“Comfort, views and style” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free Transportation
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Comfort, views and style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed here for a few days on a vacation as we wanted to dive around Avalon. The hotel staff and reception was exceptional as we were immediately invited to a wine and cheese cocktail party on the patio with other guests. The patio party moved to the roof where they have stunning views over the Avalon bay (see photo).

The room was well appointed and quite luxurious with an excellent bathroom and toiletries. The room (102) was quiet and the balcony afforded a view up and down the street with the sea visible at the bottom. It is a short walk down a small flight of steps down to the main beach road and easily 5 minutes from the sea. Everything in Avalon is quite compact.

The breakfast buffet is on the garden patio and had plenty of choice but get there early as the coffee runs out!

The hotel staff were the friendliest and most helpful that I have ever witnessed. Fully recommended.

Room Tip: Room 102 had space and a sea view balcony. The roof patios is up 4 flights of stairs but is well wor...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Have not been on the island since I was young and wanted to come do some hiking and biking. Did some research on what hotels to stay at, and every time the Avalon came to the top. So gave it a shot, and boy was I glad I did. Such an awesome place, great rooms with a very bed and breakfast feel. I loved the décor and layout of the old building, but with the modern updates. The staff was super friendly, gave me all sorts of advice and secret hidden gems to find such as trails and great little places to eat. I felt like I was staying with family being as friendly as the Innkeepers were. The views of the bay are great and the little garden is a great little sanctuary to have breakfast or just relax. I have no reason or want to try another hotel. This will be my choice time and time again.

Room Tip: Any room on the 3rd floor has a view.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

I previously stayed at Portofino for 2 years, then stayed at the metropole suite for 3 years during the Catalina Island Jazz Festival. Became increasingly disappointed with service and lodging of our ocean view suite and decided to look elsewhere. My I wished I had found this place before. The Customer service is outstanding. Laurie you are amazing. The front desk personnel go out of their way to make you feel special. Location is great and the suite was perfect. Had a Murphy bed to accommodate the 2nd person in my party. Morning breakfast and snacks throughout the day are great. Hands down this is the best place to stay. Rooms are clean and comfortable. On my 2nd day there I knew I wanted to book for next year and when I did was sad to find out that room was booked for 2014. Laurie booked another suite for me on a lower level. To my surprise I got an email saying the folks cancelled and I was booked in the room I wanted. That's what you call customer service. She did not have to notify me and could have given it to someone else. That's why I will be returning. Service is priceless

Rhonda

• Stayed October 2013
Redlands, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

And the rooms and amenities are not all that delighted us. The Innkeeper, Laurie, and her staff were so gracious and helpful. Great breakfast included, then wine and cheese on Friday afternoons. The rooms are really clean and well-appointed. Our only beef was that the comforter on the bed must have been made of lead. It weighed a TON and we quickly jettisoned it onto the floor and grabbed the extra blanket from the bottom drawer. We will not stay in a different hotel on Catalina...ever.

Room Tip: There's no elevator, so the less-fit may opt for a lower floor. We loved the view from the top/t...
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I would give it 3.5 bubbles. The Avalon is cute, more like a bed and breakfast than a hotel. It's got character and much like with houses, you pay for that quirkiness with some annoyance.

Fabulous:
Ergonomic Foam pillow
Foam mattress (a little odd, but good sleep)
View from patio

Fridge
Nice bathroom

Nope:
20 pound bedspread/ comforter; not functional, ugly, waste of space
Showerhead strong flow, but hard to keep hair dry if you don't want to wash it.
Nothing in room smells nice. Towels smell bad. One had a bloodstain. I had a slight fresh paint odour in my nose all evening, but no pleasant scents. Not allowed inscense or candles, so no way to create a pleasant olfactory ambience.

I slept really well, which is rare for me, so I would probably stay here again, but I can't give it too high a rating because it has flaws that could be fixed if they wanted to.

I can see how people would be very disappointed coming in with high expectations or for a special occasion, but there are enough good points that one should have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Abilene, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here at the Avalon Hotel for our honeymoon, It was such a great experience! It is a very nice hotel with all the latest amenities, but still small enough to be cozy and intimate. The staff certainly exemplifies that atmosphere, and we were so well taken care of. New beach towels, drinks, and coffee everyday in the rooms, not to mention snacks and coffee any time from the Keurig in the lobby! The continental breakfast was extensive as well. We stayed in 301, with a full ocean view. Such a spectacle, overlooking Avalon bay! The rooms were very clean, the beds were very comfy, and the decor complimented the feel of the island and culture very well. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, and if we ever go back, we will certainly not think twice about calling on the wonderful ladies at the Avalon Hotel again. 5 Stars!

Room Tip: 301 is the room to stay in! Full ocean view on private balcony
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

First time to Catalina. We narrowed down our search and chose the Avalon hotel. So glad we did! The location, views and rooms are excellent. Had 302- balcony with ocean view. Get the three night special. The 360* roof top view and lounging area is beautiful, as is breakfast in the courtyard with the koi pond, fire pit and hummingbirds! The decor is beautiful craftsman style wood. Amenities are generous- snacks, water, coffee, lotions. The innkeepers are nice- thanks Laurie and staff. The reason it's better than the others is because it is nicer, newer, smaller, and quieter than some of the other nice properties (except for construction right now) but still only a minute from the main street. Also more private and charming. The golf carts are fun. Get a free Von's membership card to save money at the grocery store. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: get a top floor balcony- 302 was perfect- but the rooftop area makes a non balcony room just fine! n...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Avalon Hotel? Share your experiences!