“Resort & Spa is a stretch of the imagination” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   888 Country Club Drive, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #20 of 20 hotels in Avalon
Orange County, CA
“Resort & Spa is a stretch of the imagination”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

It's obvious whoever owns this "resort and spa" is not interested in putting any money into the property to make it a place of cleanliness, beauty or comfort.

The staff was nice enough, the shuttle good service.

The pool had beach chairs which are worn and saggy, so that when laying in them, you could feel the bar against your back/bottom. The jacuzzi was so wretched looking I wouldn't go in...worn paint, and a brown water ring around the top. The "pool towels" were the size of large hand towels. We hit the pool around 11am, and the bar/snack bar had just closed until 3pm...no cocktails poolside for this "resort".

The room was advertised as a in Suite Jacuzzi Tub, but the jets had something which looked like MOLD around them...again, I wouldn't even get in the tub. The carpet had tears and was unraveling, there were stains on the furniture, and the door didn't close properly.

Room Tip: A Hotel with a Motel feel. Get a room on the main floor, or you will be hiking up and down stairs w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Squeaktoy,I want to thank you for taking the time to post your review and share with us your experience while staying with us in our hotel. We are very sorry that you did not get the service you expected. Your feedback is taken seriously and I hope that you gives us another opportunity to make your next stay a better one on our behalf. Once again thank you and hope you have a great day.

446 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The one bright spot was the shuttle driver. I agree with everyone else that it is NOT a resort. Dirty floors and shabby rooms. Customer service was shabby too. We were told the pool was heated during check in, it's not. The pool is okay and poolside is nice enough but we were totally afraid of the Jacuzzi. It was filthy and beat to death. It's true, there is no soundproofing and if you like the neighbor's TV to be louder than any conversation you're having, this is the place for you. If you like the inclusion of a restaurant for convenience forget this place. Front desk people were semi-comatose and lethargic. They told us we should have food delivered......okay. They referred a name of a place. They didn't mention there were no phone books in the room so not only do you return to your room then you have to call the guy sharing hair dressers with Bozo back at the front desk to get the number. 26 minutes on hold. I left the phone off the hook and took the shuttle into "town".

Room Tip: Stick to the upper floors and you won't have to hear at least one room of those abutting yours..
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy R, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear RubenC,We are extremely sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectation during your stay with us. We hope you will reconsider in giving us another opportunity to make your next stay better.
Carmel, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The staff was pleasant, the shuttle was helpful going up and down a big hill. The kids enjoyed the pool and table tennis. The room was out dated but clean. The walls are thin so you can hear the people next door. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear SardaD,Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor regarding our hotel. We're very happy to hear such nice feedback , it's always helpful to know that our customers are happy with their stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Have a nice day.
Pollock Pines, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My family and a friends family stayed here for a couple nights, The kids ranging from 2 years old to 16 years old loved it! Location is not bad considering it's up hill, Our family loves to walk and check places out, It's not a bad walk to the restaurants, beaches, and store. The front desk, shuttle drivers, and staff are very friendly. One of the shuttle driver, recognize us and stop to ask if we needed a drive back to the hotel, the swimming pool and jacuzzi are clean. The only thumbs down is the restaurant in the property, it's pricey and you don't have a lot of breakfast selections, the waitress needs training, she got all the kids ordered mixed up and wrong. The spa is awesome, the owner was accommodating to our needs, we called and requested for 4 couples massage the last minute and she gladly scheduled us right away. All in all it was a great stay, we are all looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear JeanneE,Thank you so much for your time in completing the online review. We appreciate your feedback and are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. That really says a lot! It tells us our guests enjoy their experience here at the Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa and we couldn't ask for anything more!
San Clemente, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The woman at the front desk was extremely slow, rude, and just seemed unintelligent. She was whispering to her employees quite loudly about how we were stressing out the maids! Why is check out 11 am but check in is 4pm?? The room was LOUD - the walls & ceiling are Paper Thin. It sounded like dinosaurs were staying upstairs. The maids left an envelope asking for tips, but didn't even provide us with an extra roll of toilet paper. And for the price of the room ($189) they should be able to pay their maids better. I went to 4 different vending machines looking for water and they were all out. There is no fridge or microwave, so don't try and save leftovers. The pool is way overchlorinated so after 5-10 minutes you're ready to get out. There is a ping pong table for the kids, but the paddles are in BAD shape. Overall, this was a poor stay. I hardly slept from the monsters pounding away upstairs, there is nothing to do at the "resort" other than swim, and the restaurant is mediocre and closed at random hours of the day. The resort is way up the hill (which i actually didn't mind, helped me walk off dinner) but I do not recommend for families with small children, elderly, or anyone who doesn't like walking uphill. I say Don't Go!

Room Tip: Don't stay here Higher Floors have less noise, Nice Balconies.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kellbreezy,First I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor. We are extremely sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. Your comments allow us to better our operations in every department . Thank you for completing the review on our property. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.
Folsom, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I recently stayed at this resort and was not very impressed. Upon arriving, I noticed I got the message that I should lower my expectations for food, service, and attitude. I booked a courtside room and was switched to a third floor room right away. I was given two $10 vouchers for food. I was not happy with the switch but did not want to hassle with getting another room in Catalina on such a short notice. The whole place needed a lot of TLC. The room was okay but again needed TLC in all areas (sheets, cleanliness, grout work, etc.) We went to the restaurant to try to relax and the service was very SLOW! The drinks arrived in plastic cups even though we were sitting on the patio. Again, lower your expectations! Again, I could not help but to notice that this was a place that had seen its better days. I went to the pool and there were limited chairs. I noticed another couple wondering were to sit. I went into the restaurant and requested chairs and they informed me to get them myself! I was floored but dragged two chairs from an adjoining patio. Again, I was thinking to myself, "Lower your expectations!"
The place could be so much better with different management. Too bad! Just be on your toes when coming to this place! I will not return or recommend it!!
Pros- pool, jacuzzi (needs a lot of TLC), shuttle to town back and forth all day long.
Cons-
SLOW service in all areas, not very pleasing to the eye (needs TLC in all departments), food is so-so, same 80s soundtrack played all day long.

Room Tip: Be aware that the music blasts all evening so keep this in mind when getting a room by the pool. Be...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear AzucenaYuma,First I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor. We are extremely sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. Your comments allow us to better our operations in every department . Thank you for completing the review on our property. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.
Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I had booked for a package that included Champagne and Chocolate. When I landed there early, I asked if I could checkin. They asked me to leave the phone number so any one checks out early then they would inform me about it. This never happened even till the checkin time (4PM).
After finishing my day time activities on that island when I reached back to the hotel. The door was too hard to open and needed manly power to open it. The room was regular and nothing so great about it. I found to my surprise that the Champagne and chocolate was not made available in the room. On calling the front desk, I was made to wait indefinitely. I hung the phone and called back a little later to get an answer that they provide after 2 hrs of checkin (it was already night). One person came to the room with one bottle of champagne and no chocolate. On asking I was been told that there were no chocolates in stock (Another big disappointment).

During our checkout I complained about it and they said that they will reduce the amount of chocolate and provided me the reduced amount of $25. I requested them to take back the champagne bottle as was requested earlier during checkin. After a while of hassle with a person at the front desk gave me back the same bill and said the champagne also was included (howz that possible that same $25 reduced bill with reduction of chocolate and later with champagne also? Is champagne $0?).

I was very unhappy with the front desk who doesnt have a polite way of interacting with people. They just keep speaking and doesnt listen to you.

Room Tip: Take a strong man with you to open the door
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dearv RamMohanS,We are extremely sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectation during your stay with us. We were disappointed to hear that you felt our hotel was overpriced and that the room conductions did not meet your expectation.

Been to Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!