“Very pleased for the price!” 4 of 5 stars

Glenmore Plaza Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   120 Sumner Ave, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #18 of 20 hotels in Avalon
California
“Very pleased for the price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2006

The Glenmore Plaza Hotel is one of the oldest hotels on the island... that was a part of our Catalina vacation experience. Catalina has an extensive history with many restored structures from a bygone era; staying at the Glenmore Plaza Hotel felt like we went back in time! The hotel lobby was restored beautifully! Our room was clean, bathroom was huge, beds were comfortable, price very reasonable and coffee hot and fresh! We had the time of our lives while on the island- most importantly the wife and family were happy. Thank you for the great service, holding our luggage while we shopped and the ride to the dock-- we’ll be back again!!!

• Stayed April 2006

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2006

I have to admit that I was a little bit scared when we left on this trip because I read most of the reviews on this site and none were excellent. So I decided to take it with a grain of salt, and we went anyway. The Glenmore gave us a great package for 300.00 which included our boat trip, room, and glass bottom boat tour. This price was discount because we had a aaa memembershipe. The ride over was great and when we got to the hotel they let us store our bags. We took the time till check in to get a massage at the touch of heaven day spa it was wonderful and priced well for a couple. When we check in our room wasn't a marriot or hilton but you have to remember that most of the buildings are historic and they aren't going to be perfect. Our room didn't have a view and was sort of on a slant which became funny. However we found that we weren't in our room that much at all because there is so much stuff to do and see. When we were in the room I took a jacuzzi tub while my b/f relaxed. The continental breakfast was just muffins and juice/coffee, which could of used some improvement. If I was to go back the only reason I wouldn't stay here is because I would of like to have a view from our room otherwise for the price I would. I also recommend taking your bike it's only 6.00 round trip and you don't have to pay to rent one hourly or a golf cart. The hotel also has a place you can store them at night. Overall all the hotels in Avalon are old and probably not an A+ but your aren't going to want to spend your time indoors. I'm already looking forward to going back.

• Stayed April 2006
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

First and foremost, this is an old hotel WITHOUT an elevator. The floors are not leveled, nor do they smell fresh.

I rented the "Amelia Earhart" room @ $250/night. I would not recommend this room for those that expect luxury. The carpet is old, the fixtures are dusty, and the bathroom is tiny. They do have a whirlpool, but the ingress/egress factor alone makes it quite uncomfortable.

In all fairness, the staff (while juvenile) was friendly and easy going. Catalina Island as a whole is not for those that are seeking city like entertainment. It's a small island, with a very laid back attitude. The shops and restaurants are pretty friendly, but the prices for their services are a bit overpriced in my opinion.

Back to the room, the bed was old and stiff, and smelled like they did not use fabric softener. Bring a flashlight and make sure you check under the bed for any little creepy crawlies. I spotted a spider and had to kill it instantly. Also, bring some Lysol and spray all the handles, bathtub, toilet, etc. It’ll make you feel a little better.

The bathroom had some signs of slight mold, but did give complimentary bath and body works shampoo and conditioner (which the GF liked). The water pressure was excellent, as was the temperature of the hot/cold water.

As for the other reviews of loud noise and such, my room was on the 4th floor, so the noise wasn't so much of an issue. However, the view was not as nice as advertised. Only 1/4 windows had an ocean view, and that one window shows a lot of rooftops along the ocean scenery.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Avalon, and give it a 7/10. One thing that I need to mention is that during the evening, after 10PM or so, there are a lot of drunken college kids running around on the street. I was surprised at the lack of law enforcement near the bars and clubs to avoid any type of conflict. For the first timers, I would highly suggest going there for a one day getaway, then return if they see fit.

I would rate the hotel as following: (out of 10)

Staff-8
Cleanliness-6
Safety-9
Quality-7
Room Amenities-7
Overall-6.5

For what it’s worth, I checked out all the other hotels in Avalon, and found most of them to be of comparable quality. Don't expect room service and other luxuries. Hope this helps.

• Stayed February 2006
Cleveland, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

This is a filthy place.

When walking in and out of the hotel, you are treated to the smell of rotten garbage coming from the alley between the hotel and a pizza place.

Touching light switches, faucets, etc. is a disconcerting experience given the level of grime.

The carpet? Bedspreads? Sheets? I don't want to know what I may have come in contact with.

I completely understand and agree that Catalina is a unique place and those looking for luxury should look elsewhere. A Catalina supporter would point out that the island offers a laid-back charm, relaxed island atmosphere, and quaint "throw-back" feel. Fine -- but, that doesn't justify a unsanitary hotel and that, in my opinion, is what the Glenmore is.

One positive: the front-desk staff was very nice.

Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

Don't stay there if you are trying to get any sleep, not to mention a good night sleep. Across from the hotel, there's this NOISY dancing bar place that has loud music until 3:00am. Right adjecent from the hotel is a bar, VERY NOISY until 2:00am. Not to mention the squeeky beds that you can hear what your neighbors are doing (both next door and above you) ALL NIGHT LONG! The worst thing is that this is an older hotel but has a very modern appeal, don't get fooled. Not to mention the price $159/night is totally over priced.

• Stayed August 2004
Huntington Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

I stayed at the hotel last weekend. At $250 a night it included a bathroom door that wouldn't shut, a dirty bathroom and dirty bathroom towels that were replaced only upon request. Loud, thin walls, small room decorated somewhere in the 70's....blinds that would not stay shut...and a view over looking the alley...the most disturbing element were the sounds coming from the hall way that sounded like a small child running towards our door...and then would mysteriously stop once it hit our door...after looking several times up and down the hallway to find nothing we could only conclude the place must be haunted....horrible stay...not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2005
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2005

We had a room on the third floor. Room was clean, but very funky. Fresh paint helped but bathroom was dated. Just remember you are staying in an old hotel with sloped floors and room additions that have taken place over decades. Location is great. I would check around town for other accomodations first. Rack rate if you book through the hotel. Check travel websites for better rates. We made the best of the situation and just enjoyed what the area had to offer.

Been to Glenmore Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!