“All the charm of a third world country.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of El Terado Terrace

You added El Terado Terrace to your Saves list
El Terado Terrace
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 Marilla Ave, PO Box 1295, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Avalon
Okinawa, Japan
“All the charm of a third world country.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband booked this hotel based on the excellent reviews on trip advisor, that was a mistake. When we arrived the hotel manager wasn't there to check us in because he was driving around on a golf cart. The room seemed cleaned enough however the huge dead roach right outside the area where you check in made me question the cleanliness. The walls are paper thin and we could hear everything going on in the room next to us. The shower was terrible, specifically the shower head with no water pressure. The surrounding areas were hideous, to the left there was some delapidated building with a hole in the roof, if you are looking for aesthetically pleasing scenery, look elsewhere. If you are on a very tight budget and not scared of roaches or would like to get a feel for what a third world country neighborhood would be like, then stay here.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I debated over whether to give this hotel 3 or 4 stars, but ultimately decided that 3 stars isn't a bad rating.

What's good: Staff was nice and got us in our room early. We had room 118 which was a bit secluded and a decent size with a mini fridge and microwave. Off the beaten path a bit so it was quiet at night. Even the walk to the hotel wasn't bad. Yes, the hill is steep but it really wasn't that bad (never did use the taxi service). It's an older property and they have done their best to keep it maintained. The price is fair for what you get.

What's not so good: The walls are a bit thin. I could hear our neighbor snoring and the shower/tub took forever to drain (yuk). It's an older property with no lobby to sit in to relax and/or wait.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face inland (no ocean view), however, the Catalina Hotel's big sign blocks p...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
sstclair812
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We arrived about 6:30pm on Friday before the November triathlon to find our room key in an envelope with our name on it on the ledge outside the reception window. Honor system worked. Didn't see anyone who worked there until checkout time on Sunday, but had no reason to look for anyone either. Asked our neighbor about the wifi password, which provided free Internet all over town. We had front corner room 106, which was convenient, close, and large, but at times noisy with people walking by and talking, and was bright at night from blazing patio lights streaming in the Edges of the curtains and door; only problems in this particular room, though. Also, weather was great but we had to keep the thick curtains closed so other hotel guests passing by didn't have the unavoidable look in at us. Room was spacious, bed comfy, and kitchen was equipped and clean. Bathroom was okay with a newer vanity but dated shower with crusty, moldy shower head. Middle-of-room placement left for poor ventilation and the fan sounded like it could've run an outboard motor down in the bay but was not very effective. Quiet location about 100 yards uphill on the far side of the bay from the ferry. We found the walk from the ferry landing with backpack of triathlon equipment and bike perfectly fine. There is free taxi service upon arrival and paid bag service upon departure.

Room Tip: 106 is front and center. Easy access and great peekaboo view of the bay, but gets some hotel foottr...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was very excited about this hotel. Very pleased when I first arrived, happy they offered taxi service. Spacious room, new sheets prettier than the photos advertised. Close to the Yatch club. BUt very dissapointed with the service. In their description of the rooms said Full Size New Granite Kitchens. Well no kitchen at all in mine. I wasnt bothered by that. It wasn't what I expected, or what was advertised, but I thought whatever its fine I'll just have them bring me a mircowave. I was going to a wedding. And i have a three month old that my friend was watching so all we needed was a mircowave to heat up his bottles and some of her food from earlier. Well their was no one in the front desk while i was getting ready, so i fed the baby and took off to the wedding. there was a coffee warmer that we thought we would try. Well it doesnt ever get hot enough to warm the milk, so my friend calls me two hours later and I run up from the wedding. Still no one at the front desk. I call asking for a microwave, they say oh thats strange there isnt one in there..mm no, there isnt will you please bring us one. Well we dont have anymore. Which makes me very upset. I booked the room for the kitchen, so I could keep the bottles cold in the fridge and warm them on the stove or microwave. So they offer to bring warm water to the hotel, that they heat from home. Which is fine. As long as my baby eats, thats fine. At least they were making the effort to provide good customer service. My baby is sleeping by the time she arrives cause I had breast fed him in the time waiting. He had been screaming with my friend for at least 30 minutes trying to warm the water. I luckily had only had one drink in that time so i was able to breast feed him otherwise he would have been suffering the extra 15 minutes it took her. Well so she brings it. Then at 430 after I get back from the wedding the baby needs to eat again. So i call off the red phone again and they answer very upset that i am calling. As if it was in my wishes to disturb them. They said they would bring me warm water. If I had a mircowave i would have heated it on my own. Who else was I supposed to call? So upset she comes to my door. "You know you have a coffee machine, I breast fed my kids too you know." Gives me all kinds of attitude like I hadnt tried everything already. I was so mad. Of course I didnt call her the next morning, I left at 730 with my friend so I could run to my parents hotel room to get hot water. I would have liked to have slept in and actually enjoyed my hotel. It was the first time I was able to have a vacation since I had my son and paid enough that I think my friend and i should have been able to enjoy it and not feel guilty or upset. Service is everything in the hotel industry, if i had good service I would have paid 135 bucks and left happy even if carpet was peeling. I just hate being disrespected and pretty much lied to in a place where I am paying good money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a nice hotel. Good value for your money. Its up a ways from the main street. Not so far up that its a terrible walk, but up enough to hide out and relax. There is an outside deck with a grill. We roasted marshmellows over it for smores. The room had a kitchen with nice sized fridge. Nice for staying a few days and having food in room for kids. Good stay overall.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Elk Grove, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were disappointed on our visit. We were not greeted by anyone when we arrived and had to make two phone calls to get someone to give us the key. The room was as shown on the internet however the ceiling fan did not work and the cupboards squeeked loudly when opened.
The coffee pot was so small we just barely got two cups.
Before our arrival, I had sent two emails asking for a call so that we might increase our stay by one day. I never recieved any response! We will not come back

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a nice hotel for the money. Our room had a dining area and kitchen but we were only there one night so we didn't really have to use it. The hotel is relatively close to the main drag but you have to walk up a fairly steep hill to get there. Overall this hotel was a good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple