“Nice Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Sugar Land, TX
“Nice Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

This is our second trip to Avalon, but only our first time to stay. We stayed two nights and enjoyed it. The hotel is quaint and charming. The room was clean and the staff was very friendly. There is a continental breakfast that we had on our second morning (Thanksgiving). The first morning we went to Pancake Cottage (yum!). Ou roompackage included the Catalina Express, which was one less thing for us to have to arrange, so that was nice. We saw some other cute hotels on the island, but we would certainly consider staying here again if we return!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
San Pedro, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

High Expectations, as per the reviews for this hotel, totally not met except by the great staff! Would not recommend this hotel for the price paid. Have never written a poor review, but a flight attendant friend said I owed it to you!

• Stayed October 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

My BDay and we chose to stay at the Avalon Hotel. This place is very comfortable and clean. View and location is nice and view from top deck is amazing. Got a bottle of champagne and sat up on deck just us two, and watched the sun go down. BFast in AM by Koi pond was relaxing. Room small but clean and cozy with pvt balcony. Would recommend highly.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lompoc, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This hotel was absolutely wonderful from start to finish! My husband took me for our first visit to Catalina Island for my birthday! When we arrived they walked us up to our room and had champange waiting and chilled in our room! The room was so cozy and felt like home. THe bathroom had little touches that also made it feel like a house not a hotel. It felt so private and nice. On friday nights they have a complimentary wine and cheese night in their back garden! Not only is the back garden lush and green, they have a lovely little coy pond. As for the staff...they were so wonderful! We had signed up for the Eco 10K race that was going on that weekend and Laurie (innkeeper) took our picture before and after the race for her website! Also, when my husband won a medal they welcomed and celebrated with us like family!! We felt like going to this inn was like going home. They also have an area up on the roof where we sat out one night and overlooked the whole beautiful city with a bottle of wine. Not to mention, I said the visit was from start to finish...well the last day instead of checkout and leave, out boat did not leave for awhile so they securly stored all of our baggage for us in a little locked up shed so that we could roam the town! This is a such a brief outline of the wonderful time we had there. But trust me, if we ever go back that is where we are staying. It was so lovely. You would all love it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed here for a few days on a vacation as we wanted to dive around Avalon. The hotel staff and reception was exceptional as we were immediately invited to a wine and cheese cocktail party on the patio with other guests. The patio party moved to the roof where they have stunning views over the Avalon bay (see photo).

The room was well appointed and quite luxurious with an excellent bathroom and toiletries. The room (102) was quiet and the balcony afforded a view up and down the street with the sea visible at the bottom. It is a short walk down a small flight of steps down to the main beach road and easily 5 minutes from the sea. Everything in Avalon is quite compact.

The breakfast buffet is on the garden patio and had plenty of choice but get there early as the coffee runs out!

The hotel staff were the friendliest and most helpful that I have ever witnessed. Fully recommended.

Room Tip: Room 102 had space and a sea view balcony. The roof patios is up 4 flights of stairs but is well wor...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Have not been on the island since I was young and wanted to come do some hiking and biking. Did some research on what hotels to stay at, and every time the Avalon came to the top. So gave it a shot, and boy was I glad I did. Such an awesome place, great rooms with a very bed and breakfast feel. I loved the décor and layout of the old building, but with the modern updates. The staff was super friendly, gave me all sorts of advice and secret hidden gems to find such as trails and great little places to eat. I felt like I was staying with family being as friendly as the Innkeepers were. The views of the bay are great and the little garden is a great little sanctuary to have breakfast or just relax. I have no reason or want to try another hotel. This will be my choice time and time again.

Room Tip: Any room on the 3rd floor has a view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

I previously stayed at Portofino for 2 years, then stayed at the metropole suite for 3 years during the Catalina Island Jazz Festival. Became increasingly disappointed with service and lodging of our ocean view suite and decided to look elsewhere. My I wished I had found this place before. The Customer service is outstanding. Laurie you are amazing. The front desk personnel go out of their way to make you feel special. Location is great and the suite was perfect. Had a Murphy bed to accommodate the 2nd person in my party. Morning breakfast and snacks throughout the day are great. Hands down this is the best place to stay. Rooms are clean and comfortable. On my 2nd day there I knew I wanted to book for next year and when I did was sad to find out that room was booked for 2014. Laurie booked another suite for me on a lower level. To my surprise I got an email saying the folks cancelled and I was booked in the room I wanted. That's what you call customer service. She did not have to notify me and could have given it to someone else. That's why I will be returning. Service is priceless

Rhonda

• Stayed October 2013

Been to The Avalon Hotel on Catalina Island? Share your experiences!