“Thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Two Night Summer Vacation
Ranked #2 of 19 hotels in Avalon
Paynesville, Minnesota
“Thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

We make an annual trip to California. This was our first visit to Catalina Island, and we were not dissappointed. We stayed at the Avalon Hotel. We chose a room with a partial view, balcony, and king sized bed. Room was comfortable, clean, and included a microwave and small frig. The host of the hotel, Laurie, was awesome. Very friendly and helpful. She made us feel at home. You have the option to book a package deal with the hotel, which I would recommend. The package we chose included the Ferry ride over to the island, and the cab ride to the hotel. The hotel offers a beautiful courtyard, with a nice continental breakfast: cereal, muffins, fruit, yogurt, toast, etc. Enough to get us to our next meal. The rooftop view of the hotel is the selling point to us. The view was awesome! You are a short distance to the beach, restaurants, and shops. The only drawback is the steps. There is no elevator, so if this is a problem, I would recommend staying on the first floor. The cabbies will bring your luggage to the front desk. The staff was so friendly, accomodating, and made us feel welcome. They put a personal stamp on our visit. Doesn't happen at alot of hotels we've stayed at. Not only that, I had left some small articles of clothing in the room. They immediately mailed it to me....no charge. I would definitely go back again.

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

I came to this hotel because a friend recommended it to me and I couldn't have been happier. The staff couldn't have been any more helpful and nicer. They made you feel very welcome! The rooms were very cute and comfortable. Loved the newer looking bathrooms. I NEVER can sleep in hotels but I got a great night sleep here. It was super quiet which is a huge plus for me when staying at hotels. Loved the free breakfast out by the Koi pond. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

San Marcos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

This was our first trip to visit and stay on Catalia. Everything about the Avalon Hotel was perfect. The staff treated like good friends and provided excellent service. Not often do we sleep well while traveling but we did at the Avalon. The mattress and pillows were the best and the sheets are of such high quality that sleeping at night was delightful. Each morning we enjoyed the continental breakfast that featured fresh baked goods, fruit cereal, coffee and juice. Ourt trip passed quickly and when we return to Catalina we will definitely stay at the Avalon Hotel.

Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

This was our second visit to the Avalon Hotel, and we will be there again. The views, service, breakfast, cleanliness, memory foam beds, bathrooms, and little luxuries--well, I could go on and on. What is especially important to my husband and me is good service. The employees at the Avalon Hotel go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

The Avalon Hotel is within easy walking distance from the dock. Lisa greeted us warmly as we entered the lobby. As we checked in, we were offered coffee, tea, fruit, cookies, pretzels, peanuts.

Our room was located on the 3rd floor overlooking the courtyard. It appeared to be newly renovated in the Craftsman style and featured artwork and tile by local artists. This was our first time to sleep on a "memory foam" mattress--very comfortable.

We especially liked the custom mirror in the bathroom! It had 2 lights built into the mirror that gave excellent light for applying makeup and shaving. Lisa went above and beyond the call of duty to research where the mirror was manufactured.

Continental breakfast in the nicely landscaped courtyard provided a delicious start to our day. We enjoyed the warmth from the lighted firepit, and and watching the Koi swim in the pound . The roof-top deck provides a wonderful view of the ocean.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Gatos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

The hotel was very cozy...Great rooms and Lori and Diane were excellent!!! We stayed over the Thanksgiving Holiday and didn't want to go home so we delayed our departure and Lori and Diane were able to accommodate us to stay an extra night. I would definitely recommend staying here!! I love the lobby snacks as well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Fallbrook, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

After reading the reviews I booked a room here for Thanksgiving weekend. We were not dissapointed. Taxi service from the dock is included with the room. Our room was not ready when we arrived but they held our luggage while we went out and explored. The room was very comfortable. Great bed! I love the robes and the bath products were very nice. Breakfast in the garden patio was perfect. It was chilly in the morning so we sat by the fire pit. Continental breakfast with yogurt, granola, cereal, oatmeal, fresh fruit, muffins and other bakery items, english muffins, bagels, orange juice, etc. etc.
The view from the rooftop is beautiful!
The staff was very friendly and very helpful. I had left something behind in the in-room safe and didn't realize it until I was already on the boat home. The staff retrieved it and sent it via UPS. I had it back in less than a week with everything just as I left it.
I will be back!
Oh- you have to do the Zip Line tour while you are in Catalina - AWESOME.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Avalon Hotel on Catalina Island? Share your experiences!