“LOVED IT !” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
o.c. calif
“LOVED IT !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

My husband & I have been going to Catalina every summer since we were newly weds, (1976 ) and later with are 3 boys, family and friends, (I fell in love with the island as a child when my family would go.) Needless to say I have stayed in just about every kind of rental there is to offer. From private homes in the hills and on the flats, condos, and just about every hotel there is ! Last year we booked late and could not get a house. We got lucky with an availability at the Glenmore. We brought our 3, 20 something sons and got a room with a king size bed, a fold out bed, and a small bedroom with a queen.. Yes it was crowded for the boys, but there was room for a table & chairs,(over looking the happenings on the little street) a fridge, t.v. and a wonderful jacuzzi tub( dont forget the bubbles) The boys had a blast ! It was so fun at bedtime listening to them laugh ! They hadnt slept in the same room since they were kids. The rooms were immaculate, smelled great ( I am really fussy with hotel smells) and the beds were great. We could lie on our beds and see (and hear) the bell tower and beautiful hills. The history of this hotel is fabulous ! Clark Gable & one of his sweeties use to stay in this one particular suite all the time.( We are going to book it in Sept). Glenmore has survived some tough times,and has seen ALOT - so some GREAT stories! Be sure and read up on all of it when you are there . KEEP IN MIND....., it has been renovated and remodeled ! The rooms are bright & adorable, and the staff bends over backwards to get whatever you might want.! Great location too. Right in the middle of things, and close to the water. I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE that doesnt mind stairs. If you know Catalina though, only the newer hotels have elevators. (heard they might be putting one in ? ) We CANT WAIT to go back!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Saint Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I would like to remind the readers/travelers that each room/suite at this large victorian independent hotel is unique and the reviews should be written specific to the room that one stayed in. If you are looking for chain corporate-style lodging with matchbox rooms, boring frames prints, and stuffy polyester comforters, this place is NOT for you. This hotel is more suitable those who appreciate the beauty of a charming, well-maintained historic hotel.

The hotel is situated in the heart of the town, and is within a short stroll from the pier. It's large victorian-style building with many windows and made my imagination run wild
as I was climbing the long flights of stairs to my room on 4th floor. From the outside it looks like a big yellow doll house, and from the inside the long hallways and narrow stairs provide great contrast to the bright, airy, and well-appointed room with large bath suite that I was about to stay in.

The room is bright with fun colorful replica artwork, light painted yellow walls, white wicker desk, chair, night stands. There is a lot of natural light coming in the large bathroom as well, with twin pedestal sinks & designer faucets & neat modern medicine cabinets over each sink, very large jacuzzi tub that can fit a mid-weight sumo wrestler. The walls are painted soft neutral color and floor is covered with little white tiles.

The bedding is also outstandingly comfortable, with cotton sham pillows, and comforters are covered with cotton duvet covers. The people working at the front desk are friendly and attentive. It was a perfect stay and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Room 406

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

My family and I stayed the 4th of July 2009 weekend at the Glenmore since our 1st choice hotel was sold out. This hotel looks elegant in the lobby and on brochures, but don't be fooled because the room we stayed in was a DUMP! We paid $350/night (2 night minimum) for a small room that had the following issues: Phone did not work, shower had low water pressure due to the knob being broken, the light fixtures were rusted and/or missing covers, the shower curtain and rod fell on my daughter, the laminated countertop in the bathroom was chipped and could be lifted up, the bedspreads were from the 1970's, the decorative panels on the bathroom door were covered in dirt, the view was of the building next door, the seal in the window was broken, the closet doors did not open wide enough to store your luggage or clothes in, the mirror on the closet door was cracked, the wall next to the table was gouged, the air conditioner smelled moldy, shall I go on? The response from the staff was to give us a duvet and a $60/day discount, but when we checked out, they said that they would only discount us for one day. Unbelievable. They said that the hotel is old, but the brochures say completely renovated. I get that it is an old victorian building, but old and poorly maintained are two seperate things. Avalon is great, but the Glenmore is a LOSER in my book!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

I made reservations over a month before our arrival. I was told I would be in a room with a full jacuzzi , not a whirlpool tub. At the time, I thought it was a great deal because most other hotels were offering whirlppol tubs at well over $200 a night. Upon arrival, I was greatly disappointed. I called to confirm our reservation just a couple of days before and was not told the elevator was out. We happened to be on the fourth floor (lucky us). After lugging our bags up, I was even more disappointed. We had a very small room and it was a whirlpool bathtub not a jacuzzi. When I expressed my concern about not getting what was promised, I was told I could upgrade for $50 more. I asked if it was $50 more for both nights and was told they only booked me for 1 night and would have to switch rooms. WHAT??!!!! I made reservations at least a month ago and followed up on them as well. Then they showed me the "upgrade" room which was definitely larger, however not cleaner. We came to Catalina for a special occasion and unfortunately our stay at the Glenmore did not contruibute to that. I was so disappointed. They ended up giving us another room at the same rate, but did nothing to make up for the inconvenience or the mistake. It was terribke service and not at all what I expected. I shopped around for hotels and I expected more out of this one.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

Me and my fiance wanted a first trip to Catalina. I was disappointed in the island not the hotel. Richard was great, helped us with anything we needed. The room was great..small, but perfect. If you want to stay in one of the true old hotels in Avalon then this is it. Rooms were updated, air worked great, and the ambiance was awesome. We will stay here again if we come back to this island. Not much to do after 2 days, and the locals are mostly illegal aliens of whom whistle at you, and make rude remarks. I am a prior 15 year police officer, and did not feel safe at night on the island. After speaking with the LA County Deputies on the island, I was told not to be out after dark. Hardley paradise..If you must go to Avalon Glenmore is the smartest choice, but I would look at other places to visit.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
torrance, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Glenmore on a psuedo honeymoon (couldn't afford a real one yet...). I read a ton of reviews before we went and proceeded to go with low expectations. But we were broke and didn't really care about "small rooms" or "only one employee working".

We arrived and checked in with no problems. We were on the 4th floor, and got our workout that weekend taking the stairs. The whole place was cute and old and had different paint on the walls of each floor. All of the staff we encountered throughout the weekend were courteous and helpful.

The room was tiny. I will absolutely say that. But it was clean, smelled fine, and had its own fridge. The whole place was quiet, we couldn't hear people in the other rooms. The bed was really comfortable too!

We are simple people. We didnt expect the ritz, we didnt get the ritz. We had a fantastic stay because we didnt expect to be super impressed. I will say that the reviews i read make this place sound WAY worse than it is. Its cute, quaint, and comfy. Simply wonderful.

As a sidenote, the liquor store was just down the street which was a plus for a 20-something couple like ourselves, the bar next door has good music but expensive drinks, the mexican restaurant and the pizzaria are DELICIOUS!! Have fun!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

My boyfriend and I went to Catalina (my first time, his 2nd). The small hotel we reserved a cottage at (and I DO mean SMALL) had no heat, was freezing cold and even though they were very nice there, I felt like I was staying in a shack. The bed was miserable and I was NOT happy. He went a little further down the street and found the Glenmore Plaza Hotel. They gave us a room immediately with a King size bed, a couch, TV, wonderful jacuzzi bathtub and at a really cheap rate too. They saved the day (actually 2 days)!!

I found the wait staff to be helpful, curteous and willing to go the extra mile. Herb was an especially nice fellow who brought us up a nice little fridge and another heater. The owner was great too, and he actually helped us with our baggage and gave us a ride back to the ferry himself on the day we left.

I found this hotel very charming, clean, and whenever we needed anything they brought it up. Loved the colorful lobby and the room. Sure, continental breakfast was donuts, juice and coffee, etc. What did you expect....a full course meal? lol They are just steps away from the beach and all the nice little shops.

They saved us money, time, gave us a great room and were nice as could be. I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone that comes to the island. We'd go back! They made our visit to Catalina SO much more enjoyable. Thanks to you all !!

Sheila & Robert

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Glenmore Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!