“a bit charge happy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   888 Country Club Drive, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“a bit charge happy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The hotel was okay, a bit old but was decent because we were given a free upgrade to a spa room due to the hot tub being out of service during our visit.

However, they double charged me for my two night stay at the hotel. They snuck in the second charge four days after my visit. I am now in process of disputing my charges which is totally uncool.

Room Tip: ask for a free upgrade.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This place is in dire need of a complete renovation. Aside from being run down, it's dirty. I felt gross the minute I walked in the room. There was a giant blood smear on my pillow. My husband showed the front desk clerk who said they 'note' our account, but nothing was ever said or done after that. The carpet was gross. The whole room was icky!!! The grounds are the same. Old, rundown, and sad.

The restaurant is only open for breakfast during the week. What 'resort' doesn't have at least room service available. My husband and I travel 3-4 times a year and this place was the absolute worst.

• Stayed August 2013
Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Contrary to several bad reviews, this property is a really nice place to stay. Check in was fast but then we found out there are no bellmen and no way to get to our rooms without traveling down stairs. The spa staff and services are awesome. The free shuttle runs often. While you could walk back from town, unless you are in super good shape, don't try it. The rooms were average. Clearly old and outdated but clean. There is no room service but you do have a fridge in the room. We had two rooms and both had hot tubs. This place hardly qualifies for a resort since there is nothing luxurious about it, no room service, no bell service, no poolside service. We had no issues during our stay 08/09 to 08/11 2013. Oh, the shuttle wasn't at the boat to pick us up. We took a cab for $10 since we didn't want to wait.

Room Tip: Rooms 123 - 127 are tucked away in a quiet spot but close to the pool, restaurant, bar and spa with...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Although this hotel is in need of a MAJOR facelift from the inside out, I would still recommend it as an option for your stay in Catalina. We took just a two day family vacation and this hotel worked out great. The front desk staff is very friendly and welcoming and will go out of their way to accommodate your needs. Check in is not until 4 , but the hotel will check in luggage and hold electronic devices at the front desk for you. There is a free shuttle which runs from the boat terminal, through town and back to the hotel and runs until 9:45 at night. There are two shuttles, so we never had to wait more than 10 minutes. You can also just walk down the hill into town, which is a 10 minute walk (even with 3 small kids). Although the rooms are old and a little dilapidated, they were clean and the beds were comfortable. The kids loved the pool, although small, was nice and warm! They have one restaurant only open for breakfast but the food was fantastic. This is no 4 or 5 star hotel but it's perfect for a short stay and I would probably stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: They have suites on the back side of the hotel which are larger and look a little newer.
Poulsbo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Went on a girl's trip. My first trip to the island and I was really excited. We waited for over 20 minutes for the shuttle (there is only 1 which runs EITHER to the ferry stop OR to the downtown area, so if you're at the ferry, there could be a wait, depending on where the guests already checked in are staying). Finally gave up and took a taxi (with several others who were headed to the same place).

We arrived to find luggage strewn all over the lobby. Apparently there is no safe place to check your luggage. Had I been less honest, I could have walked in and taken any bag without being stopped or questioned. (I refused to allow my laptop bag to leave my personal possesion until I reached my room.)

While the lady behind the counter was friendly enough, I wouldn't describe them as 'professional'. (I can't chalk that up the island's atmosphere, because I switched Hotel Metropole, who charged just a bit more, but proved far more professional.) Upon entering the room, the green carpets were largely black with filth, the room smelled of mold, the sheets were scratchy, the bathroom had ants and black mold in corners of the shower...I've stayed in Motel 6's across the country that have all provided better rooms for a far less gouging price tag. The TVs are not flat screen (and got fairly staticy picture) and the Wifi was so aweful, neither cell phone nor laptop picked it up. (This might be a 'plus' for those looking to unplug, but I was hoping to get some work done.) The rooms looked as if they'd been recently painted, but there were still black marks on the walls, and the furniture is probably something out of the 1980's.

I visited the fitness room later in the evening. There was no map given to the property, so I called the front desk to get the fitness room's hours and location. It rang for over a minute at around 7pm before someone answered. After walking around the pool for a while (I was just told it was 'in the courtyard, by the pool, can't miss it') I headed toward an open door with a light on (my shoes now wet from having to walk around the pool - which could be a hazard if they had a treadmill. They avoided that hazard by simply not having a treadmill anyway). The fitness room included an elliptical, one of those multi-purpose weight machines, 1 adjustable weight bench, and a FEW (not even a complete set) or RUSTY dumb bells. They had 40lbs, 35lbs, 25lbs, 12lbs, 10lbs and another pair of rubber colored dumb bells that were 10lbs and (I assume) 2 lbs (they were unmarked). There were also a few mismatching yoga mats.

I was greeted by a dead spider hanging from a web from the ceiling in the door way, but not before I met a very friendly black cat... which was being fed by whomever occupies the room beside the fitness room (as evidenced by the partially empty can of wet cat food sitting outside the room). I opted to jump rope just outside the room for part of my work outs (the ceilings are too low to accomodate a rope indoors). As I went about my work out, I noticed the crumbled ruins of a concrete fountain that had been removed and left back there rather than being properly disposed of or destroyed.

We were on the 3rd floor. Other (lower) rooms might have been more newly rennovated, but I can only recommend this resort to those who don't mind not spending any time in their rooms and are good friends with ants.

The faded sign for the lobby should have been our first clue... From soup to nuts the experience was worth about $60... not $200...+

Room Tip: Haggle. Upon hearing we were leaving, we were offer free nights. No thanks. DO NOT pay rack rate unt...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Templeton, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The rooms were dirty and old. Carpet was old, the paint on the wall was chipping, and the overall feel of the room is dingy and outdated. Our room was booked by a family member so I didn't really have a choice in the hotel. When I read the reviews prior to our trip, I was a little worried. When we got there, all my worries were confirmed. Our stay was at the beginning of August (2013) and we stayed for 4 nights.

The blowdryer in our room was broken; it worked, but part of the plastic was broken and to an unobservant guest, it could lead to a little surprising jolt. We had ants by the bed near the patio door. I didn't complain and just slept on the other bed; but on two separate occasions I overheard two guests complaining to the front desk about ants. That, paired with other reviews, it sounds like ants are a pretty common problem. One of the conversations I heard involved the front desk employee saying something along the lines of, "Well...at least they're not those big red ants...". Bathroom smelled a little moldy (if moldy has a scent..). The place didn't really have much ventilation and the room is really dark.

My daughter brought her little blanket to sleep with and when we left the room, the maids came in to clean the room. When we came back, my daughter couldn't find her blanket. We eventually found it crumpled up and on the floor under the bed. I had the blanket washed and didn't let the maids clean after that. The whole place felt gross to me. I also felt compelled to wear flip flops in the shower. I may just be a little OCD, but the place could have definitely used a little TLC.

The front desk staff wasn't real helpful. They weren't thrilled to be working there and that was abundantly clear. Surprisingly, I didn't complain much while I was there because I just figured you get what you pay for (and this place was cheap compared to others). But as a warning, this place is not a luxurious hotel and certainly gives a false impression with the "Resort and Spa" title. Next time, I will shell out a little more (I've heard great things about the Hamilton Cove Villas). One good thing I can point out is the shuttle service. The guys were really friendly and its a real convenience!

San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The lady whom seemed to be the manger at the front desk was very good & welcoming. The room itself was nicely furnished w/ an old non flat screen tv but it worked well. The carpet was disgusting and the rooms were badly in need of paint & TLC. My room had a half used lotion bottle in my bathroom and the hair dryer was falling off the wall with drywall dust from it on my vanity. The bed was comfortable albeit I only stayed after seeing the room du to I was traveling with my sister and wouldn't have fpinf 2 empty rooms in the same hotel at such late notice. My sisiters room was the same as mine only it had a bad ant problem. The ants were in the bed and in the bathroom. She called to the front desk to report it and get a new room but none were available and the man @ the front desk was unhelpful, unsympathetic and confrontational and told her she was "unreasonable" for wanting new linen and knowing what kind of chemical they would be spraying in her room to remove the bugs (ie the name of it Raid ect..). He told her to come to the office and she did and he was rude & confronational , refused to give his name and then grabbed his bag and walked out. She was floored. The manger found out and did call her back and apologize & comp'd her room as well. The pool was right outside our room & very noisy till after 10 pm and the floor above us was noisy as well we heard kids running around quite loud. All this for over $200 per night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!