“I LOVE THE STUMBLE ROOM!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalina Lodge

Catalina Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Catalina Lodge
Save Saved
You added Catalina Lodge to your Saves list
235 Sumner Avenue, at Beacon St., Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Pasadena, California
“I LOVE THE STUMBLE ROOM!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for 2 to 3 years every 1st weekend in May when the Old Boy Rugby Festival is going on. The Catalina Lodge has easy access right to the main boardwalk, very friendly and helpful management/owners, and they have upgraded many things within the rooms. New beds, rooms generally have tv, mini fridge and microwave. Clean bathrooms with good hot water and water pressure. I always get the stumble room, aka # 6, for it is right behind the office and right next to the sidewalk. After a night a bar hopping with my fellow rugger teammates, this is an excellent choice versus climbing stairs or navigating through a hotel to get to your room. I know I'm probably forgetting other ammenities offered but the point is I REALLY like this place and will continue to stay at the Catalina Lodge for years to come.

Room Tip: See my review regarding the stumble room...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Clean and comfortable and in the middle of everything. Looks a bit like a motel but in a charming way. The owners are personable and helpful. It's a great choice for those who want to to stay on Catalina without paying silly prices for accommodation. I really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed October 2012
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was recently on Catalina for the Jazztrax Festival and happened upon this lodge on TripAdvisor. The reviews are spot-on. This is a very clean, comfy basic mom-and-pop hotel with friendly owners who will go out of their way to serve. The rooms are small, but neat, with efficient use of the space and comfortable beds. Catalina is really a place to go to be outdoors, so I doubt you will spend much time in the room except showering and sleeping. The beds are mostly queens (I think they have a few doubles in the front, street-side rooms.) All rooms have a dorm-size refrigerator and a microwave and the grocery store is a block away so you can grab something for breakfast and lunch to save some money. The owners did point us to a few of their favorites and these had, by far, the best food we ate on the island. Be forewarned, this is not a gourmet dining destination, but the scenery makes up for that. :) The bathroom was very clean and bright, although counterspace to set anything down was lacking. I travel a lot in Europe so I am prepared with my hanging bathroom bag, but the hubby did state that he needed someplace to set the contact case in the AM. Since we paid 1/2 the price here of any other lodge price I was quoted in town, I didn't mind a little inconvenience. They furnish blow dryers, shampoo and soap. There is an iron and ironing board in the office that you can borrow if needed, as well as beach towels and beach chairs. The water pressure is great with plenty of hot water. The towels are nice and thick and smell freshly bleached (I'm a nurse, and this is important to me. :) Good, hot, strong coffee is served in the office every morning. The owners are very nice and a fount of information on things to do. There is no A/C here, but with the fan on and the window open, it was more than cool at night. They do have heat, if desired. The flat screen TV worked well for entertaining the hubby on the day that it rained (luckily a Sunday football day.) We had a queen room, but they do have a larger family room with a queen and 3 twins that she showed me. I know others have complained of noise, but I didn't experience this and the lodge was full. I had the fan on and I always take my "white noise" machine traveling and only once heard anything after turning the lights out to go to bed and that was because I went to bed early and didn't hit the afterparty, and I heard people coming in around midnight on Saturday. This really seemed to be a place that the older, quieter crowd and families tend to stay. So I recommend this place for a less expensive Catalina get-away. Like I said, clean, basic and very friendly people.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We chose the Catalina Lodge for our one-night stay on the Island in late September, after reading the rave reviews on Trip Advisor - and we were not disappointed! It is family-owned by the always helpful and friendly Roberta and Bruce Black, who couldn't do enough to make our visit enjoyable. For example, Roberta recommended the Sand Trap (patronized as much by locals as by tourists) for a light, reasonably-priced dinner, and we enjoyed it immensely.

The Lodge is not fancy, but it is ultra-clean and neat, with a flat-screen TV and even a microwave. You will not find luxurious amenities here, but its location is very convenient to downtown Avalon, yet away from the noise and bustle of the main drag. We had a courtyard room, which is less noisy than one facing the street corner.

The real highlight of this hotel, however, is Roberta and Bruce. I'm sure they had lots of chores to do, but they happily chatted with my talkative husband for so long that we felt we were leaving good friends when we checked out. If and when we ever return to beautiful Catalina Island, we will definitely stay at the Lodge again, and also heartily recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: A courtyard-facing room will be quieter than one facing the street corner.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wheat Ridge, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at the Catlina Lodge for our honeymoon July 15-18, 2012. Location was extremely convenient. We walked everywhere easily. Staff was extremely friendly and treated us like family. If you're looking for a 5 star experience ...... this isn't for you. But if you're looking for a home away from home ..... THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Paradise CA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We have family reunions once a year on Catalina Island and finding good lodging is very important and sometimes impossible. In the last few years though we found this place as a constant for really exceptional people skills and the best rates for the rooms. Honestly I hope not too many people see this because this place is a true GEM! They have recently upgraded the place with new carpet, beds and flat screen TV's however I always found it to be very clean and a great place to relax at the end of the day. Everyone I know hopes they keep the current owners.

Room Tip: This place is more of a retreat from the parties rather than the gathering point. Which after a long...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

If you're looking for an economical and CLEAN place to stay, the Catalina Lodge is a great choice. I stayed during memorial day weekend while all the hotels were overpriced, the Catalina Lodge gave us a great rate! It was super convenient staying in the center of everything. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalina Lodge? Share your experiences!