“The BEST choice for a hotel if you visit catalina island.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa

You added Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   888 Country Club Drive, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Avalon
Rowland heights
“The BEST choice for a hotel if you visit catalina island.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

This was one of the greatest hotels i have stayed at through out all my visits at catalina. Its clean, great customer sercvice, great accomodations and an awsome spa! if you plan on making your catalina trip memorable, i highly recommend you stay here!
Crystal D

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
CatalinaCanyonGM, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2010
Dear Crystal D,
We would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and giving us your feedback on your experience with us. We loved hearing about the great things you enjoyed about our hotel and certainly appreciate all of your positive comments on our Spa, customer service and clean rooms. We are constantly striving to make our guests experience a memorable and enjoyable one. We appreciate your recommendation and we look forward in welcoming you back soon!

Gonzalo Rodriguez, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

You can tell that this hotel used to be very nice back in the day. The grounds are well kept (no weeds or debris in the flower beds), but the entire resort has a sense of age to it. The rooms, although nicely sized, have very thin walls and are dark. You can hear the music at the pool from your room and anyone who sits out on their balcony and talks. There is a musty smell to the rooms, and the bathrooms need a remodel.

Most of the amenities are in some state of disrepair. The pool wasn't heated, the spa was cold, and the work out room had a broken lock, and one set of 40 pound free weights. The high speed internet, although free, was very spotty.

We traveled with a friend who said he found bed bugs in his room. He mentioned it to the front desk person who didn't show a great deal of gumption to fix the issue for future guests. This was our only poor experience with the hotel staff, as the rest of the staff was very nice and attentive. The check in went well, and the shuttle drivers are the best. They are kind and offered us great dining choices.

All in all, I wouldn't stay here again, but it was a good price. If you are looking for a place to crash without any frills, this will do.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear cyanhead,
We are extremely sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. We were disappointed to hear that you felt the rooms were musty, the bathroom were in of remodeling, the bathroom amenities were in disrepair, the pool was not heated to your liking, the spa door lock was broken, that you felt the internet service was spotting and that your friend stated he found a bed bug. I would like to ensure you that we have inspected all the rooms for insects and we did not find any. I would like to also thank you for the positive comment about our landscaping, the front desk staff and the shuttle staff. Thank you for completing the review on our property. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.
LBC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

Gonzalo Rodriguez is the General Manager and his staff are friendly and efficient. We had some unruly neighbors and the front desk switched our room and apologized profusely for the inconvenience. the CCRS is a five minute walk from downtown Avalon, but they have a continuous shuttle during up until 10:30 at night. The rooms are clean and good sized, and very affordable for Catalina.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Elperrograne, Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit. We certainly appreciate hearing that you had a good experience with us and although there were some unruly neighbors, I'm glad that we were able to accommodate you in another room. We also thank you for the great compliments on our property and our customer service.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your valued feedback. We are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Westlake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

We recently stayed on Catalina in January 8/9, 2010. The hotel was clean and the staff very friendly. Overall the stay was very pleasant and reasonably priced.

Upon leaving the Island, my child informed me he had left his electronic game under the bed of the hotel room. I called the hotel, and the front desk office informed me that housekeeping had not found the game. Knowing it was in fact there, I called back and asked for the hotel manager. Once I reached the hotel manager, Gonzalo, he quickly had the room re-searched and the game was indeed hiding under the bed. Not only did he set it aside for me, but he personally made sure it was mailed off the Island (during one of the worst storms to hit CA!!!) and once he had tracked it's departure, even placed a follow up call to me to ensure it's delivery .

Having been in customer relations myself for over 17 years, I found Gonzalo's customer service to be, not only impeccable, but simply refreshing. It's wonderful to know individuals of Gonzalo's caliber still exist, when so often it's easier not to exert any effort.
My recommendations for the Catalina Canyon Resort, as well as Gonzalo and his staff, are rated very high...and I will certainly be returning again!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Dear Midnitepixie,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit. Thank you so very much for all of the great compliments on our customer service, affordable rates and personally it was a pleasure assisting you with your son’s lost GameBoy. We are always happy to assist our guests in any way we can and are glad to hear that we were helpful and available whenever you needed anything. We appreciate your time in giving us your feedback and completing the review on our property. We look forward in welcoming you and your family back!

La Jolla, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

I have to say that I was a bit daunted by some of this and other sites' negative reviews of this hotel. I decided to take the plunge despite the not so favorable reviews and see this place for myself. Part of what compelled me to stay here was the wonderful price of the room and I reserved two. From the moment our van ascended the hill to this spectacular resort, I knew I had picked a winner and could hardly believe that some people had run this place down. The hotel used to be owned and managed by Best Western but that changed a few years ago. The front desk staff, especially Adam, couldn't have been more attentive or helpful. I have stayed at the world's very best hotels and though this one may not be a world class one per se, I was quite pleasantly surprised at the wonderful and personal attention we got from the front desk to the nearly private van limo service we enjoyed. The hotel is reminiscent of an exclusive Central or South American resort in feel with its exotic and majestic mountain location; it sits very high on a hill overlooking Avalon. The air quality is so pure and clear from where Catalina Canyon Resort sits, that I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I know that sounds contrived, but the surrounding(undeveloped) hillsides and beautiful country club grounds are not to be believed. You can hike behind the hills near the hotel or walk down the long, winding road to town. The hotel shuttle is free of charge and takes guests into town for no fee, as it is quite a hike down the hill into town.

As for the rooms, again, I am a huge hotel snob and check everything from drapes to floors, we had rooms on the fifth floor which feature cathedral ceilings. The room decor was very tasteful and fit the mood of Catalina Island. Each room has a private patio overlooking the mountains or other part of the resort and harbor in the distance. The hotel also features a pool, lagoon, and lush, tropical island vegetation that complement the overall Mediterranean feel of the resort. I was so enchanted with this place and I had looked at some of the best hotels in town and NOTHING seemed to compare to this place, it is magical and a wonderful experience and a great value for the money. In the off-season, I got two rooms for $88 a piece, not bad at all. In the off-season months, you must keep in mind that the Catalina Country Club restaurant, just down the hill from this resort is not open for dinner, nor is the hotel restaurant which stays open only for breakfast and early lunch. However, you can take the free shuttle into town wherever and whenever you want for no charge, a true God send. The hotel also picks you up for free at a stop on Catalina Avenue in town at any time in winter til a quarter to eight in the evening. The Wrigley Botanical Gardens are just up the road from the Country Club golf course and all the attractions of downtown are easily accesible as well. I would highly recommend this beautiful hotel for families, romance, or any other special occasion. I wouldn't stay anywhere else on Catalina Island, as this place certainly can't be topped for comfort, style, beauty and a once in a lifetime experience! I will surely return to this wonderful resort hotel in the future. I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Cjennt,
We truly appreciate all of your wonderful compliments on our great service, accommodations and amenities! It is always exciting to hear when our guests take the time to share details of an outstanding trip after staying with us. It was our pleasure to make such an impression on you with our kind and knowledgeable customer service, clean and spacious accommodations and all of our great amenities you mentioned in your review. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for completing the online review for our property. We look forward to your family's next visit!

Best Regards,
ShellyJfamily
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

First the website really has you fooled this place is supposed to be a resort. When we arrived we were so disappointed. The desk clerk ignored us while she talked to another employee until my husband said "can someone help us". We finally recieved our keys with no one to help us with luggage. When we opened our room it smelled like mold, the bed covers were wrinkled and the toilet had some kind of residue. We asked for a room change which after an hour was even more frustrating. My husband asked to speak with the Manager and the desk clerk replied, I don't no were he is but you can check the bars downtown. We understand these are small motels but the owner/manager should be around to help customers and not having holiday cocktails in the bars. We will not be recommending this place to anyone.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
CatalinaCanyonGM, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2010
Happy Holidays, I would first like to thank all of our past guests for taking the time to post your comments. I know that without them we can not improve our product and services.
I would like to address the most recent comment stated "“Resort? More Like a Motel!!”By the ShellyJfamily on Jan 2, 2010. First, I would like to apologize for the way you were treated upon arrival and not enjoying your guest room. Second I would like to ensure you that what you stated on your comment was not true and if an employee told you that, then I will need to research this and ensure that these improper comments not happen again. I can ensure you that I was either in my office, my apartment and was even in the restaurant serving and bartending the entire time of the holiday season and that at no time was I out enjoying cocktails as you were told. Shelly Family, please contact me directly at 310.325.0325, so that I can get more details about your experience at our hotel.
Thank you for your time again and please allow me in repairing our views on you hotel.
Yours,
Gonzalo Rodriguez
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

This was my second time this year staying at the Catalina Canyon Resort. This last time, we happened to be staying during the month of the island's Jazz Festival. We reserved a deluxe room, which is worth the price because you get a lot more space than the standard rooms. The hotel also provides free wi-fi, which proved to be useful during our stay.

The hotel is situated away from the hustle and bustle of Avalon, so guests can expect more peace and quiet here, but everything in the town is still within walking distance. Also, the hotel provides a free shuttle that runs to downtown and the harbor every few minutes.

Even though there were plenty of visitors the weekend we stayed there, the staff was still attentive to our requests. For example, we noticed that our shower door was leaking, so they immediately moved us to another room. The drivers were also very helpful whenever we took a ride into town.

The hotel does not provide room service; however, a couple of the restaurants in town will deliver orders to your room. We like to also make sure that we have dinner at the Catalina Country Club every time we visit. It is the equivalent of one block from the hotel, and a great place to dine.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family