“Very happy with our stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Mariquita Hotel

Save Saved
You added Casa Mariquita Hotel to your Saves list
Casa Mariquita Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   229 Metropole Ave, PO Box 1021, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #10 of 20 hotels in Avalon
Carlsbad, California
“Very happy with our stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

This was the first visit to Catalina for my wife and I. I spent a lot of time selecting the hotel, but since I knew no one to give me recommendations, I relied on internet reviews. While I was aware of a few not very high reviews, I was taken by how many high reviews were written. The price was a big factor, and the 10% internet discount was a deciding factor. I liked that it was off the main road because I appreciate quiet.
We stayed in a courtyard room with King bed. The headboard and footboard were so striking. The room was clean, well-appointed and equipped with a frig and coffee maker. And oh the water pressure. I don't have that much water pressure at home. Great for a nice hot shower after walking up and down all the hills Catalina has.
The staff were friendly and informative. In fact, I can't say enough about them. They went out of their way to be helpful and welcoming. I was able to find out some of what to expect on the zip line tour, which was our main purpose for being in Catalina. Words cannot express the warm, loving feeling my wife and I received from all our interactions with staff.
Great job!!!

Room Tip: No elevator, but next time I think we will try a third floor room anyway.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren L, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Mariquita Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review! It means everything to us to know that your stay was enjoyable, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Second time to stay at this hotel. We just keep coming back. Fantastic service, comfortable and clean rooms, classic interior design, beautiful landscaping and much more. As a seasoned traveler of Catalina, this place is a great choice if you are looking for a nicer and more quiet stay. Great value with almost everything you need. Close to shopping, restaurants, waterfront and many popular activities, such as water sports, tours, or night life…

I highly recommend this hotel. It’s especially worth mentioning that the staff was amazing, extremely friendly and always willing help with any questions or concerns. Overall and absolutely excellent experience.

Room Tip: Book the rooms with ocean view or partial ocean view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lauren L, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Mariquita Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We always love having you stay with us and look forward to your next visit!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The Casa Mariquita is a charming hotel that perfectly compliments Avalon's laid back lifestyle. The rooms are large by Avalon standards, and the staff are all cheerful and friendly. We have attended the annual October jazz festival for more than a dozen consecutive years and spent a week on Catalina each time, as have several of our friends, so we are familiar with most of Avalon's hotel accommodations. Casa Mariquita is definitely a cut above the majority of them. We've just finished our third stay at the Maraquita and have already reserved our room for next year, if that tells you anything.

Catalina in general and Avalon in particular are all about escaping the big city rat race and taking a step back in time to a simpler era. In that sense, Avalon is much like many small Mediterranean seaport towns - casual and easy-going. Most of Avalon's hotels have only 20 rooms or less. Expect something more along the lines of a small inn or bed-and-breakfast atmosphere. I think some people who visit Avalon are expecting the French Riviera or Acapulco. Those people are invariably disappointed, regardless of where they stay. You won't find a 400-room spa/resort on the island, because that's not what it's all about. Yes, you can get a fancier, although smaller, room at a couple of the newest hotels around town, but you'll pay more than twice as much to stay there.

For us, the Casa Mariquita has been just right - a great place to stay that's not so expensive as to break the bank. It's centrally located, so it's within walking distance to everything in town, including the Casino. The Mariquita is also one of the few hotels where we have felt comfortable leaving our valuables out whenever we leave the room.

Two thumbs up.

Room Tip: If this is your first trip to Avalon, ask for an upper room with a balcony. The hotel has a couple o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren L, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Mariquita Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review! We greatly enjoy our repeat guests, and look forward to having you stay with us again next year! See you soon!
Redondo Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My sister and I booked a room at the Casa Marquita because it was the only hotel that did not have a 2 or 3 night minimum on a weekend. The only room available was a downstairs room that we were told was noisy because of the close access to the street. However, that was not the problem. The room was clearly in need of a some renovation including new drapes and bedspreads. There were holes in the walls that were covered with paint, light bulbs that needed to be replaced on the wall fan and a lamp that wasn't functioning properly. Also, the towels in the bathrooms were thin and needed replacing. The Continental breakfast was just some juice and muffins and there wasn't much of it. Also, the bathroom off the lobby looked more like a storage closet than a hotel bathroom. I would not have cared so much but the cost was $229 a night and it definitely wasn't worth it. Although the staff was nice and helpful, I would definitely not waste my money here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
We are so sorry to hear that you had an issue with your room. As soon as we read your review, we took immediate steps to remedy the problems. We do hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in Avalon.
Machu Picchu, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed at the Casa Mariquita Hotel. It was great. The staff was very accomodating and gave me lots of advice on where to eat, and even helped me book a ziplining tour. (so fun) The room was spacious and the beds were nice. I did have a courtyard room so no view, but It was nice and quiet and comfortable. We stayed midweek and the price was comparable with the other hotels that I called. We had a nice relaxing trip and Id definitly come back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren L, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Mariquita Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We're so glad you enjoyed the zip-line tour! It is one of Avalon's most popular attractions and we are always happy to recommend tours our guests may enjoy! Please come stay with us again soon!
La Jolla, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was in Avalon on business for three weeks, which sounds like a long time, although it passed very quickly because the island was so fascinating. I also didn't want to leave Avalon because I'd fallen in love with this hotel, my home away from home for those three weeks.

First off, the hotel is located near the center of Avalon, fifteen minutes away from the ferry dock, two blocks away from the seafront and roughly two hundred feet away from the town's VONS Supermarket. It is located on a bit of an incline, so the walk can be tough for those who have to carry bags or who have difficulty walking. Nevertheless, it is a very convenient place to stay because it is so close to the in-town attractions, namely the beach, the Casino, and the one-of-a-kind restaurants.

During my stay at the Casa Mariquita, I had the opportunity to stay in a number of the hotel's reasonably-priced rooms whenever my room was booked by another party, and each room was a delight to stay in. I particularly loved the beds and the sinks; the beds were sturdy but very comfortable, while the sinks were beautifully crafted. The two patios that the hotel offers for its guests offer gorgeous views, one of the ocean and the other of the mountains around Avalon and Metropole Avenue.

However, it was the staff who made the Casa Mariquita truly feel like a home away from home. The two maids were always cheerful, and the night manager and his wife were a joy to talk to. The front desk staff, as well as the hotel owner, were especially amazing; they offered recommendations on tours I should take in my spare time and places to eat, and they never failed to greet me by name whenever I passed by them. They would ask me how I enjoyed eating at such-and-such restaurant, or what I thought of the ziplining or other eco-tour that I'd taken, and I can say for a fact that everyone I met at the Casa Mariquita Hotel made my stay in Avalon the best that it could be.

And so, anyone who is looking for a beautiful place to visit, be it for a weekend getaway or a honeymoon or anniversary, should consider Catalina Island. Avalon is the place to be, and Casa Mariquita is the place to stay.

Room Tip: The hotel does not have an elevator, so be prepared to walk up some stairs. That being said, rooms o...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your great review! We enjoyed having you stay with us, and look forward to future visits when you are in town!
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having stayed at the Casa Mariquita many times over the years, I was practically coming home when I needed to book a room at the last minute for just one night. Since I last stayed here, they have remodeled all of the rooms, so they are very nicely appointed. None of that cheap, junky hotel furniture like other hotels. Evelyn got me into a room right away, and made sure I had everything I needed. I enjoyed the rooftop terrace both in the evening, and in the morning while having my coffee. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. I had a courtyard room, and had no issues with noise, something I am very sensitive to. Staff let me know that it is quieter on the 3rd floor, but the second floor was fine for me. The bed was heaven, like sleeping on a cloud! Finally, they have complimentary continental breakfast in the morning, coffee juice, muffins and stuff...perfect for me. I'll keep coming back, always!

Room Tip: 3rd floor is super quiet, no one above you.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lauren L, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Mariquita Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for the great review! Please come back and see us again!

Been to Casa Mariquita Hotel? Share your experiences!