“I would totally stay here again!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa

You added Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   888 Country Club Drive, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Imperial Beach, California
“I would totally stay here again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was my first trip to Catalina and Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa helped make it a vacation I will never forget. The customer service was excellent! When the boat arrived we were able to locate the shuttle easily. The driver was very kind and offered some suggestions for places to eat while we were on the island. We had arrived before the 3:00 PM check in time and the lady behind the counter said she would check to see if any rooms were available with no hesitation. There was and she checked us in. She advised the shuttle does loops into town every 15 mins, but we never had to wait the full 15 mins the 4 days we were there. Our room was clean and had fluffy pillows, which is a plus for me. I always travel with my own pillow, just in case. I know I won't be needed that my next stay. This is the ONLY hotel in Avalon that has a swimming pool and hot tub that I'm aware of. It was nice to have some down time away from the crowd at the beach to lay out and swim in the pool, or soak your muscles in the hot tub after walking all day. We had friendly service at the hotels resturant/bar. We met the hotels GM and asked "If we have a golf cart where would you suggest we go in the time frame we would have it for?" He sat down and drew us a map of places to see. We truly had a wonderful time in Catalina and I thank the staff of Catalina Canyon for their friendly hospitality and great suggestions.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Imperial Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

FYI, the Catalina Canyon is the only hotel on the island that had it's own pool, jacuzzi, and restaurant. Don't shy away because they are not exactly on the beach. Smartly, they offer a FREE shuttle down to the beachfront and back every 15 minutes. We never actually waited more than 10 though. That was a great touch after a long day of fun in the sun... The hotel grounds are real nice too, we had a garden view of the lush green courtyard from our balcony. In addition to the view, the hotel itself was pretty quiet as well, enough to hear the island brids chirping in the morning :) We even showed up a couple hours early and the staff were able to get us right into a room with an additional balcony upgrade to boot!
Overall, the customer service & hospitality was excellent from start to finish, thanks to the classy management, and staff. Thanks Canyon!

Brea, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Catalina Express was offering free round-trips to Avalon on ones exact b-day. I figured if I found a hotel that would take a Friday night only (very rare in the summer-most demand 2 night minimum) then we would take a quick trip over to the Island. Fortunately, I won an auction for the Catalina Canyon Resort and a great price and I did get Friday night only. The reviews were decent, but for one night, I'd try it.
The hotel sits about 1/2 mile from town, up a big hill. The best thing about the hotel is the shuttle service. They picked us up at the boat harbor, and they run a shuttle all day, every day until 10:45 pm. It drops you in town. Great deal. Nice drivers.
Now, the hotel was a bit of a disappointment. It was overrun this weekend by "little leaguers" - they took over the pool, so we could not use it...they ran up and down the hallway all night, so sleep until after 1am was impossible and not only because of the noisy kids, but the beds were hard and not comfortable. The pillows are lumpy. The room we had was a Queen/Queen on the 4th floor. The beds took up almost the whole room...barely enough room to walk between them and the TV-table & chair to the balcony/patio. I did love the balcony/patio, but the kids running around outside created so much noise, we weren't able to read out there. The door to the outside barely shut and the chair hardly secured it. It was very pretty though. We could see to the ocean. I was able to utilize it in the early am - no kids running about. I did feel like I was in an upgraded Motel 6 room. I kept slippers on at all times. The carpet had weird stains and didn't feel right. The bathroom was not clean enough for me. There were large cracks in the molding and ants! We called for RAID and they did bring it. Any hotel without a hand held shower loses points with me. I could not regulate the water temp. It was either burning hot or too cold - no in-between which made for a frustrating shower. The only toiletries provided were a tiny bottle of shampoo and conditioner and one bar of soap. No lotion!
We did not utilize the restaurant or spa. We preferred to eat in town - such great restaurants and ambiance.
So for one night, fine...if I came again, I would chose one of the nicer boutique hotels in town.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Driftwood, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

This resort is not on par with Hilton or Hyatt resorts, but once you get past that and ignore minor irritations, it is a wonderful place to stay. We loved it and will definitely stay here next time we come to Catalina. It's a perfect setting in the hills right out of town and yet not too far to walk. We walked with our 6 yr old to town and back multiple times, and it only took us 10 mins. The shuttles were frequent as advertised, but it was just as easy to walk and very pleasant with beautiful views. We even walked as far as Descano Beach one way and the Catalina Express boat dock the other way and did fine.

Tip - stay on the top floor (5th) for a vaulted ceiling and a nice view. We were in room 506 and had a peek of the ocean from our balcony.

Plusses: location, views, rooms pretty nice and comfortable, free shuttle, pool is "warm enough", hot-tub is nice, price (compared to other hotels), family friendly, easy to reserve with lots of rooms available

Minuses: No refrigerator or microwave in room, pool could be a few degrees warmer, non-fluffy towels, skimpy on shampoo bottles (ours didn't get replaced, and we had to go ask for a new bottle), older style wall air conditioners that cycle on and off annoyingly

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Seal Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

We had a great time in Catalina with our family and made the most of the accommodations at The Catalina Canyon Resort but....sorry to say this place was well below our expectations. It was obvious that whoever the owner is that he/she does not put money into this place as an investment. They let it go a long time ago....a walk to the pool will tell all. The jacuzzi has a wooden-glass piece that has fallen off without repair....the waterfall looks like something out of a 1970's miniature golf course. There is no service whatsoever during the weekdays around the pool area at night.....need a beer? Have to go to town to get one with a round trip of at least a 1/2 hour shuttle ride. Speaking of the shuttle ride....the first couple of days were great, but the next two days we had to wait 20-25 minutes....ended up walking it (which was probably a good thing to work off all the food we ate).
All in all, the next time we come to Catalina (which will be very soon), we will spend the few extra dollars and stay close to the main beach....much nicer hotels and in the middle of all that is Avalon and Catalina!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Whittier, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Upon arrival this hotel was very quiet, easy to locate and best of all extremely comfortable. The decor preference and walls provided an easy way to relax. The staff were very helpful and accommodating to anything we needed. What I also found convenient was the fact that this hotel was the only one on the island with a pool. I found it comforting to take a swim in later afternoon hours avoiding the busy shoreline crowds. My overall experience with this hotel is greatly recommended and will definitely be visited again very soon. Thank you very much!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Montclair, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is my second trip back to the hotel and each time I have never been dissappointed in the staff or the room. I have never had a staff so friendly and willing to help. I will never stay any place else! Beautiful Hotel! This stay our room was just above and waterfall. So peaceful to fall asleep to the sounds of water flowing down. What a great nights sleep. I cannot say enough about this place!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
CatalinaCanyonGM, General Manager at Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Hi Kathleen,

It was a pleasure speaking to you. I would like to thank you for giving us another opportunity, I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. Should you have needs to return to the island please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best,

Gonzalo Rodriguez- General Manager

Been to Catalina Canyon Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!