“Nervous about upcoming trip” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa

You added Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   888 Country Club Drive, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Avalon
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Nervous about upcoming trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have read a number of horrible reviews about Catalina and especially about Catalina Canyon Resort. I got a groupon for my 5 year anniversary and am very worried about a less than great experience. It seems that the Owner Randy is very invested in making sure guests have a great stay, but the follow through isn't there. I dont have big expectations given all the reviews and will make sure to review on Yelp and Tripadvisor by the end of the trip. I will give you all thorough review after the trip. Keep an eye out for the follow up!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear NickT,Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor regarding our hotel. We're very happy to hear such nice feedback , it's always helpful to know that our customers are happy with their stay. I look forward to your comments.Have a nice day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Just needed to get away and relax. Its so nice to see the Owner/GM walking around making sure the guest are enjoying their stay. We have been at this hotel a few time and just love it. Yes it is a bit run down but we heard from Randy that a majot renovation is happening very soon. It will be great what he told us. Do yourself a favor dont take all the bad reviews to heart this place is great. See you in the spring.

Room Tip: Top floor or the big family suites
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Roxy1954,, We would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us again and giving us your feedback on your experience with us. We loved hearing about the great things you enjoyed about our hotel and certainly appreciate all of your positive comments on our accommodations. We are constantly striving to make our guests experience a memorable one. We look forward in welcoming you back soon!
Hanford, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We went to Catalina Monday Jan.7th till the 10th and we couldn't wait to leave. There were 7 of us and we all were very excited but sadly it wasn't what we expected at all. We only ran into 3 nice people which was really disappointing we stayed at the Catalina Canyon Resort and it was not nice to say the least. the sheets were crispy, blankets gross rooms were dark now I know why we got the good deal on groupon. which is not a good deal when you pay $74 for round trip per person to get there. hotel staff weren't pleasant best part of the place was the gardening who ever there Gardner is I wish I could have him at my house. The Restaurants were just ok nothing spectacular it was weird each menu looked like the same person designed them and they had very similar food. wait staff were not nice acted like we were bugging them and I could hardly understand them. overall was not a great trip I have seen the island 3 times now twice on a crew ship this was first time we stayed there and I would not go back or suggest it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Calimonroe,We are very sorry to hear that you were not satisfy with your stay with us during your. I also want to thank you for taking the time to write a review and giving some feedback because this is one of the ways that lets us know where we need to improve as a company..Thank you and and have a wonderful day.
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

First and foremost, this hotel is about a mile walk, uphill front the landing dock in Avalon. This is quite the hike when you have luggage. I suppose you can take a taxi to the hotel for about $15, but why would you want to do that? Anyways, the support staff at the front desk was less than helpful. I was exhausted from my trip and wanted to check into the hotel a few hours early. Normally, most hotels have no problem with that, but apparently this hotel has a huge problem with that. So don't expect to check in until right around 4 PM. I left my telephone number with the front desk and pleaded with them to call me when there is a room available. I did not receive a phone call and when I went to check in around 4 PM, there was a line of people already checking-in. To make matter worse, I called prior to 4 PM and they told me that if I didn't receive a phone call, then there were no rooms available. I've stayed at my fair share of hotels and this place probably has the worst service.

Save yourself a headache and don't stay at this place...

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Mahndoo,We are extremely sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. We were disappointed to hear that you had to walk up the hill to our hotel when we have 2 shuttle vans runing daily. As for not being able to check in early we are very sorry however when a hotel sells out daily llike ours does its almost impossible to turn the rooms in that short of time. Thank you for completing the review on our property. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I'll be visiting catalina canyon resort from february 3rd-5th; so trip advisor followers be ready for a thorough review. I'll be traveling with my girlfriend and planning on proposing to her during our weekend get-away. Like most men geting ready to take this step, I am nervous as heck and want everything to go perfect, because of this I have called the resort numerous times with off the wall questions and they've always been more than helpful...I'll let you readers know how it goes I'm booking a romantic package includes champagne and chocolates and hopefully I get a balcony room with (cross my fingers) one of those jacuzzi tubs I've read about in other reviews...

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear EdgarB,We are so thrilled that you are pleased with are service thus far and it will only be better when you arrive, Please give me call when time permits so we can discuss your upcoming reservation. We want to make sure all goes well for you to. We are looking forward to welcoming you!
Bakersfield, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My now husband took my to Catalina in April 2011 were we got engaged. At the time we booked we booked a room with the in room hot tub Jacuzzi. Upon arrival it was dirty and had someone elses hair in the sink/drain. So we changed rooms and were charged the same price. BOO!

Anyway the stay on the island was pleasant but I think I would of stayed in my room more if we stayed in the room that included the hot tub. But it gives me something to look forward to on our next trip there!

Room Tip: The first floor rooms are beautiful and good when you actually want sleep from the chaos that can be...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear ChrisyA,Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Catalina Island. We certainly appreciate you taking the time to complete the review on our property and share your excellent experience with other travelers. I would love to speak with you regarding your stay so please when time permits give me a call. We are looking forward to welcoming you back!
Whittier, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for my birthday weekend free trip to Catalina. The grounds are nice, and the room was spacious. Upon entering the room we noticed a "smell". Like the room hadn't been open in a while. After about an hour with the door open it went away and didn't return. We have stayed in a lot of really nice hotels and this one was what we paid for. About $100 per night. No frills, but we did enjoy the fridge and microwave. We read a previous review about the town closing up around 8pm so we stopped at the Vons and stocked up on food/snacks in case we missed out on the restaurants. The hotel was over all quiet, in fact I think we made the most noise one night while facetiming with our kids. We were laughing so hard at thier antics about 10:30pm that the neighbors banged on the wall. Sorry!! We quieted after that and had no further incidents. I was pleased with our stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear WittierTraveler,Thank you for taking the time to post a review and share the details with us and other travelers. We all here at the hotel take pride and are committed excellent service, affordable rates.
We thank you for choosing to stay with us and for completing the review. We hope to accommodate you again soon.