the Inn at Avila Beach as a perfect romantic or relaxing (or both!) getaway for couples and a fun/funky stop for families looking for something out of the ordinary. Plenty to do in town or just walk across the street to the beach--20 steps away!

*There are lots of photos from other guests of the view and the inn, so I'm posting pics of the massage studio and the massage therapist.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Avila Beach
Spyglass Inn
Spyglass Inn
#15 of 28 in Pismo Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 567 reviews

Been to Inn at Avila Beach? Share your experiences!