“Wonderful hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Dallas
“Wonderful hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My husband and I went to Catalina for his pre-birthday celebration. I was able to organize a very nice weekend for him via a few phones calls with Laurie and Kate. The hotel is lovely-breakfast and wine/cheese are served in their garden by the koi pond (feeding the koi is cool experience). My husband didn't want to leave! Unfortunately, his sunglasses decided to stay in the hotel room without us but were discovered by the staff and kindly sent back to Texas.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Looking at the negative reviews of the hotel I can say yes, the rooms are small. But isn't the point of going to Catalina to go outside! The hotel is perfect, its in a great location a five minute walk from anything and maybe yes the room is on the small side but the bed is the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on. Also the rooftop deck makes this hotel the hidden gem it is. It has one of the best views of the city you can find.

What makes this hotel really worth the #1 ranking is the staff that runs it. They are kind and always willing to help, extremely nice and friendly. We have stayed at the Avalon twice now and both times the staff has been wonderful to us, so we will keep coming back.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

My girlfriend and I took advantage of a mid-week special for 2 nights and it was TOTALLY WORTH IT. We had such a great time, the hotel was beautiful and cozy. The staff was incredibly helpful (shoutout to Lori, she was the besets!) and overwhelmingly polite. Everything about our stay was perfect. Thanks so much, we hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: Even if the room doesn't directly face the ocean, the rooms on the street side have large balcon...
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed here last weekend with my daughter. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was very comfortable and the view from my room, number 201 was great. Breakfast was splendid. I enjoyed myself so much, that I am returning in a few weeks.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Murrieta, California, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This place is a rip off! Everything on the website is hype! At best, the views, beds, breakfast and service are all modest. This hotel promises a lot, charges a breathtaking rate, even by Catalina Island standards, and then fails to deliver!

I sensed trouble when I checked in and was solicited for a tip on a un-totaled, restaurant style credit card receipt. For what? The pleasure of accepting my online reservation and $400+ deposit? While I would consider tipping for excellent service on checkout, it is a low-class (or grossly careless) business practice to imply this consideration at check-in and a lie to present such a receipt and pretend it means anything different.

Since my visit to Catalina was a special event, I selected Room 101 based the website’s description of it. Definitely DO NOT reserve room 101 if you want any quiet or privacy. It's only one level above a busy street and about 10 steps from the front desk/lobby. The room itself was a HUGE disappointment! I expect some hype on a business’s website, but this one is borderline fraud. For this room the website describes “dramatic ocean vistas” and a “plush queen bed.” I would describe the view, from a standard sized window around another building and down a street, as “modest” at best. The bed and bedding are third rate even in comparison to current chain hotel standards. The bed had an uncommon, twenty or so pound, horse blanket type bedspread but no blanket underneath. It was extremely unwieldy and uncomfortable. The mattress was some type of foam (as advertised) but far inferior to standard foam mattresses.

The service was disappointing, too. We left our room at 9 am and returned momentarily around 2 pm and it still wasn’t serviced. I specifically requested at the front desk that it be serviced since we were returning in an hour to prepare for a late afternoon event and then dinner and was completely brushed off. We returned at 3 pm and waited 30 minutes more for our room to be ready. I would not normally comment on such an incident, but this lack of service combined with a discount hotel quality continental breakfast; cheap, store bought cookies and other highly touted but lackluster amenities, and uncomfortable room at the weekend rate of $860 makes the Avalon Hotel, in a lifetime of worldwide travel as a military and airline pilot, the biggest hotel rip off I’ve ever experienced!

In short, big price, big promises, but just not worth it.

On the plus side, I strongly recommend Brown’s Bicycle Rental, the grilled fish sandwiches at the Lobster Trap, morning coffee and fresh baked goods at the El Encanto Courtyard, dinner at Villa Portofino and the couple’s massage by Lavina and Sarah at the Aurora Hotel if any of those activities are of interest to you. Except for rate to quality ratio at the Avalon, our visit to Catalina was a blast!

Room Tip: Avoid room 101; uncomfortable bed, noisy. Perhaps avoid all lower level rooms as the street below...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
TheAvalonHotels, Owner at The Avalon Hotel on Catalina Island, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
We are so very sorry that you feel The Avalon did not met your expectations. We are an independent boutique property and while our amenities and environment please most of our guests it obviously was not a fit for you.
Our beds are Supplepedic, which we choose after much consideration. We get many compliments on our custom comforters; I apologize that they were not to your liking. As for not having a blanket, perhaps you did not notice it as the beds are triple sheeted with ironed, 350-thread count sheets; the blanket is contained within the sheets.
As mentioned in an email to you, we recently switched credit card companies, which is why you were given a restaurant-style credit card slip. It was not a “solicitation” of tip, nor would one have been accepted. We are in the process of rectifying this situation.
Once again, I do apologize for your room not being serviced when you requested it.
I hope you return to Catalina and find a property more to your liking.
Coggeshall, Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

We stayed here a couple of weeks ago as a last minute getaway. We were here for three nights and it could not have been a better experience! Ken took our reservation and was beyond helpful and accomodating. They had no rooms available with a balcony for our first night, but Ken made sure we had a balcony room for the next two nights and that really made the trip for us! We loved sitting out on the balcony on our glider bench, sipping wine and looking out at the water. Ahhh... Perfect. The view from the rooftop deck was breathtaking. (Though I will say that even the room without the balcony was still great. It had a view of the courtyard with a bit of a water view. No complaints about that room).

Laurie was so nice to let us check in early. We drove down from the Bay Area, took the early ferry to Catalina, and arrived at the hotel at 8:30am. Our room was not available at that time of day, but Laurie was so sweet and said we could hang out on the roof deck while we waited for check in. She knew we were exhausted, so when our room became available, she gave us a call on our cell phone and let us know we could check in early! How nice is that?

During our entire three night stay, we honestly had not one complaint about this hotel and its staff. Everyone was so personable and helpful. The hotel was spotless, the decor was great. Everything is in great condition and the place seems to be recently remodeled. We loved the natural citrus toiletries and soaps. I could go on and on about this place. We would definitely like to return again!

Thanks Laurie and Ken for making this a great trip for us. :-)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

First Class in ever way. I wish we could have spent more time . Others could
learn from this operation. I would highly recommend this beautifully maintained and staffed
propery.

Room Tip: Ask for a Harbour View
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Avalon Hotel on Catalina Island? Share your experiences!