“Be ADVIZED...info is your best defense” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hermosa Hotel

You added Hermosa Hotel to your Saves list
Hermosa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 Metropole Street, PO Box 646, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Avalon
Irvine, California
“Be ADVIZED...info is your best defense”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I am sharing this review because I have used tripadvisor in the past with excellent and accurate results, an as information is the best weapon I must arm potential travelers to Hermosa Hotel of the details of my stay.
Staff was friendly, a bit too relaxed, but that may just be an island type of attitude.
The room and premises however are quite another tale. I have uploaded pictures of my "cottage". My friend booked the room, as I would have used tripadvisor to review rooms before purchasing and would NOT have chosen Hermosa Hotel.
We stayed in a single bed cottage at the very front of the hotel. The first thing that attracted my eye way the years of accumulated use and wear. The website claims a flat screen and microwave in every room, we had neither. The frig was clean and worked well. As in other reviews in the room itself, there are no closets, no drawers. The bathroom (understand I'm kind of a germaphobe) had so many generations of visitors that area around the sink faucet had a constant stream of black flakes emanating from behind it each time water went back there and a ring from a faucet that had rusted there years ago. I acquired cleaning supplies and went to work on the bathroom so I could some what comfortably use it. I luckily found a great restroom in the lobby of a different hotel a few blocks away which was so very nice I used their sterling facilities instead of the one gross attached to my room.
The first evening I tried to catch a nap and I found the bed and pillows to be very soft and comfortable, however barely 10 minutes into the snooze I was shaken awake by a jack hammer right outside the window (see picture) which lasted over an hour. This construction carried on over the full three days I stayed on the island; my unwelcome alarm in the morning and dreaded companion upon returning in the evening. They did wrap it u after 5pm. So about that bed, comfortable, but I made the flaw of glancing under the sheet, where the drops and smears of hopefully not blood, staining the old mattress cover, confirmed my harsh review of this establishment.
I understand it is quite an old historic place and that certainly has its aesthetic appeal, however, the overall disrepair, unhygienic, uncomfortable stay and skin crawling sensation of once again stepping foot into that cottage confirms my rating.
This review is meant to inform, not criticize or debase. Will not book again with Hermosa Hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the street. Historic translates to in need of renovation.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us; we appreciate your comments, concerns, and constructive criticism. As far as the construction goes, we of course have no control over the city's improvements, but the project is scheduled to end shortly. We have taken your remarks to the housekeeping and maintenance departments and will consult with them further. We are constantly working on improving our facilities and we value your insight.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hebrew first
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Do not stay here! This hotel was a horrible experience that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. The cottage was in disgusting condition with mold on floors. The bathroom mirror was rusted and looked about fifty years old. We took pictures of the place just to document the condition it was in. It was a tiny cottage where you could hear everything including the maid's children and family living in the cottage across the way at all hours of the night (the fire marshal came over one morning to check their cottage, she had eight people living in it). There were no amenities such as a blow dryer or shampoo and the bathroom smelled like fish. One morning when we went to go get new towels (not sure why the maid didn't supply new ones each day), the owner of the hotel ignored my boyfriend and helped several other people who came in after him (those other customers commented on it- pointing as if to say he's first which the owner ignored), I'd hate to think this was because my boyfriend is black but I could see no other reason why he'd be completely ignored. When he finally was helped, he asked for more towels and the owner told him to go get his old ones. What hotel on earth asks you to go get your old towels????? We were treated like second class citizens. We literally looked for new hotels online to stay at while we were there, but everything was booked. We even tried to go home a day early, but all the ferries back to port were full. The icing on the cake was on our third day when we looked at our mattress cover and saw old blood stains on it. Any hotel that continually uses sheets or mattress covers where they know blood stains are on it should be cited by the health department. I would have preferred to stay at a Motel 6. At least you know what you are getting there. It's cheaper and actually much cleaner. The Hermosa Hotel should be shut down. You couldn't pay to send me back there.

Room Tip: There is no good room.
HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Hi there Courtney,

Thank you for your review. We certainly appreciate candor. However, I really must raise a point of contention: we at the Hermosa would never discriminate against someone because of skin color. Absolutely never. Although your other comments are certainly deserving of attention, to suggest we operate in a racist manner is offensive not only to the integrity of our business, but also to the personal values of our entire staff.

Some of your comments relate more to the historic nature of the property, due to the contracting/architecture practices in use during the time they were built.

As far as housekeeping goes, we do our best to remain efficient and thorough, but whenever it is necessary our office staff is always more than happy to personally bring any requested amenities (including towels, shampoo, and blow dryers) up to rooms. In regards to the cleanliness deficit - did you alert the front desk? We certainly would have taken care of those problems immediately. Almost 100% of the issues you mentioned are completely unusual and would have been cause for alarm on the part of our staff.

Lastly, we are family owned and operated, and proud to be so. We are also always looking for ways to improve, and will take your remarks into consideration. Thank you for your time!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed in one of the cottages that was toward the back of the hotel (up 2 flights of stairs - but I don't mind stairs), so it was off the street and quiet. The place is quaint. It is an older place, but still enjoyable. If you are looking for modern, this is not it. If you are looking for character, this place has it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The place is not dumpy at all - it's just older. I'd recommend this place for younger couples. The cottage didn't have a closet, but it had a good amount of dresser space. The climate control in the cottage worked well, but we were using the heating, so I can't say anything about AC. The staff was very helpful, and the hotel has bikes you can rent for fair prices, which is great for Avalon. The free internet they offered to guests had trouble reaching our unit in the back, but if we ever wanted to know anything about the island, the staff was always willing to fill us in, and their information was just as good.

Room Tip: If you like to have more quiet, and you are ok with stairs, then get a cottage toward the back of th...
HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for your review! We're very glad you appreciate the historic charm of the Hermosa and that you enjoyed your stay in Avalon. We hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We visited the island mid April. We stayed in an ocean view apartment. The kitchen was well stocked as well cooked a couple meals. The bed was very comfy with nice pillows. There were French doors that opened onto a deck. The bathroom is nice and updated. The living room furniture was nice with French doors that opened on to deck. The deck had two lounge chairs and a table and chair set. The view is fantastic. We really enjoyed our stay. There is no air conditioning but it was not needed. There was always a nice breeze. We had a great stay and look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: My favorite is ocean view 3.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Darthula,

Thank you very much for your glowing review! The Ocean View suite is my personal favorite room and a general favorite of all guests who stay there. We too look forward to your future stay - we'll see you soon!
La Mesa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Would rate a zero star but you can't. Anyways, we stayed 4/7/14 - 4/9/14. What a freaking joke!! The "Preferred Cottage" is little more than a shed with a bathroom in it. No closets, drawers or anywhere else to put/hang your clothes. Blinds were missing pieces so anyone walking by could look in, so we covered them with blankets. Even so, in the middle of the night the outside lighting was so bright that you could read by it inside the room. The "fire exit" had furniture at the corner of the landing so you only had a small space to slip by. The shower had no place for toiletries or wash clothes...even though the previous tenants did find a place to perch the complimentary shampoo (know this because it was still there). The fridge and toaster-sized microwave were right next to the head of the bed so you got to listen to it run all night. Then you have the free 2 hr bike rental (date and time of their choice). for $100 - $150 per night was a ripoff. Been to Catalina before and only stayed here because of a Groupon deal. Could say more but the reminder is making me ill.

HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Brad,

Since the Hermosa Hotel changed management about five years ago, we have undergone major renovations, and continue to do so. We appreciate candid reviews like yours and make note of all concerns our guests bring to our attention. We also encourage guests to bring issues to our attention while staying with us, so that we can address them promptly. Our apologies for the details of your stay that could have been remedied, and we extend our assurance that the concerns you have listed will receive due attention. Thank you for your time.
Claremont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

First off luckily we got a good deal, for Avalon, on the hotel, I would have been miffed if I had paid full price. The pros, friendly staff, close to Vons and the beach. Con's, we stayed in the cottages which are small and basic, supposedly a quiet area but with thin walls it was extremely noisy from a combination of street noise, passers by and a construction site next door that started at 6.30am! TV was at right angles to the bed so we got stiff necks, Probably won't stay in the cottages again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the cottages near the street.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Thank you for your review. We too are less than thrilled with the nearby construction projects, but it is a necessary inconvenience. As for the street noise, Avalon generally quiets down substantially after 8pm, though on some weekends there is more foot traffic than usual.

A portion of our cottages are basic/"standard" cottages, but we do also have preferred cottages with kitchenettes. No two cottages are the same - there are a variety of amenities, bed arrangements, etc, including television placement.

Thank you for your time, and we hope to see you again!
Long Beach, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Have stayed three times, each better than the awesome visit before.... Could not compliment the staff more for capability or hospitality, friendly helpful, fun.... Perfect. Our room was at the top of the hill with a spectacular view, small kitchen let us cook and hang out on the deck and unwind which is what we needed this last trip. Better value for the money than any other hotel I can think of. Love the feel of Catalina, like being in Europe without having to change money or learn a new language, and when I come back, I will always stay at the Hermosa.

Room Tip: Tell the staff what you are looking for to be happy.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends