“Great staff, Great room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Mariquita Hotel

Save Saved
You added Casa Mariquita Hotel to your Saves list
Casa Mariquita Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   229 Metropole Ave, PO Box 1021, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #10 of 19 hotels in Avalon
Machu Picchu, Peru
“Great staff, Great room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed at the Casa Mariquita Hotel. It was great. The staff was very accomodating and gave me lots of advice on where to eat, and even helped me book a ziplining tour. (so fun) The room was spacious and the beds were nice. I did have a courtyard room so no view, but It was nice and quiet and comfortable. We stayed midweek and the price was comparable with the other hotels that I called. We had a nice relaxing trip and Id definitly come back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren L, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Mariquita Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We're so glad you enjoyed the zip-line tour! It is one of Avalon's most popular attractions and we are always happy to recommend tours our guests may enjoy! Please come stay with us again soon!

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
La Jolla, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was in Avalon on business for three weeks, which sounds like a long time, although it passed very quickly because the island was so fascinating. I also didn't want to leave Avalon because I'd fallen in love with this hotel, my home away from home for those three weeks.

First off, the hotel is located near the center of Avalon, fifteen minutes away from the ferry dock, two blocks away from the seafront and roughly two hundred feet away from the town's VONS Supermarket. It is located on a bit of an incline, so the walk can be tough for those who have to carry bags or who have difficulty walking. Nevertheless, it is a very convenient place to stay because it is so close to the in-town attractions, namely the beach, the Casino, and the one-of-a-kind restaurants.

During my stay at the Casa Mariquita, I had the opportunity to stay in a number of the hotel's reasonably-priced rooms whenever my room was booked by another party, and each room was a delight to stay in. I particularly loved the beds and the sinks; the beds were sturdy but very comfortable, while the sinks were beautifully crafted. The two patios that the hotel offers for its guests offer gorgeous views, one of the ocean and the other of the mountains around Avalon and Metropole Avenue.

However, it was the staff who made the Casa Mariquita truly feel like a home away from home. The two maids were always cheerful, and the night manager and his wife were a joy to talk to. The front desk staff, as well as the hotel owner, were especially amazing; they offered recommendations on tours I should take in my spare time and places to eat, and they never failed to greet me by name whenever I passed by them. They would ask me how I enjoyed eating at such-and-such restaurant, or what I thought of the ziplining or other eco-tour that I'd taken, and I can say for a fact that everyone I met at the Casa Mariquita Hotel made my stay in Avalon the best that it could be.

And so, anyone who is looking for a beautiful place to visit, be it for a weekend getaway or a honeymoon or anniversary, should consider Catalina Island. Avalon is the place to be, and Casa Mariquita is the place to stay.

Room Tip: The hotel does not have an elevator, so be prepared to walk up some stairs. That being said, rooms o...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your great review! We enjoyed having you stay with us, and look forward to future visits when you are in town!
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having stayed at the Casa Mariquita many times over the years, I was practically coming home when I needed to book a room at the last minute for just one night. Since I last stayed here, they have remodeled all of the rooms, so they are very nicely appointed. None of that cheap, junky hotel furniture like other hotels. Evelyn got me into a room right away, and made sure I had everything I needed. I enjoyed the rooftop terrace both in the evening, and in the morning while having my coffee. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. I had a courtyard room, and had no issues with noise, something I am very sensitive to. Staff let me know that it is quieter on the 3rd floor, but the second floor was fine for me. The bed was heaven, like sleeping on a cloud! Finally, they have complimentary continental breakfast in the morning, coffee juice, muffins and stuff...perfect for me. I'll keep coming back, always!

Room Tip: 3rd floor is super quiet, no one above you.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lauren L, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Mariquita Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for the great review! Please come back and see us again!
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend during the summer season with a couple of friends and did not regret a single penny spent (and this is coming from an LA college student living on somewhat of a tight budget)! One of the main reasons I had never visited Catalina Island earlier was because I had always believed that such a trip would be well outside of my price range. I couldn't have been more wrong! Catalina Island offers an experience incomparable to anything else in the immediate area, almost to the point where price is nearly no longer of any concern to me. We had the chance to do dolphin watching, ziplining, and scuba diving all in just 2 days! The rest of the time was spent enjoying the delectable food offered by the various cuisines around Avalon and simply relaxing at the hotel.

The Casa Mariquita is not like any hotel I had ever stayed at; unlike most places, it seems to pride itself most on its unique interior design and homeliness afforded by its small size and quiet location. The hotel is modeled in a distinctive Spanish style complete with patios and open walkways that give a refreshing, wide-open feel throughout. You won't even need to leave the hotel to experience the beautiful weather that Catalina Island offers. The rooms themselves are reminiscent of something more familiar, so much so that it felt like a home away from home after just a two night stay. Another contributing factor is the friendly staff - they are extremely helpful with booking tours and recommending restaurants and such. Their joviality and simple willingness to strike up a casual conversation did so much to make us feel more at home. Thank you Mark, Lauren, Tiffany, and housekeeping! All in all, the Casa Mariquita Hotel offers an authentic atmosphere perfectly fitting for a trip to L.A.'s own mini Costa Del Sol.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the great review! Repeat guests are our greatest compliment!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel really tries to remember my name and make me feel special. They have a lot of information ready of all the best things to see and do and all the special discounts and deals on the island. I never felt more welcomed to stay at a hotel. The style is very nice for couples, the patio on the 3rd floor is beautiful to see the ocean and is open to everyone to relax. Also it is close to everything, but on a quieter road than by all the restaurants. I love Lauren the manager and this hotel!

Stayed October 2013
Thank you for the great review! We enjoyed having you stay with us!
Pasadena, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I'm surprised that this hotel has such a great rating, my experience was not as great. We had to change hotels on our 3rd day on the island because rooms were not available on Friday at our previous hotel. I booked a room at this hotel, because it was nearby and seemed to be pleasant enough for our last day. It is located right next to an empty dirt lot and is on the golf cart route. When you walk up the street to the hotel from the main drag you see a huge yellow wall, no windows or balconies on this side of the hotel, the side closest to the ocean. Our room was advertised as a partial ocean view room, it also had a view of another wall and down to a smoking patio. The patio had no view of the ocean at all just a high wall that should have been lower. Our room was small and dark, with paper cups and little baskets with hotel amenities. We luggage was stored during the day in a small dark closet because our room was not ready when we arrived, understandably since we got there around 11am. This hotel has no elevators, but plenty of stairs, if you are on the 3rd level it can be quite a hike with suitcases. They have a card request to conserve water which is fine, however the fancy granite sink they put in has knobs that are difficult to turn off if your hands are soapy or even wet. If you are going to stay here, book a room on the highest floor, with a window facing the ocean, there are a few, if you can handle the stairs.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We are very sorry that your experience was not outstanding. We are taking your concerns under consideration and we appreciate the feedback. We do hope that you will consider staying with us again!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at Casa Mariquita for two nights September 5 and 6, 2013 and was very impressed with the combination of great rooms, wonderful and friendly service, reasonable price, and terrific location. The new owner was on-site and very active in the day-to-day functioning of the hotel. The front desk staff was helpful and fun. The room was very quiet (we were on a lower level and had no noise at all from the rooms above) and clean (a new tile floor had been installed everywhere). I enthusiastically recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: our room itself did not have a view, but the two sunny decks provided plenty of private sun and view...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren L, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Mariquita Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for the great review, and we want you to know that we so enjoyed having you stay with us!

Been to Casa Mariquita Hotel? Share your experiences!