“great place to stay!! friendly staff!! and very clean!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Terado Terrace

You added El Terado Terrace to your Saves list
El Terado Terrace
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 Marilla Ave, PO Box 1295, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
ohio
“great place to stay!! friendly staff!! and very clean!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We came to Catalina for our friends wedding / our vacation. we stayed at El terado for four nights. it was very resonably priced and looked very updated from the pictures on the internet i found on their website. when we arrived we couldnt beleive how nice it was and the staff were so friendly and helped us with any questions we had about the island. The flat screen tv in the rooms ( my boyfriend liked) and the decorating was beautiful. There was also a grill on the patio out front that we were allowed to use to cook out which was great! we felt like we where at home. we definatly agreed that if we would ever come back to the island we would definatly stay there again..also el terado is very close to the beach and the shops you didnt have to worry about grabbing a shuttle! that was very nice and saved lots of money and it let you do whatever you wanted without a shuttle schedule to worry about...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
theadora1
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

I revisited this summer with my grandkids after experiencing such lovely accomodations last year....We even reserved the same room as last year and now it has been completely remodeled. The rooms are so bright and clean- great ocean view of Avalon Harbor. The staff is very accomodating and friendly.....we wanted for nothing short of more time on the island....Ivan and his staff surely go to every measure to take care of our needs..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

The El Terado Terrace Mini Suites was perfect for our stay in Avalon. In addition to being nestled in a quiet and private setting, the suite was clean, cozy, and the king size bed was super comfortable with quality linens. Thanks to Ivan and the staff of El Terado Terrace for a wonderful stay!
Until next time - Linda

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

El Terado Terrace is a great value in comparison to other properties on Catalina. Ivan, the manager, is second to none and very accomodating. I made the mistake of booking the only room in the property without a kitchen (101) and he quickly moved us to an available townhouse. He charged us an extremely reasonable rate for the new accomodations. We were traveling with 2 teenagers, so the townhouse was a great alternative for us. My only complaint was the upstairs rooms did not have air conditioning but was not horrible with 76 during the day and 64 at night (mostly stuffy). I would highly recommend El Terado Terrace to anyone who is looking for no frills, inexpensive accomodation on Catalina. Afterall, you are there for the island!

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

Wonderful place. Lovely, clean and airy room, even had an ocean view (although some less-than-scenic historic roofs do intrude on the view) and two beds for two traveling BFFs for less money than hotels with smaller rooms on a courtyard with only one bed and a promised cot. El Terado was Catalina-reasonable. No complaints at all. Other guests barbecued on the grill the hotel has available and ate out on the deck.

El Terado is up the hill, removed from the general hubbub of Crescent Avenue. This is great for quiet (it's located in a residential neighborhood) but tough on me. After some surgery, I have a hip that does nothing but hurt all the time. I had searched Avalon listings and it seemed that everyone had rooms on upper floors. I can walk up and down stairs but it requires a lot of energy. I didn't even think to ask El Terado when I reserved the room since most said, "All rooms on second and third floor, no elevators." To my surprise (and my hip's ultimate delight), I found there were only three small steps down from the street to El Terado's front deck. We just turned a corner on the ocean side to our room. No stairs encountered.

The room was a good size; it would be roomy enough for a wheelchair user but there are caveats so in disability ratings, I would only recommend the room for a person in a chair who can stand and take a few steps. The door to the bathroom is narrow and the shower is a step-in. No grab bars but (without a tape measure for me to say for sure) I think the bathroom would accommodate a chair so one could stand and turn to use the commode. Also, not using a chair myself, it's hard to tell if the walkway to the rooms is wide enough. It probably is but if you have a question about it, call El Terado and ask for Ivan..

Talk about terrific. We had asked how to get downtown and Ivan said everything was in walking distance... I told him he didn't know my hip. He told us to call him when we needed a lift. I didn't want to bother him, but when we needed a lift down the hill, he popped out and ran us down in his golf cart. It's sometimes embarrassing to have to ask for help for the small stuff but Ivan made it easy. He quickly brought in an iron and ironing board when it was requested. He had ideas about things to do and he was just a nice guy and a good conversationalist. We even saw him with his young family on the deck... just a nice, warm atmosphere at the hotel.

The place is fairly nondescript from the street. You might drive right by and be unimpressed. You might walk in as we did and be wowed.

Between the quiet, out-of-the-tourist-path locale, the sunny birdsong-filled mornings, a view of the bay (but those roofs DO spoil it somewhat), the clean and lovely room itself and THEN the warmth and help offered by Ivan made the place perfect. The next time I go to Catalina, I will not be searching for a place to stay. I already know where I'll unpack my suitcase-- at the El Terado.

• Stayed July 2009
SoCal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

First of all let me just say that the staff is OUTSTANDING! They are easy going, considerate and helpful. The owners have boundless energy and enthusiasm for making El Terado a family, vacationer and couples (wanting to get away) destination. There is a lot of privacy on the island view side, harbor views and quiet on the other side. El Terado is just a slight hill, walking distance from all the action of Avalon. I have 1 and 1/2 lungs, I was born with asthma and am overweight and the walk up the little hill was pretty invigorating, especially with the clean air and cool weather. We have been staying at the hotel for over a decade because of the kitchen and quiet, away from where crowds of Avalon abound. I felt safe there with my little seven year old who was a toddler when the new owners (related to the original owner) took over. The improvements in the rooms, staff and perks have made us life long El Terado vacationers. It’s like being in a private apartment where fun is endless. We go every chance we get. My daughter cried this July when we had to leave.

california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

We had a great stay at the El Terado Terrace this summer. We have been coming to this hotel for several years now. The newly renovated rooms are fantastic. The air conditioning was much needed and appreciated. We plan to stay there every summer, now that the rooms are so great. Ivan the manager is courteous, kind and helpful. His staff is efficient and friendly.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to El Terado Terrace? Share your experiences!