“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars

124 Whittley Ave, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #2 of 19 hotels in Avalon
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

I previously stayed at Portofino for 2 years, then stayed at the metropole suite for 3 years during the Catalina Island Jazz Festival. Became increasingly disappointed with service and lodging of our ocean view suite and decided to look elsewhere. My I wished I had found this place before. The Customer service is outstanding. Laurie you are amazing. The front desk personnel go out of their way to make you feel special. Location is great and the suite was perfect. Had a Murphy bed to accommodate the 2nd person in my party. Morning breakfast and snacks throughout the day are great. Hands down this is the best place to stay. Rooms are clean and comfortable. On my 2nd day there I knew I wanted to book for next year and when I did was sad to find out that room was booked for 2014. Laurie booked another suite for me on a lower level. To my surprise I got an email saying the folks cancelled and I was booked in the room I wanted. That's what you call customer service. She did not have to notify me and could have given it to someone else. That's why I will be returning. Service is priceless

Rhonda

• Stayed October 2013

382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Redlands, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

And the rooms and amenities are not all that delighted us. The Innkeeper, Laurie, and her staff were so gracious and helpful. Great breakfast included, then wine and cheese on Friday afternoons. The rooms are really clean and well-appointed. Our only beef was that the comforter on the bed must have been made of lead. It weighed a TON and we quickly jettisoned it onto the floor and grabbed the extra blanket from the bottom drawer. We will not stay in a different hotel on Catalina...ever.

Room Tip: There's no elevator, so the less-fit may opt for a lower floor. We loved the view from the top/t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I would give it 3.5 bubbles. The Avalon is cute, more like a bed and breakfast than a hotel. It's got character and much like with houses, you pay for that quirkiness with some annoyance.

Fabulous:
Ergonomic Foam pillow
Foam mattress (a little odd, but good sleep)
View from patio

Fridge
Nice bathroom

Nope:
20 pound bedspread/ comforter; not functional, ugly, waste of space
Showerhead strong flow, but hard to keep hair dry if you don't want to wash it.
Nothing in room smells nice. Towels smell bad. One had a bloodstain. I had a slight fresh paint odour in my nose all evening, but no pleasant scents. Not allowed inscense or candles, so no way to create a pleasant olfactory ambience.

I slept really well, which is rare for me, so I would probably stay here again, but I can't give it too high a rating because it has flaws that could be fixed if they wanted to.

I can see how people would be very disappointed coming in with high expectations or for a special occasion, but there are enough good points that one should have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Abilene, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here at the Avalon Hotel for our honeymoon, It was such a great experience! It is a very nice hotel with all the latest amenities, but still small enough to be cozy and intimate. The staff certainly exemplifies that atmosphere, and we were so well taken care of. New beach towels, drinks, and coffee everyday in the rooms, not to mention snacks and coffee any time from the Keurig in the lobby! The continental breakfast was extensive as well. We stayed in 301, with a full ocean view. Such a spectacle, overlooking Avalon bay! The rooms were very clean, the beds were very comfy, and the decor complimented the feel of the island and culture very well. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, and if we ever go back, we will certainly not think twice about calling on the wonderful ladies at the Avalon Hotel again. 5 Stars!

Room Tip: 301 is the room to stay in! Full ocean view on private balcony
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

First time to Catalina. We narrowed down our search and chose the Avalon hotel. So glad we did! The location, views and rooms are excellent. Had 302- balcony with ocean view. Get the three night special. The 360* roof top view and lounging area is beautiful, as is breakfast in the courtyard with the koi pond, fire pit and hummingbirds! The decor is beautiful craftsman style wood. Amenities are generous- snacks, water, coffee, lotions. The innkeepers are nice- thanks Laurie and staff. The reason it's better than the others is because it is nicer, newer, smaller, and quieter than some of the other nice properties (except for construction right now) but still only a minute from the main street. Also more private and charming. The golf carts are fun. Get a free Von's membership card to save money at the grocery store. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: get a top floor balcony- 302 was perfect- but the rooftop area makes a non balcony room just fine! n...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Located across the street from the beach, this boutique hotel is worth a short stay. We especially liked the roof garden with its sweeping views of the Avalon Harbour. It's about a ten minute walk from the Avalon Express - easy to get to with suitcases on wheels.

What we did not like was the noise of vehicular traffic which starts about 0530 and continues through late evening. Also most of the rooms, including ours, have no windows and are very tiny. But, heh, who spends much time in their room when visiting a lovely oasis like Catalina Island!

Room Tip: Great inn for a two-night stay!
shelburne,VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Recently we spent an abbreviated trip to Avalon
First the hotel is beautifully appointed, wonderful modern bathroom and tub, delightful and clean room with a balcony. Breakfast garden is relaxing, tropical with sufficiently available breakfast essentials. Our first floor ocean view had a balcony overlooking the street. there was some minor street noise, but expected with first floor.
Our trip was shortened by a death in the family and the staff of Laurie and Ellen could not have been more understanding and accommodative. They refunded our unused day and helped with letting us use the room all day until 5.40 ferry.
This was not the least expensive we could have booked, but I find that you usually get what you pay for. On our next trip to Avalon we would unhesitatingly stay her.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Avalon Hotel on Catalina Island? Share your experiences!