“Great Shuttle Service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   888 Country Club Drive, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #19 of 19 hotels in Avalon
Glendale, California
“Great Shuttle Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

There is not a whole lot of 4 star places on Catalina if there is any. The Catalina Canyon Resort is nice and is right next to the Country Club. Front desk was very friendly and helpful. The shuttle service was extremely convenient and friendly and drops you off right at the downtown area across from Jacks Restaurant...Not the worst, not the best place. We stayed on a Groupon which was nice. The free wireless is terribly slow, Breakfast was inexpensive, tasty (breakfast buritto and pancakes) service was very slow

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Travelshooter71, Thank you so very much for your compliments on our accommodations, location and customer service. Thank you for completing the review and taking the time to give us such great feedback.We are very sorry about the internet and will look into it right away. We are looking forward to welcoming you back!

461 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We had used a Groupon to take a mid-week break to go scuba diving in Catalina, and decided to stay here, as it wasn't a terrible walk into town and was in a quiet area. I think they must have looked down on us for using a Groupon to stay there, because the room they gave us was awkwardly-shaped and fairly small, with a small balcony. The room was also adjacent to the elevator, which we could hear through the wall. They were good about providing us with extra towels, but considering that we were trying to keep their carpet dry and their bathroom floor from being slippery, I would have expected them to be quite gracious. We did not know about the complimentary continental breakfast until our last morning there, and we were only there in time to get the dregs of coffee and what appeared to be day-old pastries.

Room Tip: tell them you're paying full price, if you are, and don't remind them if you got a deal to g...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Nancyuen, We are extremely sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. We were disappointed to hear that you felt we treat our customers different when using Groupon not true. We love our Grouopon customers.. Thank you for completing the review on our property. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We went during the winter season, so it was cold, windy and not swarming with people. It was a nice getaway from the normal reality of Southern CA, only a quick boat ride away. This hotel was quaint and had most of the amenities I prefer in a hotel: gym, pool/spa and shuttle service (and I used them all when I was here!) They were all small yet functional - good for my mother and I. Was able to get good rest, as there were no loud neighbors or construction going on. The complimentary shuttle service is great - just don't forget to tip the driver! They take you all the way from the dock to the hotel, or to town. All staff is friendly and helpful. I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Missjae15,, We are all so happy you, your Mom enjoyed your experience with us so much that you felt you had to post a review and share the details with us and other travelers! We truly appreciate all of your excellent ratings and compliments on our hotel and super friendly shuttle drivers. It is always so rewarding to receive such positive feedback from our guests. It lets us know that we are doing our job at exceeding our guests' expectations in every way we possibly can. We thank you for choosing to stay with us and for completing the review. We hope to accommodate you and your Mom again soon!
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have read a number of horrible reviews about Catalina and especially about Catalina Canyon Resort. I got a groupon for my 5 year anniversary and am very worried about a less than great experience. It seems that the Owner Randy is very invested in making sure guests have a great stay, but the follow through isn't there. I dont have big expectations given all the reviews and will make sure to review on Yelp and Tripadvisor by the end of the trip. I will give you all thorough review after the trip. Keep an eye out for the follow up!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear NickT,Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor regarding our hotel. We're very happy to hear such nice feedback , it's always helpful to know that our customers are happy with their stay. I look forward to your comments.Have a nice day.
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Just needed to get away and relax. Its so nice to see the Owner/GM walking around making sure the guest are enjoying their stay. We have been at this hotel a few time and just love it. Yes it is a bit run down but we heard from Randy that a majot renovation is happening very soon. It will be great what he told us. Do yourself a favor dont take all the bad reviews to heart this place is great. See you in the spring.

Room Tip: Top floor or the big family suites
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Roxy1954,, We would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us again and giving us your feedback on your experience with us. We loved hearing about the great things you enjoyed about our hotel and certainly appreciate all of your positive comments on our accommodations. We are constantly striving to make our guests experience a memorable one. We look forward in welcoming you back soon!
Hanford, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We went to Catalina Monday Jan.7th till the 10th and we couldn't wait to leave. There were 7 of us and we all were very excited but sadly it wasn't what we expected at all. We only ran into 3 nice people which was really disappointing we stayed at the Catalina Canyon Resort and it was not nice to say the least. the sheets were crispy, blankets gross rooms were dark now I know why we got the good deal on groupon. which is not a good deal when you pay $74 for round trip per person to get there. hotel staff weren't pleasant best part of the place was the gardening who ever there Gardner is I wish I could have him at my house. The Restaurants were just ok nothing spectacular it was weird each menu looked like the same person designed them and they had very similar food. wait staff were not nice acted like we were bugging them and I could hardly understand them. overall was not a great trip I have seen the island 3 times now twice on a crew ship this was first time we stayed there and I would not go back or suggest it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Calimonroe,We are very sorry to hear that you were not satisfy with your stay with us during your. I also want to thank you for taking the time to write a review and giving some feedback because this is one of the ways that lets us know where we need to improve as a company..Thank you and and have a wonderful day.
Los Angeles, Calfornia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

First and foremost, this hotel is about a mile walk, uphill front the landing dock in Avalon. This is quite the hike when you have luggage. I suppose you can take a taxi to the hotel for about $15, but why would you want to do that? Anyways, the support staff at the front desk was less than helpful. I was exhausted from my trip and wanted to check into the hotel a few hours early. Normally, most hotels have no problem with that, but apparently this hotel has a huge problem with that. So don't expect to check in until right around 4 PM. I left my telephone number with the front desk and pleaded with them to call me when there is a room available. I did not receive a phone call and when I went to check in around 4 PM, there was a line of people already checking-in. To make matter worse, I called prior to 4 PM and they told me that if I didn't receive a phone call, then there were no rooms available. I've stayed at my fair share of hotels and this place probably has the worst service.

Save yourself a headache and don't stay at this place...

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Mahndoo,We are extremely sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. We were disappointed to hear that you had to walk up the hill to our hotel when we have 2 shuttle vans runing daily. As for not being able to check in early we are very sorry however when a hotel sells out daily llike ours does its almost impossible to turn the rooms in that short of time. Thank you for completing the review on our property. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.

Been to Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!