“This place is a DUMP!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hermosa Hotel

You added Hermosa Hotel to your Saves list
Hermosa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 Metropole Street, PO Box 646, Avalon, Catalina Island, CA 90704   |
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Avalon
Snohomish, Washington
“This place is a DUMP!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is by far the worst hotel we've ever stayed at! The walls were dirty, the bed was broken, the towels had holes in them. I attempted to open the blinds and couple fell off. The floor of the room tilted! The carpet was filthy, stained and had burn marks. The walls are so thin you can hear other people's conversations.

I will never stay here again and will not recommend it. For over $200.00 a night this place was unacceptable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hebrew first
Ramona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I found Hermosa Hotel inexpensive, close to the docking area, centrally located, and overall fabulous. I loved the fact that they had a luggage room and shower facilities you can use if you arrived before check-in or needed to use after checkout; the staff was warm and friendly, the rooms had a mini-fridge and spacious bathroom, and the hotel has a lounge where you could just hang out. And I loved the old-time feel there, with the antiques throughout the décor and old pictures of Catalina, etc. There were downsides: We were grateful to have a room on the bottom floor, and yet there was a great deal of street noise (golf carts dominate the Island, and are annoying after 10pm); and a few of the cottages like we had were up multiple stairs which would not have set well with some! All in all, I'll be back. Maybe asking for a room vs. cottage though!

Room Tip: I would ask for a room that's actually inside the hotel vs. cottages that are close to the stree...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
tastytravels4me
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in family room D, with 6 kids and two adults. We arrived and were allowed to be checked in early. We were pleased to find our very clean, comfortable room in the front of the hotel with a nice balcony right in the heart of town. It was a bit "cozy" with all of us, but we only were there for breakfast and to sleep, so we didn't mind. The hotel is so close everything- we could run back to the room during the day without any trouble. We enjoyed snorkeling, swimming out to the "dock" at the beach, hike to the botanical gardens and just had a great time exploring the island. We will be back. Thanks for your kind hospitality!

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

If you are looking for a diver friendly hotel, then the Hermosa is a good one; or for anyone who doesn't need pristine surroundings. They have 3 lockers for gear, nice aluminum carts to haul stuff around, a big storage room in the main building, and the rooms aren't fancy. One of the nicest things is that once you have checked out, but still dive/swim/hike/get dirty, you can use their large shower room afterwards to clean up before heading home on the ferry, or whatever. And they will give you towels/soap for the shower.

Room Tip: Upper units have stairs, which are never great if hauling gear. So go lower. The a/c in the cottages...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Irvine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I recently stayed here with my scout troop. Their family rooms were perfect for what we needed and the budget we had. The staff really makes this place worth it. They were friendly, helpful, and worked with me to get the reservations in order. They are knowledgeable about the island and offered to help in any way. We did find the rooms a little dirty, out dated, and things like the window blinds didn't really work. We also had one window that was propped up with a 2x4, something we didn't really want to mess with. Our rooms were RIGHT on the street and there was foot and street traffic throughout the night, some a little rough for the ears of my group. The mattresses had seen better days, but again... for my group (who didn't want to camp on this trip) the Hermosa Hotel worked well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I've written dozens of reviews on Trip Advisor, but I've never given such a low rating to a hotel until now.

Because there were 8 people in our party, I researched months in advance to find an economical place to stay in Avalon. I was quite happy with myself for finding a three-bedroom "family unit" at Hermosa Hotel for $392 a night.

I knew from reading the other Trip Advisor reviews that the Hermosa Hotel is old and not well maintained, but nothing prepared me for this place. Unfortunately, all the reviews appear to be of the 1-room cottages, and not of the family unit (which is far worse than the cottages).

Perhaps no one (besides us) has rented this family unit, which would explain why it hasn't been reviewed yet, and why there is a THICK layer of dust everywhere inside the place. It is so filthy that I refused to take off my shoes, and I was even afraid to take a shower there. I kept my sandals next to the shower so I could dry off and get out without stepping on the floor.

I've always thought it's a little tacky when people focus their reviews on things like dust, peeling paint, cracked windows, stained floors, water damage etc. But this place truly has all those problems and more. It was almost laughable, except that one room even had an electical outlet that was missing the cover plate (see my posted pictures) -- a serious safety issue -- especially since there was a 2-year old in our group. Thankfully, we only booked one night here, because I don't think I could have stayed for two.

We also encounted false (or at least misleading) advertising. The Hermosa Hotel website features a video tour giving the impression that it has an outdoor grill. (Our party of 8 was planning on using this grill to cook dinner.) But upon checking in, we learned that the grill is actually located at a "sister property" several blocks away (and up a hill), making it completely useless.

I still can't believe we payed $392 a night to stay here.

San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel is old, the walls are thin, showers are small, and there are really no amenities to speak of. BUT. It is a clean, comfortable place to stay. The staff is very nice and helpful. The bed was comfortable. What more do you really need after a day at the beach? I would definitely stay there again.