“Beautiful Hotel, Smallish Rooms” 5 of 5 stars

124 Whittley Ave, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Long Beach, CA
“Beautiful Hotel, Smallish Rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

I stayed at the Avalon Hotel a few weeks ago on business and was impressed. The property is just gorgeous and the rooms were luxurious with nice sheets and big, fluffy beds. Room size can vary quite a bit, depending on where in the hotel you stay. The premium rooms are on the first floor, especially towards the front of the hotel where they have a view of the harbor. Rooms on the street side all have a nice balcony. Rooms on the other side overlook a courtyard with a fountain (very nice to fall asleep to at night.)

There is no elevator, so be prepared from some stairs. If you are knee-challenged, there is an entrance towards the back that only has a couple of steps to navigate. The non-premium rooms are well-appointed but small. There isn't even a proper closet, just a small rack over the mini-fridge. The morning breakfast was excellent, if limited. There are various cereals and granola, plus fresh fruit (a huge dish of fresh blueberries on my stay) plus breads and a toaster.

A lot of expense has gone into "plush" furnishings, from the bedding to remote control ceiling fans to the bowl sink in the bathroom to the custom logo light fixtures in the hallways. It is a very elegant setting on an island known for casual. If I stayed again, I'd want to bring someone and make sure I booked a room with a balcony and harbor view. This hotel would make a great romantic getaway!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

Let's just say that I thoroughly research hotels and restaurants before making a choice--almost to my fiance's disgust. I read some great reviews on this hotel and while there are always some negative reviews I was also happy to see that they were rated #1 on trip advisor. Now we know why they are rated number one... That is not to say that there aren't other great hotels in Catalina..we just won't be testing out those other hotels next time we come back as our experience at this hotel was superb.

We had never been to Catalina in the 3 years that we have been together and we wanted a quick getaway so on the 7:45am Dana Pt Catalina Express we went. We got there a little after 9am. They had said to get a cab and then the cabbie would get a voucher when we arrived at the hotel..which worked out great--we just gave him a few dollars for tip. When we arrived our room was not quite ready, but it was no problem...They took our cell number, held our bags and told us they would call us when it was ready.. A nice touch also was that they invited us to have breakfast on the patio since it was still going on until 10:30am. SWEET. We walked to Descanso Beach and hung out for a bit and our room was ready in a jiffy.

We checked into our room--they gave us a complimentary DELL laptop to use while at the hotel--free connection etc and our one night trip was well underway...That was until we woke up the next morning and I begged my fiance to stay one more night (: This hotel is nicely appointed and VERY clean, but cozy. It only has 15 rooms. They have a great rooftop patio with several bistro and regular tables. Their view was incredible and we used that patio several times during our stay. We actually hardly saw anyone else, even though all the rooms were booked. We did meet another couple that we got along well with and we met several times to have drinks in between little things we had planned to do.

We were suppose to check out at 11am and at 10:50am I came downstairs to see if we could stay another night--luckily they had one room left. It was an ocean view room and they gave us a steal....So altogether.. what a great experience...super service.. we inquired about buying some of the FiestaWare plates and research was done and passed to the next person on staff to inform us..something right is going on when you have that kind of communication between staff.

I kept the names of the 4 people who made our little get-away a real treat. Juan, Kristin, Derrick, and Ruben KUDOS to you and thanks for a memorable trip. These guys gave great service and were happy to oblige any question or request which we made..They all went out of their way. Juan gave us great recommendations and info about Catalina, Kristin hooked us up with a great room for night #2, Derrick personally walked me to the building across the street so I could find/buy a cola from a vending machine and Ruben tipped us off to this great local bar with insanely great food (The Lobster Trap) DANG! We hung out there our last night with the other friends we met at the hotel and wouldn't you know it Ruben was there after his shift! Ohhhh I don't think I will go on anymore--just go stay at THE AVALON HOTEL.

PS. Forgot to mention that this hotel is located off to the side of the main drag and 100 ft up one street. This is great because you don't have all the chaos and kids making noise--but it is still in the middle of it all. It is also a good little work out if you come and go a bunch--made our adult cocktails taste that much better knowing we got a little exercise.

Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

My sister and I took our 61 year old mother to stay at the Avalon Hotel for her birthday. It was a hit! This is a beautiful hotel with a real bed and breakfast feel. Our room had a spectacular view of the beach front and the hotel itself is located a mere 2-3 short blocks from the main drag. This location proved to be ideal because it makes accessing shops and restaurants easy, but without having to deal with the "after hours" clamor of bars and clubs. The room included a mini fridge (which was stocked with complimentary water and fruit juice), a small microwave oven, and plenty of closet space. The bathroom was sparkling and included complimentary spa goodies (the tangerine-sage body butter and scrub are divine!). The complimentary continental breakfast had a nice selection and the hotel offers fresh, whole fruit at the front counter. Be forewarned that there are a lot of stairs (no elevator) and this hotel is not cheap; however, the location, bed-and-breakfast "touch," and beauty of this hotel ensure that I'll be staying at the Avalon Hotel the next time I return to Catalina Island.

• Stayed July 2009
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

My girlfriend and I visited Catalina Island for the very first time this past weekend. The island was great and what was even greater was our stay at The Avalon Hotel. I had read reviews before deciding where we would stay and decided on The Avalon Hotel. The positive reviews I read could not have been more right. The staff was friendly and VERY helpful. The location on the hotel was perfect and close to everything. The rooms were clean, neat, and the overall presence of the hotel was perfect. Their rooftop area was wonderful with a great view. Perfect place to kick back on their lounge chairs, soak up some rays, and enjoy some nice wine with a great view of the island. We took the late ferry back to Long Island on Sunday and although we had to check out by 11am, the staff held onto our luggage as we continued to explore the island. They also made the hotel completely available to us even after we had checked out. Just an overall great experience. I am not one to take the time to write reviews although I felt compelled to do so because of the great experience I had staying at The Avalon Hotel. Great customer service is VERY important to me and these guys completed exceeded all my expectations. We look forward to getting back to the island soon and when we do there's no doubt where we'll be staying, The Avalon Hotel hands down!

San Clemente, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

To start off with, Diana was a superior host. She is a gem herself. The property was recommended to us by a new friend of ours, Pat, and it was as gorgeous as he described. The patio below is gorgeous, and the rooftop patio is stunning with a panoramic view of the harbor. The rooms were elegantly finished and had plenty of room. My wife loved it more than I did, and I thought it was superb.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

the mid-week special package is a terrific value for bed and breakfast alone but it's the staff that makes the experience so wonderful. I took my mom (who is a senior) to Catalina...it was her first visit and she loved it. We found the staff took a real interest in the quality of each guests experience. The room was spacious with a queen and murphy bed and the view was beautiful. There was a separate desk area which allowed me to connect to the internet and work at my leisure.

• Stayed July 2009
Riverside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

My wife and I traveled to Catalina for our honeymoon. When I told the front desk that it
was for our honeymoon on the phone, they spread rose petals throughout the room, and gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne. Everything was lovely; everything was super clean, the staff super helpful, and they treated us very well. In fact I work at a retreat center/hotel myself so I can tell when someone is just being nice because they are being paid. The staff here was genuinely helpful and nice. As far as amenities we were provided a laptop for use during our stay, a beach bag with towels, binoculars, lots of nice stuff . We had a great honeymoon. I'm planning our vacation now , and I plan on a return trip to this splendid hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Avalon Hotel? Share your experiences!