“Best hotel i have ever stayed at” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
Celebrating?
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Avalon
san diego
“Best hotel i have ever stayed at”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

First rate. The rooms are incredible. The staff is amazing. So many little touches. You will not be disappointed. I cant wait to return.

• Stayed August 2011
TheAvalonHotels, Owner at The Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I give the Avalon Hotel A+ in every way! Laurie and Don at the front desk were exceptionally helpful. They offered to hold my luggage before check in and after check out time, carried my suitcase up the stairs for me, and always greeted me in a friendly way. The continental breakfast had several kinds of fruit, bread and juice + of course coffee and tea, served in a lovely garden terrace. My room had a view of the garden rather than of the ocean, but I knew that before I came, since I had chosen a less expensive room. If you want a quiet hotel, this is the place to be! It's about a block from the ocean, but not close to all the "night life" and bars, which are several blocks away. I loved the roof-top deck with the great view of the harbor, and comfortable lounge chairs. I also loved the plush comfy robes provided. The room was great for me as a solo traveler, and would have also been fine for two. Yes, I wish it had an elevator. BUT it is in a renovated historic building, so an elevator really isn't possible. They pay the taxi to and from the boat dock. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I'm glad I didn't pay extra for a balcony, since the balconies faced the street rather than...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
swccatalina, Public Relations Manager at The Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Glad you enjoyed your stay at The Avalon. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Great hotel staff...Very accommodating! They went out off their way to make sure we were taken care of. They even let us check in 3 hours early and check out an hour late!
It was such a clean and inviting room with comfortable bed. The room fridge came attacked withbwaters and Snapple juices. They even made sure we had snacks like microwave popcorn. It is obvious that you get what you pay for. My only recommendation would be to add a few more options at breakfast. We will definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: clean clean clean.... Microwave and fridge were perfect amenities....bed was so comfortable... Nice...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the taking the time to share your experiences at The Avalon Hotel. Glad to hear that the staff was so accommodating and that you enjoyed the complimentary snacks and refreshments.
Monrovia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is a darling hotel in the middle of Avalon. My husband and I snuck away to The Avalon Hotel for one night during our family vacation (while the grandparents watched the kids!) We had a room on the third floor with an small balcony that had a view of the casino and a little bit of the harbor. Our main comment about our short but sweet stay there was the bed...it was magnificent! A wonderful nights sleep is priceless...especially when you have young children and sleep filled nights are few and far between.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Avalon. Glad you had a chance to sneak away for a little grown-up time.
portland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights for my 40th birthday. How this hotel is rated #1 is beyond me.

The website mentions "elegant decor". Since when is beat-up cabin-style furniture considered elegant? "Plush bathrobes', hah! The robes were so old and rough we couldn't use them. "Decadent accomodations"??? Where, what exactly? I saw that the owner replied to one of the reviews and mentioned complimentary bottled water. There was one small bottle of water for each of us upon arrival. The water was NEVER replaced but there is complimentary tap water in a pitcher at the reception desk if you want that. When I requested more bottled water from Lauri, it was a big deal and I got ONE more small bottle.

When my husband booked the room, he was told we had a balcony. The balcony was 1 foot deep so I don't know if you can call that a balcony since it is unusable.

One night at 10:00pm kids were playing and yelling in the hallway for about 15 minutes until I finally came out and asked them if they could be quiet. They were playing right by Lauri's room (she apparently stays there) and she never came out to tell them to be quiet. Really? Aren't you like the manager or something?

All of this would be completely acceptable had the room been $100/night. But when you are paying over $400/night you expect more.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
TheAvalonHotels, Owner at The Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Sorry to hear your stay did not meet your expectations. We have received many compliments on our custom Mission furniture, unfortunately it sounds as if it was not your style. The free bottled water is a smaller size, glad to hear you were accommodated when you requested more. Children do on occasion stay at the hotel, sorry you were disturbed by them. I spoke with Laurie and she did not hear any children playing or yelling at night.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Before going to Catalina, I had read and heard that a day trip would probably be sufficient. But you know what? I would definitely recommend an overnight, especially if it includes the Avalon. Your pace will be much slower and you can enjoy the evening as well as the early morning, looking out over the island from the hotel.

They graciously offer taxi pick-up as part of the room rate, but we found the 10-minute walk a good way to get our bearings after arriving on the Catalina Express. The hotel has been beautifully restored in arts and crafts style with lots of wood paneling and furniture, heavy wooden doors, and large, white tiled bathrooms. The beds and chair in the room were super comfy. There was complimentary bottled water and iced tea in the small fridge in the room.

The view from our room, 201, was fantastic, as it is a corner room. The view from the roofdeck is even more amazing. You can sunbathe in the lounges on the roofdeck if you like.

A continental breakfast including fresh raspberries and blackberries and wonderful berry scones is served outside on the patio. Local taffy is available in a candy dish in the lobby as well as a daily re-stocked snack table with peanuts, pretzels and cookies.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a night or longer at the Avalon.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with a baclony!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences at The Avalon and we're very glad you decided you needed more than a day trip to enjoy our island paradise.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

As much as we would like out trips to be perfect, there is always a chance for a problem to rear its ugly head. I had just such a problem earlier this week during my stay at The Avalon. To coin a phrase, it is the recovery that counts. Without going into detail, there was an issue during my stay; however the staff recovered and made everything right. In the end, this is a sign of a team that cares about their clients and understands the priority is taking care of the customer.

Both my rooms were comfortable; however I would suggest replacing the bed in my room as my only complaint. The rooms are very nicely furnished and the bathrooms are modernized with excellent tile work and fixtures. The hotel was centrally located, very clean and staffed with a group that cares. Everything I requested with there for me and more. Breakfast was perfect and the exterior patio was very nice with a Koi pond and fire pit. I will return to the Avalon Hotel…

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
TheAvalonHotels, General Manager at The Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
So glad you enjoyed your stay and we were able to make everything right. Hope to see you again soon.