“very helpful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Perth, Australia
“very helpful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

would definitely recommend this hotel, stayed for two nights in a cottage, great location, room was fine, nothing too flash but comfortable and clean. the staff were amazing, very welcoming and even went out of their way to drop our ferry tickets to us when we left them in the room, thank you so, so much!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I booked this through Groupon (smokin' deal) and then read the reviews which I shouldn't have done. Too many people have trashed this hotel in reviews and we could not have had a more pleasant surprise! These people need to realize this place was built in the late 1800's! It was clean and comfortable and quiet and it was perfect! The staff was wonderful! We would definitely stay there again! LOVED THE PLACE!

Room Tip: We were in cottage "A" which is only 3 steps from the sidewalk. Most of the rooms have qu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I visited Catalina for the first time in January 2013 to run the Avalon 50 miler. I needed a place to stay for 2 nights that was close to the race start, not too expensive and close to everything in Avalon. The Hermosa worked perfectly for me. The service at this hotel rivaled any I've experienced at any hotel including 5 stars. The room was clean and they provided oh so many towels. I didn't have to ask for more. The last time I stayed at a nicer hotel there were two towels. This one had like six. The vons market was two doors down and the race start was two blocks away. The room was clean with no frills but it suited my purpose. The heating unit worked extremely well. The only issue was that it was on a timer and that seemed to be a bit of a nuisance. The Bathroom was clean and newly remodeled. The only other issue was the door. There was no chain and no dead bolt. I felt like the lock on the door could have been a bit more secure but I wasn't really worried about it. Great traditional old place for a great price. I paid 99 per night when most places in Avalon wanted twice that. I was very happy with my stay and the hermosa worked well for me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We got eaten up buy bed bugs ,we told the staff they did nothing about it .Dont stay here its the poorest Hotel in Catalina . It was also a party spot for the LA crowd with party's all night , this is because it is the cheapest hotel in town

• Stayed November 2012
HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Please note that this review is currently being investigated as fraudulent. Our staff takes unsurpassed preventative measures in dealing with the nationwide bed bug epidemic, which has proven extremely successful. Our hotels on-island are extremely competitive and we are confident that our review-savvy readers will use a critical eye when going through our listing.
Earth City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My GF and i spent the weekend of Nov.17+18, 2012 at the Hermosa Hotel. We stayed in Cabin D. Chris and Company at the front desk were very accommodating. He really helped us out and allowed us to stay even later with a late check out that allowed us to shower after sneaking in a few extra dives on Monday morning. Thanks Chris. They also have a great little cart that you can borrow to transport your dive gear to water which was very helpful for avoiding the $10 cab rides..

Place was great. Thanks.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! We will certainly pass along your wonderful comments to Chris...we are proud of the level of service our team provides. We especially enjoyed your comment on our dive carts! These are new to the hotel and we are overjoyed that it made your diving experience better. We hope to see you on your next vacation!
Pasadena, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

First, like most reviewers, I would like to say that the staff of the hotel were very kind and out-going. That is the only reason why I didn’t give the Hermosa Hotel a single point rating, because the property itself is run-down. My wife and I were booked into the hotel as we were part of a group. From the reviews that I read, I was coming in with very low expectations of the place. However, I was not expecting the hotel to be THAT run-down.

We didn’t have A/C in the room, not that big of a deal but other hotels around us do have it. Our carpet was stained/dirty and we never took our socks off. Unless we went into the shower; then we went in our flip-flops. They still use comforters for the bed when other places have changed to clean duvets. If the carpets were that dirty, imagine how often the comforters are washed. The sheets were tissue-paper thin and the pillows were almost as thin too.

The bathroom was full of mildew stains, from the corners of the shower, to the shower curtain as well. Its one of those shower curtains that can be easily washed too, which begs the question, how often do they wash the shower curtains? Three of our towels were stained, and one was so old, that it was almost see-through.

I’m writing not to be overly critical or mean, rather to show that with some really big TLC, the hotel can be more tolerable. Considering that I walked by many hotels, and they all seem to really take pride in keeping their properties clean and orderly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We were very concerned about your experience and tasked our Management team to seek out and correct the issues in the room you've described. Of course, we appreciate your positive comments on our staff...we are very proud of their top-notch service. We strive to provide a room that is simple, clean, and comfortable - despite the inherent challenges of refreshing an 116 year-old building. We currently have only one type of room which does not offer air conditioning: our diver-friendly combo-rooms...and we are pleased to mention that we have already started refreshing these rooms.

We always try to be responsive and welcoming to customer feedback, good or bad. Our staff consistently performs above and beyond the call of duty when given the opportunity to address your issues at any time of day or night. To this point, we encourage the reviewer to contact our main office to help us better review their stay.
Bonsall, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

You’ll either love it or…not. I was hoping our stay at the Hermosa Hotel would reveal the negative reviews were nothing more than mean-spirited griping from uptight snobs with no concept of funky charm, people who sneer at anything that doesn’t have turn-down service and a mint on the pillow.

Nope. The negative reviews of the cottages are, unfortunately, accurate.

This sounds contradictory, but the positive reviews are also generally true; there are some good things about this place. They are diver-friendly and allow you to stow your bag after you check out and even let you come back to take a shower. Relative to the cost of other lodging on Catalina, it’s cheap.

We stayed in cottage “H” for two weekend nights. The cottages are absurdly tiny, but the bed is comfortable and the room is equipped with an excellent heating and cooling unit. The kitchen and bathroom are serviceable, but again, miniscule. A pair of 250-pound adults would not fit comfortably in here. There is a working stove, microwave, and refrigerator. The location in town is perfect; the grocery store is less than two minutes away on foot.

I agonized over this review and ended up with two stars instead of one because the management does try hard to provide outstanding customer service, and because we stayed here as part of a group. We did not choose this accommodation ourselves, and wouldn’t have, so I don’t want to be completely unfair.

The size of the cottage might have been tolerable, maybe even somewhat enjoyable, except for two things:
First, the property infrastructure is horribly maintained. What a shame that the owners of an historic Catalina structure with such potential have allowed it to fall into an atrocious state of disrepair. I know work is currently being done in some areas, but please. Why bother with new floors and climate control systems in each unit but leave broken blinds and flimsy locks?

The owners should take a good look at some of the sparkling and beautiful neighboring properties. None of which, sadly, had vacancies the second night of our stay. The Hermosa seems to have a large following. Instead of trying to keep as many rooms booked as continuously as possible, they would be better off concentrating on upgrading entire whole units at a time, inside and out, instead of doing it piecemeal.

Second, our cottage was dirty. There is a stark difference between seaside funky and downright filthy. It almost felt like it had not been cleaned after the previous guests. The room was so small I had to clamber over my husband to get out of the bed. I couldn’t go around the end of the bed because there wasn’t enough room between the bed and the wall for me to squeeze through. And I’m a whopping 125 pounds. Besides, we had to store one of the bags down on the floor in the space between the foot of the bed and the front wall. Why didn’t we utilize the ample space UNDER the bed, you ask? Well, because I looked under the bed first and found a big, thick island of dirt and hair in the middle, where the mop didn’t reach. That mop obviously never went past a six-inch perimeter around the floor under the bed. That’s the respect your cleaning staff has for your new Pergo floors. The overhead fan hadn’t been cleaned in months, either, and it was missing a bulb.

But the worst thing was a giant clump of long dark hair wrapped around one of the screws in the bathroom door sill. I saw it instantly; the cleaning staff should have, too. Let me be clear: there is no way anyone doing even a cursory bathroom cleaning could possibly have missed this clump of wet creepy hair. They would have had to step over it. Your cleaning staff doesn’t care, or they never set foot in here after the previous guests.

As other reviews have mentioned, for those that subscribe to the “a room is only a place to sleep” theory of travel, good luck getting a restful night here. The street noise and people walking up and down the stairs were awful. You CAN hear everything. And what good is a non-smoking room when people are sitting outside smoking four feet from our door?

The management also needs to pay closer attention to who is in their lobby at night. They don’t staff it twenty-four hours a day. There is a computer in the lobby for guests to use, but when we went to use it, we saw what was apparently a local neighborhood kid taking advantage of it. I say “apparently” because when he was done, he got up, went outside, and rode his skateboard away.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hermosa Hotel? Share your experiences!