“Gorgeous, recently remodeled room in the center of Avalon” 5 of 5 stars

Glenmore Plaza Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   120 Sumner Ave, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Los Angeles
“Gorgeous, recently remodeled room in the center of Avalon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We recently came over to Avalon for 3 days, 2 nights mid-week and stayed at the Glenmore Plaza Hotel. We got the lovely room #301, with a king-sized bed, nice linens, and an incredible bathroom! The room also had a small fridge and microwave for late-night leftovers, as well as a distant view of the Casino. I'm not sure that all the rooms are remodeled yet but our room was one of the nicer rooms we've ever seen!
The hotel was built in the 1800's so it has a lot of character. There is no elevator but the walk up and down is good exercise. The hotel is in the center of Avalon, near tons of restaurants, the local Vons (both the bigger one and the smaller one) and all the shops. The staff at the hotel were all very nice and accomodating. They picked us up from the ferry even though it is just a short walk. Overall we would highly recommend it. I wish I had pictures to post but we accidently deleted them!

Room Tip: Ask specifically for a remodeled room. Room 301 was gorgeous!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

That being said, I don't understand all the poor ratings! Hotel is nice and owners are great (even after we woke them up by being too loud late night). Great place to stay IF u HAVE to go to Catalina. This island is a pathetic joke! Lockals are an insane mix of stuck up white trash losers. We were actually stopped by robbo loser cop trying to impress a gaggle of horse faced women with his testosterone and "power." he threatened to arrest us for not remembering where our hotel was (we missed the street and had to turn back, and yes we were walking). I had to show the gentelman my reservation confirmation on my phone. Too bad I paid more for my hotel room for the night than that loser makes in a week! When I told him I'd never come back here, loser responded that that was good "because they don't like all the tourists." for the record, tourism pays for this place and for Sargent morons salary. Needless to say, next time I wanna drop $10000 I'll stay at home, or go on a real vacation

• Stayed October 2011
Stevenson Ranch, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I just left the hotel, about 3 hours ago. I have paid about $170.00 a night for the room on the 4 th floor. Totally cool room. modern, fully remodeled, fresh, beautifull. I took some pictures and i will post later.

Lobby does nor represent what the room have offered. Huge room, clean, with comfy sofa, small table with chairs, fridge and microwave.
There was no need for either one. room a/c unter was new and worked perfectly. Breakfeast i did not expect but i got.

I loved the location, the adminstrator by name Jack was awesome. I went to check Metropole, and room just like the one i had at Glenmore, Metropole was charging $ 450.00. The difference was bigger bathroom and small balcony. This hotels are a few feet away, i had all for much less at Glenmore. I will stay again at Glenmore.

Please visit CC Gallager cafe shop. great place.

Room Tip: ask the room 403
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We first stayed here back in 1980 when the finish line for the Catalina Marathon was right in front of the hotel. The ladies gathered in our bay window room on the 2nd floor and cheered us on. Of course, they had a couple glasses of wine by then and we had just run 26 miles through the remote back country and mountains of Catalina Island through herds of buffalo and past wild pigs. Have stay couple of times since and always enjoyable. This trip was 3 days and 2 nights.

After we had checked out there was a 5-hour span (noon to 5pm) until we needed to get to the ferry boat landing. The staff stored our luggage and gave us two beach towels and told us of a small patch of grass right at end of beach, perfect for an afternoon nap. And it was too!!

Hotel situated half-block from the esplanade along the waterfront, the staff were just great and friendly and most helpful. No elevator so the schlep to the 3rd floor this time was an effort. Great king bed in nicely appointed but small room (#314) with artistic prints of the Catalina environment on walls. Nice 36" flat screen. Room 314 may be economical but noise from ice make down in alley below going on and off could be a bit annoying. No view but you are only a short 1/2 block to Avalon Bay.

Convenient to everything, a minimal continental breakfast served in lobby every morning. Overall a good stay.

Room Tip: Front rooms on 2nd and 3rd floors have bay windows providing views out to the harbor and along the s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I don't know where to begin here with my experience! This was a trip planned to celebrate and have a wonderful weekend away without any kids for my boyfriend and I. when we first got to the hotel we were told our room was not ready and could leave a phone number to call and check in once it was ready. Not a big deal, except when we continued to called and kept getting different answers on the avaiablility. finally once our room was ready we were in a hurry to change and get to an evening event we had purchased tickets for. We walk into the room and couldn't believe my eyes!!! Walls had marks and stains, bed type was not what we had booked (we booked a queen bed and got a room with two doubles), the bathroom was so gross the floor was stainded tile with chips and cracks, Towels look like they were just used and terribly worn, not to mention I go and look at the bed linen and there were stains on it! My BF tried to turn the tv on so we could quickly change and it didn't work. I immediatly looked at my BF and said I will not sleep here.

I go down stairs to speak with the front desk and express my concern with a number of the issues in the room and the one that got me in response was, "well we can upgrade you to a suite", I say ok great what are the amenities offered in the suite from the room we are just in. The gal at the front desk serious said nothing other than it has been upgraded!!! Are you kidding me, I was not going to pay an extra $229 over the already over priced $200 a night i just paid for just a cleaner room...so rediculous! I asked why the linen and towles were all stained and was so gross. The response I got was sorry we are trying to get new ones they are clean though just old and couldn't get the stains out.

I asked if there was another option as the Island was sold out and we couldn't get a room else where. We were told another room was being cleaned and we could change in the room we were just in and move to the other room and leave our bags while it was cleaned. So we did just that. We went and enjoyed our evening came back to the hotel around 8pm as I was not feeling well and ordered a pizza and stayed in. I was so grossed out once we got back. The floor had stuff on it, the sheets on one bed had stains (we didn't touch that one), the bathroom had a stained shower curtain, walls in shower were craked and grout was gross, the toilet didn't flush well (there was a plunger next to the toilet so I imagine this was typical for this room), the towels again were stained except one, there was missing a towel rod and a whole in the wall behind the bathroom door! As I type this I am still in such disbeleaf of this condition of the hotel. We paid good money for what should have been expected of a public restroom! I would advise if there are no rooms left on the Island when you travel here to pick another date please don't stay here shuch a waste of money and discusting experience!!!

There was a reason they were the only hotel that had rooms avaiable when we booked! I took a shower the minute I got home and still feel grossed out by the filth that we stayed in.

Room Tip: no tip other than don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

This review is a little overdue but better late than never. My boyfriend and I are from Chicago and traveled to CA in Feb 2012. We decided to take a trip out to Catalina Island for my birthday. From the moment we got off the boat, we were blown away by the service at the Glenmore. Although the hotel is only a few blocks from the port, we were picked up by a free shuttle. The van may have seen better days, but there is a 10+ year waiting list to get a full size car on the island, so can you blame them? The owner, himself, picked us up and gave us a tour of the charming town of Avalon. Upon arriving at the hotel, we began to chat about Chicago since he is from there and Catalina has such a huge Chicago influence (Wrigley's). He recommended many places to go, see and eat within Avalon and beyond. He also upgraded our room to a suite that looked out over the street in front! The room had a whirlpool tub and a wicker sitting area near the front window. The room was very clean & had charm. The rooms/hotel is not new, so do not go in there thinking that it is going to be modern. What can you expect from the oldest hotel on Catalina? Such nice people there. The staff couldn't be better! If you want to be taken care of, from the shuttle to the breakfast, stay at this charming old hotel and really experience Catalina the way it was originally intended.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

From the pick up at the boat to checking out, we had the best service! Quite hotel and comfy beds. Clean, but not new. The staff was fantastic! Made us feel very at home. Overall experience was great and I would stay again and recommend this to anyone looking for a perfect location in Avalon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Glenmore Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!