“They Saved The Day-Great Service!” 5 of 5 stars

Glenmore Plaza Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   120 Sumner Ave, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Sacramento, CA
“They Saved The Day-Great Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

My boyfriend and I went to Catalina (my first time, his 2nd). The small hotel we reserved a cottage at (and I DO mean SMALL) had no heat, was freezing cold and even though they were very nice there, I felt like I was staying in a shack. The bed was miserable and I was NOT happy. He went a little further down the street and found the Glenmore Plaza Hotel. They gave us a room immediately with a King size bed, a couch, TV, wonderful jacuzzi bathtub and at a really cheap rate too. They saved the day (actually 2 days)!!

I found the wait staff to be helpful, curteous and willing to go the extra mile. Herb was an especially nice fellow who brought us up a nice little fridge and another heater. The owner was great too, and he actually helped us with our baggage and gave us a ride back to the ferry himself on the day we left.

I found this hotel very charming, clean, and whenever we needed anything they brought it up. Loved the colorful lobby and the room. Sure, continental breakfast was donuts, juice and coffee, etc. What did you expect....a full course meal? lol They are just steps away from the beach and all the nice little shops.

They saved us money, time, gave us a great room and were nice as could be. I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone that comes to the island. We'd go back! They made our visit to Catalina SO much more enjoyable. Thanks to you all !!

Sheila & Robert

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Temecula, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2008

We booked our room through Expedia, so we were able to save a few bucks. After reading some of the reviews here, I was prepared for the worse. When we arrived on Thanksgiving day there was a little line for checking in (as everyone gets here at the same time because of the ferry schedule). There was only one person checking people in, but it only took about 10 minutes for us to get our turn.

The check in person was getting a bit flustered telling everyone the same thing over and over again, about how the keys work and not to push the button on your door knob when leaving your room or you will lock yourself out. When it came to my turn she handed me my keys and then told me I was checked in for only one night. I pointed out I was there for two nights and she double checked and found that she was mistaken. Then she told me that she didn't like our room and was going to check to see if she had a better one.

That kind of scared me...she checked, but said that they didn't have anything until the next day. I told her, if she was so worried about our room, then to please check us in to the available room the next day and we would stay in the 'bad' room tonight and move to the better room the next day. We did get help with our luggage, although we didn't even care about that. We were in room 204. It turned out that the room wasn't so bad. It was small, with a queen sized bed, a little table with 2 chairs, and a view toward other windows. The TV was on a wicker cabinet and the bathroom had no counter, but worked OK. It had a small fridge, which if you aren't going to use it, unplug it as it is noisy. Outside our window was this kind of whirling noise, I could not ever figure out what it was but I could hear it all night. I think it might have been an air vent our something from the adjacent building.

Even though the room was OK, my girlfriend and I were curious to get the other room we were promised for the next day. We went down stairs and asked about the room with the same person who checked us in the day before. She had a total turn about from the day before, she was a totally rude and back peddled on everything she said. She said she didn't know what she was thinking and if we wanted another room, it would be an upgrade.... We then watched her get in a fight with the driver about picking up some guests.

The continental breakfast is just doughnuts, juice and coffee. Don't expect much more. None of the floors are even, but I thought that gave the hotel some personality. The fire door at the top of the staircase swings toward the steps, which makes it had to negotiate getting up the stairs.

Other then our hopes of getting another room, that we would not have even cared about had we not gotten offered it getting dashed, this hotel (at least our room) wasn't bad.

• Liked — Location is very convenient.
  • Disliked — Front Desk Clerk was Wishy-Washy and a little rude
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

We went to Avalon to celebrate our 10th anniversary so I wanted everything to be perfect. We arrived on the island at 10 AM and transportation supplied by the hotel arrived within a few minutes. I thought this was a very nice service for them to offer. Just note, they are *not the only hotel on the island to offer this service as someone else stated. The Avalon Hotel has an arrangement with the taxi service on the island and they call and pay for transportation to and from the ferry landing. But I digress...

The van dropped us off in front of the hotel and that it was it. There was no assistance with luggage handling whatsoever. I'd requested early check-in, but our room was not yet ready. They took my cell # and we were told that they would call us as soon as the room was ready. We were told to store our luggage in the back room just beyond the front desk. Again, no assistance was offered or provided. I'm currently dealing with a knee injury so this would have been appreciated.

We took off to get something to eat and explore the area. After a couple of hours I called the hotel and was told that our room was ready. It would have been nice if they'd called like they said they would. We made our way back to the hotel and checked in. I'd requested an Ocean View room. I'd passed on the over-priced two-story tower room, but was very clear about wanting an one of the ocean view rooms they advertise on their web site. We were given room 315.

Again, no one offered to help us with our luggage and there is no elevator available. It was literally a hike to the room. Up a few stairs and then more stairs, through a door that you had to pull open while attempting to hold onto all your luggage and bags, down a narrow, crooked hallway and up more uneven stairs, through another door you had to pull open and then down another long hallway. For cryin' out loud! Our room was in a totally different building from where the front desk is, but it's all connected by the maze of hallways and stairs.

Our room was bright and colorful. An employee was in the room when we arrived. She was mending the bedspread, which I found interesting. There were several windows which offered nice light, but they were old aluminum windows that were difficult to open. (Shouldn't new windows have been part of their renovations??) The patio slider led out to the wooden deck. There was a table and 4 chairs. One chair rocked and reclined... but only one. Why not at least 2 motion chairs so one person wouldn't feel jyped? The screen door was off the track and hanging by a thread. Our "ocean view" was barely that. If we were sitting it was blocked by the overly high balcony railing. It was as though an extra "layer" had been added for safety reasons, but all it ended up doing was blocking the view. Then there was the restaurant roof and its very noisy fans that ran constantly directly in front of us. To the right were High Voltage power lines and poles and to the left was the other building of the hotel. All around were wires, lines and endless fans running. Oh, and the alleyway. Sure enough the next morning was garbage day and we were awakend by the lovely sound of garbage trucks stopping, starting and beeping. Awful!

The bathroom was awful. The woodwork was old and worn and I wouldn't advise turning on the jucuzzi jets. The tub looked to be 30 years old and I was truly afraid of getting electricuted!

I wish the staff at the Glenmore had mentioned that there was no elevator available to their "ocean view" room, or that it was actually a *partial ocean view. Although the room directly faced the ocean I would hardly call what they offer an unobstructed view given all the obsticles in the way! They also should at least offer to deliver your luggage to your room given the distance from the lobby to the rooms. Futher, what they offer for breakfast is a joke. Donuts, coffee and juice are not a "Continental Breakfast". Offering a variety of pastries - instead of dry donuts - and adding some fruit and yogurt would make all the difference. I had part of one donut and then we went out in search of food that we shouldn't have had to do.

The Glenmore's website states that the hotel is Newly Renovated. If they call painting the rooms renovating, then I guess that's true. They have a whole lot more to do to make this hotel the wonderful place they seem to think it is. I've always used caution when a hotel's web site does not have pictures of every room on the site. I called the hotel directly and they assured me they were one of the nicest hotel's on the island. Wrong! The Glenmore is old and in need of serious structural and cosmetic work. Their staff needs to step up and provide basic services like luggage handling and providing a decent breakfast, if that's what they're going to offer/advertise.

We'd planned to spend our last night on the island at another hotel. (Avalon) What a world of difference. We were still on the 3rd floor, but our luggage was taken to our room and all our needs were met. Our room was definitely smaller, but so much nicer and the panoramic view was to die for!

Use caution when booking a room at the Glenmore and don't believe everything you're told by the staff.

• Liked — The ceiling fan directly over the bed, but it could use some different speed options.
  • Disliked — They offer an
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
taxguy007
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Glenmore as a last resort due to our first few choices being sold out. After the first few minutes at the hotel, it was apparent why their were vacant rooms at this establishment! I was hard pressed to find a level floor in the entire building, found that our telephone, sink and jacuzzi (we booked the "jacuzzi suite") where all non-operational, the dresser was missing a couple knobs, the ceiling drooped down, and our view was of a dirty alley. Additionally, their "continental breakfast" consisted of coffee and donuts. NOT recommended!!

• Liked — The company I brought with me
  • Disliked — Pretty much the enitre experience
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

Catalina Island is a special place.

We stayed mid-week. Over the phone, The Hotel Glenmore offered to package the ferry and the room together, so that when we arrived at the ferry terminal at Long Beach, the reservation had already been called in.
The weather was perfect; the Catalina Express ferry was comfortable; the ride was smooth, and took about 1 hour to get to Avalon. The approach to Avalon is so picturesque.
Bonus: Transportation to and from the ferry was provided by the Hotel Glenmore.

I have a hip problem so I was glad to see the hotel lobby on the ground level. There were only a few steps up to our room. If you check out the other hotels in the area, you will notice that you have to walk up long staircases, sometimes to the 3rd floor to check-in.

The room was neat. The beds were comfortable (pillowtop).

Convenient location: The hotel is located on Sumner Street a few steps from where you can buy tour tickets and board the tour buses. And also, it is a several steps to the beach area.

The staff was helpful and friendly.
And, The Hotel Glenmore allowed us to leave our bags while we took a tour on our last morning.

I hope to return some day.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

Nice and quaint place to stay. When I made the reservations over the phone, they were quite helpful in telling me the things to do and see. They actually remembered my name and reservations that I made-how many hotels can do that! Once we landed they sent a shuttle to pick us up. This may not a big deal, but on the Island it is. I believe they are the only ones that have this service. The driver gave us recommendations on places to eat and visit and was very friendly and personable as he gave us a cute little joke.

The rooms are decorated to resemble the island feel and the manager gave us 2 set of keys to choice which room we wanted. Yes the rooms for less may not have a beach view, but we werent there to sit around in the room, we were there for the beach and other adventures.

The service was excellent, the staff was friendly and is officially on my short list of quality places to stay. If you're looking for glitz and glamour, then this isnt the place for you. But if you're into quality service and comfort, then check this place out.

Its about 100 feet from the Ocean and centrally located.

• Liked — felt like home away from home
  • Disliked — didnt have any business or internet areas. Maybe a place to workout would be nice.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

We went to Catalina for an anniversary trip and found a GREAT place to stay. We went on the trip just before the peak season started. The price was very good, the service was oustanding, the folks at the front desk were very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. They gave us a free upgrade to a king sized bed room on the third floor. There is no elevator but they cheerfully helped us up with our luggage. I never saw any pictures or description of the bathroom on their web site so I was very pleasantly surprised to find a jaccuzzi in our room. This is the oldest remaining hotel on the island. It's fun, funky (deep lavender walls, striped roman shade, etc), and comfortable. Besides the tub they had flat screen TVs in the rooms. They brought up a mini-fridge on request. And the location is superb! One block off the beach, one block from the best 18-hole miniature golf course I've ever seen, one block from Lappert's ice cream (yes, the same ice cream I get when I go to Kauai), across the street from an excellent Chinese restaurant, has a very nice art gallery on premises (but perhaps not associated with the hotel), and, well, just close to everything! Didn't see any air conditioners but the overhead fan was perfect for the time of year we went. Would stay there again in a heart-beat and recommend it to anyone! Sorry we didn't take any pix to show you. Gay friendly. Family friendly. Friendly staff, friendly guests.

• Liked — Their attitude, location, and price.
  • Disliked — The stairs, but not a big deal.
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Glenmore Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!