“disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   888 Country Club Drive, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #19 of 19 hotels in Avalon
“disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

we had 2 nights here on a group-on deal, although i don't think this was much reduced from their usual price. The front-desk staff were disorganized and tried to charge us twice (at check-in and check-out) for taxes that had already been taken from our bank account. It took a long time to check in. The rooms were ok but the decor left a lot to be desired. On the first day we accidentally left the do no disturb sign on so the room was not cleaned, when we asked for clean towels they provided these (no washcloths) but did not offer to take away the old towels. The walls were very thin and the first night there was a party going on in the room next door which did not make for a peaceful evening. The shuttle service runs every 15 minutes into town which was helpful (15 minute uphill walk on the way back if you miss the last one at 8.45). Overall if you're looking for a cheap place to stay it's not terrible, but i wouldn't go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Juno85,We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Thank you for completing the review on our property and allowing us to improve our product and areas of our operations. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.

454 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

It doesn't get too much more relaxing than this. The grounds were quite & clean. And watching deer roam around from our balcony added to nature's natural calming effect. Much needed after working 25 days straight on a very demanding program.

• Stayed October 2012
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Victoria M,We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your experience with us! Thank you so very much for your compliments on our grounds and that you enjoyed the deers. They can troublesome at times since they love to eat all of the plants. Thank you for completing the review and taking the time to give us such great feedback. We are looking forward to welcoming you back! Dont work so hard next time before taking a break.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My family and I rented two rooms and we were all amazed at the incompetence of the front desk staff or perhaps they're lack of interest. It's a shame because the rooms and balconies were very nice and we were enchanted by the deer who roamed the grounds. We were rudely treated by the receptionist and then I was given a room which turned out to be already occupied (luckily they weren't in the room when I opened the door). When I went back to request an unoccupied room I was again treated rudely and curtly told where my new room could be found. I asked to speak with mr. Rasmussen but he was never available (too many complaints to deal with or just not interested?) . They also changed the last time of night shuttle pickup without notification and there no apologies offered.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed well located. The hotel isn't located with good views of the marina or oce...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
DearRhebaB,I want to thank you for taking the time to post your review and share with us your experience while staying with us in our hotel. We are very sorry to know that our front desk staff was very rude and that you did not get the service you expected. As for asking to speak to me Iyou did I was at the front desk when you checked and went to your room to find it occupied but nobody was in their. I did apolgize to you and you said no problem. Your feedback is taken seriously and I hope that you gives us another opportunity to make your next stay a better one on our behalf. Once again thank you and hope you have a great day.
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This hotel is badly in need of a facelift. The room looked like it was last decorated in 1980 and it smelled musty. I would not walk barefoot on the carpet. Despite that, the linens were clean, the TV and coffee pot worked and the water was hot in the shower. It was a little cool to use the pool but it looked clean and they had nice mature landscaping. The property was about a 15 minute walk from town and you can get a good cardio workout if you walk back uphill. They did have frequent shuttles for those who did not want to hoof it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear wanderer31310,We are extremely sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectation during your stay with us. We were disappointed to hear that you felt our hotel was and the room conductions did not meet your expectation. I would like to thank you for the positive comments about our hotel in general. We are going to be going thru a major renovation to bring back this beautiful property. We hope you will reconsider in giving us another opportunity to make your next stay better
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Ok...I haven't stayed there yet, but my first impression is not good. I first tried to make a reservation through their online system, but it was down. So, I called their reservation line. The first two "agents" cut me off. When I called back the 3rd and 4th times, I got a recording. So, I decided to try calling the hotel directly. And, I got the front desk...RECORDING...3 times so far. Still hopeful, I tried Randy, the Group Reservation Mgr, and...you guessed it... another recording. I don't recall ever having so much difficulty trying to make a reservation at a hotel. In my entire life. I've had better luck getting though to the DMV. Seriously. Think I'll move on...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dearciaobene2,We are extremely sorry to hear that we could not answer your phone call when you called. This has been a very busy season for us and as we try to answer every call sometime its impopssible that is why we ask to leave a message and we will call you back. I am sorry you feel I did not call you back but I had no mesage from you.. We were disappointed to hear that you have moved on we would have love to have you stay with us as so many people do. I guess when you have a great hotel people want to stay with us. Have a blessed holiday and maybe in the future you will give us another try.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Took advantage of the free Catalina trip on my birthday, wasnt expecting much from the location but was very impressed but it all. The shuttle was awesome and the drivers took us around to some cute shops. The restaurant was delicious!!! Highly recommend this hotel...can't wait for my birthday next year!!

• Stayed August 2012
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
DearJannett_Munoz, We would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us on your Birthday and giving us your feedback on your experience with us.
It is always exciting to hear when our guests take the time to share details after staying with us. As we are constantly focused on making each experience with us the very best!. Again thank you for taking the time to complete the review on our property. We're looking forward to welcoming you back once again!
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have been staying at the Catalina Canyon Resort and Spa hotel every year on my birthday in Nov for the last 4 years! I just love the location of the hotel which is "away from the noise and busy flavor of the city". It sits a distance up in a canyon offering peace and tranquility which is what I am looking for in my visit for relaxation and destressing. So if you need to be near the bars, shops, or tours, or are young people looking for action, this may not be for you. The shuttle van is free, quick and easy that takes you back and forth from the hotel into town, so there is a bit of walking involved. The front desk lady Ophilia, is so warm & friendly and makes me feel soooo special and remembers my name :)) I will be back !!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Randy R, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Losangelesredd, Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Catalina Island again on your Birthday. We certainly appreciate you taking the time to complete the review on our property and share your excellent experience with other travelers. We are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Been to Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!