“Great Mexican Food!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 47 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Overlooking Avalon Bay and Crescent Avenue on Santa Catalina Island, Maggie's Blue Rose features authentic Mexican cuisine paired with an extensive margarita selection and wine menu.
San Diego
“Great Mexican Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I visited several restaurants while visiting Catalina, and Maggie's was fantastic. we sat on the patio over looking Crecent Ave and the beach. The food and staff were great. It's a little on the pricey side, but it was worth the money. If you get a chance to eat there, I would recommend it.

Visited June 2014
Steve B, Owner at Maggie's Blue Rose, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your dining experience at Maggie's on TripAdvisor. I am so glad to read that you enjoyed our food and service and think we are fantastic! I would also like to thank you for your recommending Maggie's and hope you will dine with us again on your next trip to the island!

With warm regards from Catalina,

Margaret and Steve Bray, owners and our family at Maggie's Blue Rose

“Great chips and margaritas!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I had a cucumber jalapeño margarita that was delicious! My husband had a regular margarita. He said it was very good. The chips were fresh and hot! I like that! We had street tacos ( the chicken Verde) they were great! It's a great atmosphere. They have good service as well. We would go back!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at Maggie's on TripAdvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed our cucumber jalapeño margarita. Everyone seems to love it and it is quickly becoming a signature drink at Maggie's! I am also happy that you enjoyed everything from our street tacos to service and decor as well as our homemade chips. I really appreciate your praise and look forward to serving you some more hot chips and margaritas on your next trip to the island!

With warm regards from Catalina,

Avalon
“Magnificent Margaritas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I had the Crescent Ave. trio plate and it was delicious!! I went with the chicken verde taco and enchilada and was not disappointed. That with a Pink Cadillac Margarita and I was a happy girl!! The homemade tortillas are great, and the salsa is yummy. Mallory was our server, she smiled the whole time. It is a beautiful place, take a moment to look at all of the different lighting fixtures, the local art, the old Catalina photos, it's just a delight. They will definitely go on my recommendation list!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about Maggie's on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased to read you were not disappointed with our Crescent Ave. Trio and and enjoyed our homemade tortillas and your Pink Cadillac! I really appreciate that you think Maggie's is a beautiful place as I put a lot of thought into creating something completely different to Avalon and had fun doing it! I will be sure to share your review with Mallory. She will get a big smile when she reads your comment. Again, thank you for your wonderful praise and for including us on your recommendation list. We look forward to your next visit and hope you visit the island again soon.

With warm regards from Maggie's,

Avalon, California
“Exquisite Fare & Ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Maggie's Blue Rose doesn't just provide a great meal and festive decor, but rather an entire experience! From the intricate lighting (that look like public art displays), gorgeous eucalyptus bar and delicious fare, you are sure to have an enjoyable evening. Mariachis perform songs upon request on weekends. Make a reservation to get a patio seat to enjoy front street, people watching, harbor views and the historic Casino Building.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your experience at Maggie's Blue Rose and shared it on TripAdvisor. I also truly appreciate your details regarding our decor especially referring to the lighting as art! And yes, being in the heart of Avalon on front street, the patio is an ideal spot to kick back, enjoy a cool drink and people watch. One thing I wanted to clarify in your review, as I don't want guests to be disappointed, is the Mariachis come to the island every weekend and stroll through town. We hired them to be at Maggie's on our 1st grand opening weekend, however, as mentioned, they stroll throughout Avalon but seem to favor playing outside of Maggie's. I mention this as I don't want guests thinking they are at the restaurant as a permanent thing, but am glad you mentioned it as we enjoy it as much as you. Again, I really appreciate your review and hope you dine with us again.

Margaret Bray, Owner, Maggie's Blue Rose
Cahersiveen, Ireland
“Raw Pork”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Sampled the pork etc at Avalon tasting, it was excellent.
Dinner. Excellent service and very patient waiter, friends joined us and we moved to a larger table, no problem.
Good marks first, really good starter and good enchiladas with lobster.
But.......
You do not serve pork raw or nearly medium rare and it was. It's in my opinion a cardinal sin....google it if you don't believe me. Came back ( 2 dinners) over cooked and burnt. Ok they didn't charge for it, but our evening out was ruined.
In fairness reports are very good generally about the food and I hope this was a once off. But raw pork isn't on and our friends who are locals were shocked. Chef.....it's pork....cook it right.

Visited June 2014
Steve B, Owner at Maggie's Blue Rose, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

As a longtime visitor to Catalina, we truly value you as a guest to our island community and are so pleased that you thought our pork sampled at the 10th Annual Taste Around of Avalon held May 29th, for which Maggie's Blue Rose placed first in “Best Taste of Food”, was excellent. However, in regard to your comments concerning "Raw Pork" if I recall your concern was that the meat was pink, therefore not cooked.

Perhaps you are not aware that in May 2011 new guidelines were released by the USDA that recommended pork be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees from the longtime standard of 160. According to the official USDA website it states under the "Food Safety Education" for pork: Can Safely Cooked Pork Be Pink? "Cooked muscle meats can be pink even when the meat has reached a safe internal temperature. If fresh pork has reached 145 °F throughout, even though it may still be pink in the center, it should be safe. The pink color can be due to the cooking method or added ingredients."  And, according to an article published in the New York Times May 24, 2011; "The new recommendation is in line with what many cookbook authors and chefs have been saying for years."

I understand that for some palettes "pink" may not be appetizing, however, the pork you sampled during the Taste Around of Avalon was cooked exactly the same as your pork dinner at the correct temperature of 145. Please know that I am truly sorry to read in your review that your evening was ruined because of this, but as you know I did everything I could to rectify the issue at the time and I hope you will accept my sincerest apology.

Margaret Bray, Owner, Maggie's Blue Rose